Ownership Verified: 2000 996 C2

I think you'll be fine in the winter. My car copes well with just Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7's. The ground clearance is no more of an issue that it's in the summer as most of the curbs and speed bumps are either removed or less intense due the snow.
Honestly I don't really feel a need for the PSM either. The car is so easy to handle on the limit that there's really no need for it. It's just a lot more fun without the electronic nannies. Sure my car has the viscous diff and some of the power probably ends up to the front wheels but it feels really rear biased and tail happy in a fun way. Not terrifying at all.
The only "issue" I've had is that when the transmission is cold you have to change gears by double clutching but you'll get used to it.

Absolutely lovely. While the 996 isn't my favorite either, I came around to the same realization that you had: it's still a 911! One of the best colors for the 996, well done.

Has the feeling finally sunk in? "I OWN A 911!" :D

Congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm slowly starting to adjust to the idea. :)

I had a similar journey surrounding the 996. While they are my least favourite 911 model, they're still a 911... And on balance, probably the best buy maybe because they're so unloved. They're the cheapest 911 here, they cost significantly less than a 993, and even most 964s, while being more modern.

The 964 I drove was awesome but I think I'd want to have the newer car if it was my daily.

Yup, cheaper and not as cool, but IMO a far better daily driver. Works for me.

I installed the iPhone cable to my Backer radio last night by the way.. Just used the radio keys, tugged it towards myself, unplug and replug new cable.. 15 min job :thumbsup:
Since one must unplug the cd-changer sugarcube from the behind the radio, at therefore cannot use the cd changer (I would never have used it either way), I'm putting it on ebay just to see iof there's any interest. They are listed from $150 to $350..
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...e+cdc-3&_nkw=Porsche+cdc-3&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Yeah, I'll do the same once I get some radio removal tools. Don't know where I'll put the connector though, because I'm gonna get rid of the center console. Good idea selling the changer as used Porsche parts seem to be pretty valuable.

I think you'll be fine in the winter. My car copes well with just Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7's. The ground clearance is no more of an issue that it's in the summer as most of the curbs and speed bumps are either removed or less intense due the snow.
Honestly I don't really feel a need for the PSM either. The car is so easy to handle on the limit that there's really no need for it. It's just a lot more fun without the electronic nannies. Sure my car has the viscous diff and some of the power probably ends up to the front wheels but it feels really rear biased and tail happy in a fun way. Not terrifying at all.
The only "issue" I've had is that when the transmission is cold you have to change gears by double clutching but you'll get used to it.

We shall see. I don't really doubt the car's winter driving characteristics. I guess it all depends on where you mostly drive. This city has a habit of making otherwise simple winter driving a bit of a pita.

I don't understand why the 996 is considered less cool. Could it be the watercooled engine? To me, that is the strong point, watercooled engines tend to be more reliable.

That's one reason. It lacks the iconic sound and feel of the aircooled engines. Another reason is the styling which was a pretty drastic change. A third is that it sold really well because it was more user friendly (the 996 and the Boxster pretty much saved Porsche financially) and as such a lot of non-enthusiasts bought it, making it less cool. Porsche did what they had to, the jump to watercooling was inevitable due to tightening environmental regulations. I think it was the right decision and they probably should've done it even earlier. Just look at where we are today with the 997 and 991.

I think its because its old enough not to look as 'cool' as the newest models, but not old enough to be considered classic yet. Hence it goes through the stage of being very cheap because no-one really wants to be seen in an 'outdated' car.

NB I'm not calling it outdated; I'd love to drive one but to me 911s aren't really what I'd want to own. That said; this does look pretty awesome since it doesn't have all the silly wings and stuff :p Also; damn that steering wheel made such a HUGE difference. :thumbsup:

This is the right time to buy a 996 Turbo. It's cheap now (well...) and it's still very fast. And it was epic back in the day.

