2007 Japanese Formula 1 Grand Prix

Honda's also useless in the wet (see Barrichello!), it's just Button knows how to drive a car in the rain.

Button gets the rain he hoped for

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, September 30th 2007, 00:27 GMT

Jenson ButtonJenson Button's prayers for more rain to help deliver a good result in Honda's home Grand Prix have been answered, as he sets his sights on a surprise result in what looks set to be a wet race this afternoon.

The Briton will start from sixth place on the grid at Fuji and is bullish that the wet weather that has greeted the teams this morning, allied to his fuel strategy, could see him challenging near the front.

"If it is wet, sixth has got to be the worst we can hope for," said Button, who is well aware that wet weather allows him to overcome his RA107's deficiencies.

"The first four cars, if nothing goes wrong, are pretty impossible to beat, but Nick Heidfeld is possible. We were close in Q2, and in Q3 he was obviously a lot quicker than me and I think there is a reason for that."

Button concedes that the sixth place grid position, his and the team's best qualifying position of the season, is far more than their car deserves.

"It is great to get up there," he said. "Our car doesn't deserve to be in the top ten, so it is nice to be top six. It was a good qualifying.

"These wet conditions always throw it up in the air a little bit, and we always seem to come out a lot better than if it is dry.

"It is slippery conditions for everyone, which is good. When it is dry it is normally just slippery for us and not other cars.

"I love these conditions as well, I excel in these conditions. It is nice to have a wet qualifying and be sixth on the grid.

"It is the first time this year it's been wet, apart from the Nurburgring. It is nice to get some wet, as it is the only way to get a good position for the race. We can do a lot from there."

Source

So it look like it will rain after all :dance:

HondaF1 = :woot:

Very interesting Qualifying!!! The mist made it crazy....F1 doesn't usually happen in the fog!! Where did Massa's wet weather speed come from?? Why can't he drive like that in races?

Button showed that he is truly one of the top drivers on the grid. Simply amazing performance. If Honda don't give him a championship winning car soon they should pay him $50million a year compensation.

Vettel!! What a great drive! Surely a star for the future. Also usual great performance by Webber.

I really thought Alonso had it all over Lewis. Alonso is great in the wet and seemed to have the edge which is perfectly understandable. But that last lap was absolutely superb, truly wonderful qualifying performance.

Still....I hope Kimi wins the race!

Button better not forget Webber is right behind him and he is also good in the wet.

If it's a wet race, expect Renault to struggle as they gambled on a dry set-up.

Last edited:
I really thought Alonso had it all over Lewis. Alonso is great in the wet and seemed to have the edge which is perfectly understandable. But that last lap was absolutely superb, truly wonderful qualifying performance. \

If you watch their respective laps again. Lewis was on the limit. Alonso looks like he had a tiny bit in reserve. I think Alonso has this race.

Although, it's wet and Button is going to drive well.

If you watch their respective laps again. Lewis was on the limit. Alonso looks like he had a tiny bit in reserve. I think Alonso has this race.

Although, it's wet and Button is going to drive well.

Can't wait to see Hamiltons choppy start tomorrow. I get the feeling that he is going to take alonso right out.

^ Alonso will be expecting it, so he'll go around the other side and have the racing line.

That said. Alonso wont mind going off course with Hamilton if it means Kimi gets closer so Hamilton has two to worry about.

That first corner is going to be fun! I think Alonso might try to do a Schumacher again.

First corner is irrelevant really. We might be seeing 67 laps under the safety car. I am in two minds about this. Half of me thinks get the hell on with it. If you don't like it slow down, that said....it is monumentally wet out there.

Exactly the same conditions as Fuji 1976 where Lauda refused to keep running and lost the title....could we see a repeat?

Does F1 ever do a NASCAR - red flag the race for an hour or two and then run?

possible.....but more likely will just continue to run under the safety car.

Rubbish spectacle.

Didn't nigel mansell win a race like this once? he was the only one willing to put the power down...?

We are racing.....this is insane!!! Vettel 3rd Webber passed Button for 4th!!!

Crazy crazy conditions.

i'm annoyed.. i got up at 6:00 AM for this race and there's no race. :mad:

It an AWESOME race.....I love it!! Vettel is leading the grand prix!!! Gerhard Berger will be exploding with pride. Kimi is smashing his way through the field!!! yeehaa!!!

HondaF1 will be loving it, Kubica just swiped Hamilton!!! I am so excited hahahahaha

Last edited:
looks like vettel could have a chance on the podium

Toro Rosso's 3rd AND 4th!! I really really hope Webber can pass Hamilton. Surely he can hold off the sister team cars so just has to worry about attacking Lewis.

Lewis' title hopes just became almost certain.....almost!