2007 European Grand Prix

Webbers second last corner slip up to almost give Wurz the podium..

What a race! Really exciting shit, man Alonso is awesome I love all the risks he takes and how angry he gets. Things are starting to get real interesting, I don't know how I can wait another two weeks!!!

Man that Webber incident!! Man I was really hoping he'd lose the place. I don't have anything against Webber but I think its so funny how so many bad things happen to him.

Brilliant race. See what rain does to Formula 1 :D

Brilliant first 5 laps. Told ya Winkelhock wouldnt do anything :p

Well done Webber. Well deserved.

FUUUUUUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an absolutely enthralling race! A bit of rain is all a grand prix needs and then all hell breaks loose. Throw the form book out the window - I mean, we had Winkelhock leading!! Hamilton had great presence of mind to keep the engine running but unfortunately threw it all away with the tyre decision. I felt at the time (sitting in my armchair) it was a good call with the track drying, but I guess just not quickly enough. He was unlucky to not get a point because it was a great drive by him.

I thought Alonso had more fuel than Massa because he did stay in the pits two seconds longer so while the gap was gradually increasing, it wasn't too worrying but I was a bit surprised and disappointed to see him pit first. Then I was hoping that Massa would strike that wheel cover (he almost did!) but unfortunately not :p. Great battle between those two though, edge of the seat stuff but totally ballsy move by Alonso.

Webber did nothing for my nerves at that final chicane! So close but he got the podium and very well deserved! Fantastic for him after all that recent bad luck.

:D

Last edited:
Massa was pretty pissed off after that press conference. I couldn't really hear every word he said, but I think he was calling Alonso out of line for that pass on him. I think he's just angry about this being the second time he's second after the race looked like his.

It was totally a fair move. I don't see what Alonso has to apologise about, but I think his apology was more just a case of 'yeah I beat you man, I'm feeling fucking great coz I won this!'

^ White Ninja fan I take it? :D

And we need more from that safety-car on-board camera - what an awesome engine note.

It totally overshadowed the F1 engines. Martin Brundle even commented on it during the shot.

I don't know what Massa was complaining about. Alonso was faster, got his entire car alongside (not just a slight overlap), was at the edge of the track, and Massa moved into him. It's pretty black and white. Alonso pointing out the damage to the camera and wagging his finger then pointing at Massa was just hilarious.

Bloody good race I think, showed that in the rain it really brings out the skills of the drivers and the teams, sucks about Lewis going off tho, He had an amazing start going from 10th to 4th so quickly he easily could have got 3rd or even more.

Missed most of the end of the race also due to liquid problems - This time coffee v laptop...coffee won :(

What is the cone thingy that was on the track? Was that the weird rims of the wheels? And why are the wheels like that?

Ferrari have once again developed a new rim cover, but this time it has been so thoroughly developed that it doesn't rotate with the wheel any more. The new cover is fitted inside the front wheel to help brake disk cooling. The assembly comes with a newly developed wheel nut (see left image). The nut consist of a central, silver coloured part that does not rotate and is fixed to the wheel axis. Around it is a blue part that does rotate with the wheel. When the fronts wheels are now changed during a pit stop, the carbon rim cover comes off with the nut as one part. After a new tyre is fitted, the wheel nut is again put on with the help of a specially developed screwer to ease handling for the pit crew.

The new system is ingenious in a way that it allows for the cooling exit (opening in lower left of right image) can stay at the same location all through the lap and hereby increase brake cooling and wheel aerodynamic efficiency. The fixed location meanwhile also has the benefit that it washes away earlier protests of rivalling teams who claim that the wheel covers (the ones that rotate with the wheel itself) are forbidden moveable aerodynamic devices.

The brake cooling exhaust in the static fairing is located down and backwards to try to direct the air under the sidepods. Hence it will also improve rear end downforce.

Seems to help a lot.

btw, great race, missed the beginning, got the replays :D

What is the cone thingy that was on the track? Was that the weird rims of the wheels? And why are the wheels like that?

looked like one of them wheel discs yeah, might not have been though. i thought it was off a ferrari since they have them on all 4 wheels, but the cameras showed that massa had all his intact and kimi was already out by this stage

i think renault are another team, they use them on the back of the car, cant remember what other teams use them

It totally overshadowed the F1 engines. Martin Brundle even commented on it during the shot.

I don't know what Massa was complaining about. Alonso was faster, got his entire car alongside (not just a slight overlap), was at the edge of the track, and Massa moved into him. It's pretty black and white. Alonso pointing out the damage to the camera and wagging his finger then pointing at Massa was just hilarious.

I thought Alonso was complaining about Massa defending his position like that. Come on Alonso it's called racing!

He apologized for getting angry at Massa.

I think Alonso said Massa hit him on purpose. If so, come on Alonso...Massa isn't Schumi! LOL.

What a great race, I was chomping off my fingers at the end....I really really really wanted Massa to win. Although I am happy that Alonso has closed the gap on Lewis.

I wasn't expecting the race to go right to the end. Shouldn't it have been stopped early? I dunno. I can't blame Massa for losing pace in the rain, it's not so much his fault as it is the car and the fact that Alonso is just a better driver in the rain. He ended up some 7 or 8 seconds behind.

I can really understand his frustration.

Awesome race... That and the MotoGP made for some red eyes at work today!

What would've been funny, though, is if Massa and Alonso had taken each other out with 4 laps to go, giving the win to Webber, Steven Bradbury style :lol:

migth of been more awesome if schumi was still driving.... dudes just a monster in the wet. he always seemed to have that ability to just feel out that little bit more grip than anyone else

Massa lost it when Alonso had 3 or 4 turns of front wing added and Massa just went for what he had. I like it when Massa loses :D

iirc, Massa said he had vibrations on the wheels, so he couldn't go all out

I thought it was Alonso having a go at Massa, seeing as (once again in his childish post race win manner) he was pointing out the minor tyre contact to the cameraman.

Yeah, it turns out Alonso had a go at Massa, he accused Massa of trying to take him out when Alonso overtook him. When Speed showed the footage it looked like Massa had started the argument with Alonso, but that wasn't the case.

Man that Webber incident!! Man I was really hoping he'd lose the place. I don't have anything against Webber but I think its so funny how so many bad things happen to him.

Your deportation papers are now being processed. :p

Ahh, having read further into the argument, I guess I was wrong with my comments blaming Massa for being antagonistic towards Alonso - other way round! We missed it coz Ch10 decided to cut to one of their ever more frequent ad breaks...

Devon, his ticket to China is ready. :p

Massa is useless at anything other than leading from pole on a dry warm track. Kimi would have won if not for hydraulic failure, he was smashing out fastest lap after fastest lap.

Alonso fully deserved the win though. He is fabulous in the rain. Well done to Winkelhock haha they should have kept the race going, would have made interesting viewing chasing down a Spyker with a 34 second lead!