That's one reason. It lacks the iconic sound and feel of the aircooled engines. Another reason is the styling which was a pretty drastic change. A third is that it sold really well because it was more user friendly (the 996 and the Boxster pretty much saved Porsche financially) and as such a lot of non-enthusiasts bought it, making it less cool. Porsche did what they had to, the jump to watercooling was inevitable due to tightening environmental regulations. I think it was the right decision and they probably should've done it even earlier. Just look at where we are today with the 997 and 991.

Quick question. Do you know when it last had an oilchange? I just did one, and the mechanic found metal particles in the oilfilter.........

This is the right time to buy a 996 Turbo. It's cheap now (well...) and it's still very fast. And it was epic back in the day.

Yup, some say it's the performance car "bargain" of the moment. It's still fast and also responds well to further tuning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question. Do you know when it last had an oilchange? I just did one, and the mechanic found metal particles in the oilfilter.........

Ouch! I feel for you... Mine had the big service done just before it was delivered to me. No mention of metal particles and I don't think they would've given a years warranty if they'd found metal particles in the oil.

After spending a whole day and some 600 kilometers behind the wheel I couldn't be happier with the 80? exhaust mod. Yesterday's video doesn't really do it justice. Here's another video, this time from inside the car.

[video=youtube;fX-gQonAAh4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX-gQonAAh4[/video]

Last edited:
A few more vids from yesterday. Thanks for these go to mikas.

Enthusiastic driving in the countryside. Miked inside the car as close to the engine as possible.
[video=youtube;FXcp-KXRu4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXcp-KXRu4g[/video]

A short clip with the GoPro's internal microphone outside the car.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a 911 Carrera/S to replace my G35 Coupe. I've loved the 911s for a few years now and dream of them.

Now that you have had yours for a while, what has been your experience owning one? People treat you different on the motorways?

I'm a DIYer as I prefer to get in the engine bays and know what is going on myself. I don't really trust mechanics to work on my cars, but will if the job is out of my scope. It looks like you are similar. How easy has it been to work on it yourself? I have all the basic tools. Jack stands, an impact gun, etc, so can I do most things in this car?

So! How goes the Porsche?

I demand answers. Please tell me your lack of updates does not mean you have been familiar to the IMS disaster or something awefull like that. I need to know everything is alright.

Let's hope he is too busy having fun! :lol:

All is fine, remain calm. :) I sorta came to my senses and put the car into storage for the winter. Winter driving would've been fun, but in the end it just didn't make sense. The car would've suffered too much from road salt, stone chips from tyre studs, cold starts etc. Since the car is in storage my car hobby has been on standby. I did a few small mods and repairs before putting the car in storage. I'll make a post on those come spring time. Just three more months...

Booooooooooooooooring :p j/k ..

I can relax now. And I have been like that, until I was like pff.. it's a car.. let's use it :)

I await pics of the mods.

Winter never really came, so the car is finally back on the road. Unfortunately it suffered a bit of paint damage during winter storage, but nothing too severe. A friend and I spent about 9 hours last weekend buffing the car and now it's looking better than ever. Luckily the scratches and haziness (no pun intended) were right on the surface and didn't require extensive buffing. After polishing it was treated to a nice coat of Collinite wax and Sonax detailer. I forgot to bring my camera, so I don't have too many before/after -pics. The scratches weren't a huge setback, since I was already planning to have the car buffed and polished this summer.

I also had the wheels aligned since I replaced the lower control arms on the front axle. For some weird reason the car had original adjustable front control arms, even though to my knowledge it shouldn't have had them. I replaced them with ordinary control arms, but now the car is bit more restless on worn grooved roads. I may have to rebuild the adjustable arms and move the new regular arms to the rear axle (they're identical, which is handy).

My "GT3 center console delete"-DIY is coming along nicely, will take some pics once it's finished.

Before pics on the left, after on the right. Note the before shot of the roof on the second row. It looks dirty or like a cat's paw prints, but they're actually scratches caused by a bad car cover.

20140322_Porsche996-BeforeAndAfter.jpg

A few afters before it got too dirty. A lovely deep gloss.

_full.jpg

_full.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: haz