1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
"S" version of the Maybach 62 revealed in China
http://img461.imageshack.**/img461/7867/1smallxt2.jpg
http://img463.imageshack.**/img463/929/2smallya1.jpg
http://img463.imageshack.**/img463/5250/3smalleh3.jpg
http://img461.imageshack.**/img461/5264/5smallxu5.jpg
http://img360.imageshack.**/img360/3030/4smallky8.jpg

World premiere at Auto China 2006

Maybach, the luxury brand with an illustrious past, re-established just four years ago, is adding a fourth variant to its line-up in the shape of the newly developed 62 S model. The "S" stands for "Special" and draws attention to the fact that the Maybach engineers at the Sindelfingen-based Manufaktur workshops have incorporated a wealth of meticulously developed, special features specified by their highly discerning customers into the new 62 S model. The result is a new dimension in travelling comfort, especially for the passengers in the generously proportioned rear compartment of the new high-end luxury saloon. Not to mention a prodigious power output thanks to the enhanced potency of the twelve-cylinder engine developing 450 kW/612 hp, making the new 62 S model the world's most powerful chauffeur-driven saloon in series production.

The new flagship model in the Maybach range is celebrating its world premiere at the "Auto China 2006" international motor show in Beijing in November ? a move which expends its range of high-end luxury saloons. The Maybach 62 S is primarily designed to be chauffeur-driven and meets the very highest of standards in terms of spaciousness, smoothness and comfort ? for a truly relaxing ride ? and dynamism for saving that most precious of commodities: time. Precisely what is needed in these increasingly frenetic times.

Exterior boasting a dynamically elegant appearance

Prominent exterior features accentuate the dynamic presence of the new Maybach 62 S and clearly distinguish it from the 62 model. These include a modified front end with a strikingly redesigned radiator grille as well as new, distinctive 20-inch spoked wheels and a modified light-cluster design. Like the 57 S model, the new Maybach 62 S boasts lavish single-tone paintwork in black or silver, both of which are available exclusively for the "S" models. Alternatively, customers can now specify a special paint finish in shimmering white. Discreet "62 S" lettering adorns the front wings beneath the A pillars and the boot lid, while a modified rear apron with two integral, trapezoidal exhaust tailpipes hints strongly at the immense performance potential of the 62 S. This dynamic and elegant appearance puts the Maybach 62 S in a league of its own when it comes to luxurious chauffeur-driven cars.

Further enhance the interior

The contemporary Maybach interpretation of lavish luxury, consummate comfort and superlative dynamism is also reflected in the interior of the 62 S. Here high-grade materials are hand-finished to perfection for a distinctive and particularly exclusive look, all in inimitable Maybach style. Carefully coordinated applications of exquisite piano lacquer and sporty carbon or anthracite poplar create an atmosphere of dynamic elegance both in the rear compartment and in the driver's direct field of vision and activity. Newly designed, high-grade leather upholstery tastefully accentuates this overall impression.

Twelve-cylinder powerplant and comfort-tuned chassis

Effortlessly superior performance in any situation comes courtesy of a Mercedes-AMG-enhanced V12 powerplant developing 45 kW/62 hp more than the engine specified for the Maybach 62. The twelve-cylinder engine in the Maybach 62 S has a displacement of six litres and an output of 450 kW/612 hp by virtue of a twin turbocharger and a water-type intercooler. The impressive maximum torque of 1000 Nm (electronically limited) is available over a wide engine speed range between 2000 and 4000 rpm. This provides even the most sportily inclined of Maybach drivers with effortless power reserves at all times. With acceleration from zero to 100 km/h in only 5.2 seconds, the new Maybach 62 S impressively demonstrates its outstanding performance potential. The top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h in chauffeur-driven vehicles.

The exclusivity of the twelve-cylinder powerplant is underlined by a model plate on the cover bearing the signature of the Mercedes-AMG technician who assembled it by hand based on the now familiar "one man, one engine" principle.

In contrast to the sportier configuration of the 57 S model for owner-drivers, which features a stiffer and lower chassis, the Maybach engineers decided to retain the full spring travel for the 62 S in order to achieve an outstanding, practically unsurpassed level of ride comfort. In terms of comfort, the chassis marks the absolute pinnacle of automotive engineering. Yet it also offers a high degree of dynamic potential for reliably transferring the power to the road whatever the scenario. Hence the Maybach developers have succeeded in reconciling, to a near perfect degree, two very different requirements.

Maybach continues its rich tradition

The outstanding attributes of the Maybach 62 S set new standards at the high end of the passenger car industry and also continue the tradition of the legendary Maybach saloons which represented the elite in German and international carmaking circles back in the 1920s and 1930s. Even then, many Maybach cars were built and equipped to be chauffeur-driven ? a tradition which the 62 S model is proud to honour.

Apart from the Excellero, I hate all Maybachs. If I were in that market, I'd get an S600L or S65 L AMG instead.

Although it doesn't matter - this is the nicest Maybach version they've done.

I'm glad they've released the Special version. I've been looking for a shopping runabout.

Nup. Still not a fan. Give me an S600L over this any day.

I like the concept of the MayBach but I don't like the look of them, much prefer the Rolls Royce Phantom. But I agree with SL65, would be just as easier to get a S 600, but these cars are all about ego hehe.

Still a hideous, Korean-looking, tasteless waste of space. Buy a Phantom, show you have money, class, and taste.

That's got to be the most awkward looking car I've ever seen. The whole styling of the car just looks, well cheap.

OMG SPEAKING OF A MAYBACH, I SAW ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

First time in my life i actually saw a maybach being driven on road. It was awesome. lol i was coming back from hockey, stopped at a stoplight. Saw this GIGANTIC thing turning and instead of recognizing the badge (since it was night) i saw the two tone color telling me its a maybach. Overtook some SLOW ass people, and walah.. there it was a MAYBACH. I think it was the 57 (the smaller one). It doesnt matter which one it was cause when its around you, it actually has a presence. Just like the ROlls! You know its not another expensive salloon. I didnt see anyone at the back. But WOW!!!

-Mojo-

Would much rather have an Arnage, in fact the Arnage is one of my favorite cars produced today.

The front end looks like a Hyundai.

Still a hideous, Korean-looking, tasteless waste of space. Buy a Phantom, show you have money, class, and taste.
Perfect for the easily amused nouveau rich douches just making their way in China, then.

I'd love to ride in the back, though.

Last edited:
The front end looks like a Hyundai.

Or an upscale Kia Amanti:

06.kia.amanti.500.jpg

The Maybach never was about styling or showing off how much money you have, its just to have the ultimate comfortable car, and I can see the point.

It's certainly not very pretty, but you can't really argue with that interior.. =)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Looks like it was designed in China. :lol:

It's certainly not very pretty, but you can't really argue with that interior.. =)

True dat, if you're a lazy arse spoiled rich guy who couldn't care less about driving or how the car looks, this is the perfect car for you.

I'D take the Maybach over the phantom anyday! Maybach isnt a car that shows off in anyway. Its practically heaven on wheels!

Ive probably seen over 10 phantoms here in Toronto, while only 1 Maybach. That doesnt really mean anything, as far as i know it could be the same car. Whatever the case it shows the exclusivity of an amazing piece of machinery. It has features that even the phantom lacks. And if you have all the money in the world, you can get it riced up with diamonds and gold layers - WOW! you could probably do that with a Phantom too but its definitly not at that level.

Jeremy said "Phantom is a yardstick for all luxury cars." At the same time i dont think the maybach would fit in that type of scale. At meets and rallies like GUmball etc there are several individuals who bring their phantoms (mostly middle age) but i havent seen one maybach.

I think of the Rolls and the maybach as Lamborghini and Ferrari. Almost all the rich people buy a ferrari, but only the rich and crazyed out buy lambos. But in this case, the rich and the powerful buy the Rolls, however, ones who are filthy rich, powerful, and have exclusive taste get the maybach.

How come everyone always leaves the arnage out of the picture? Is it that bad of a car?

Well, there's a cause and effect mixup. Perhaps there are more Phantoms because it is a better car, and appeals to a greater number of the extremely rich. In this light, exclusivity is a bad thing, since you've made the less appealing choice. Of course, in that strata there is no such thing as bad taste or a bad decision, as long as it doesn't leave you millions in debt or in jail...