2008 Acura/Honda NSX V10

Do you REALLY think Honda would make a flagship model and not put VTEC on it? I don't think so...

they should put a vtec in their F1 :p

The NSX was not 'exclusive'; it was a flop. Personally it's one of my favourite cars, but 270K AUS (roughly) for a V6 Honda? I'd rather a used 360 or a brand new M3 CSL and pocket the 50 or so thousand dollars change (easier said than done as that was actually an 'exclsuive' vehicle). Can't wait to see the V10 one though...wonder if it will be VTEC yo' :p
When the NSX was introduced there was no better way to spend the money. It was the lightest, fastest, and best handling car this side of the F40.
Uh, wow, you guys are smart.

VTEC was developed FOR F1(dunno if it was ever used tho) and first appeared in a consumer vehicle in the NSX in 1991.

so yeah...

Also, it's not "a vtec"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC
Wrong, VTEC was designed for the street because that's the only place it is useful. One cam profile for economy, one for performance. Racecars would not benefit from VTEC because they would never use the economy cam profile.

Maybe I am wrong, but I always heard it was a cam for low end torque and one for top end power and race cars also benefit from torque in the lower rev range...

Wrong, VTEC was designed for the street because that's the only place it is useful. One cam profile for economy, one for performance. Racecars would not benefit from VTEC because they would never use the economy cam profile.

When used that way, yes. But it can also be tuned to give optimum power and torque thru the rev range. A lot of people tune thier variable valve timing systems for this purpose.

^ please keep blessing us with more of your unmatchable knowledge.

The first V-Tec equipped Honda was the CRX and Civic in 1989.

And what I would expect from Honda with their next-gen NSX will be V-Tec, 4-WD and yes, throw your eggs at me.... hybrid. Or to put it in official Honda-words:
the IMA-system. Obviously not for fuel-saving but as sort of a turbo.
The same system as used in the Honda Dual-Note concept-car.

As the NSX is overdue somewhat, I assume it is to the fact of Honda not being sure of using it (IMA) or not. I recall in the late 90s a Honda-testdriver killed here in Germany on the Autobahn whilst on a test drive with a Ferrari. I remember pictures and a heavily disguised NSX-mule in the back-ground.
Something is finished, but not quite ready for what reason ever.
:blink:

The first V-Tec equipped Honda was the CRX and Civic in 1989.

yeah I checked my shit later and found that out, I'm all like, :oops:

But yes, variable valve timing systems have been developed and used in F1(they were also outlawed, dunno if they are legal again or not tho). a lot of street tuners will play with the VTEC VVTi and so forth settings to give more power throughout the rev range. Most computers offer the option to save more than one map and VTEC point, so you can have a daily driving fuel efficient map, then a trackday power map, etc.

What does it matter? 99.9% of Americans can't afford a $100,000 car no matter what brand it is.

that 0.1% market is big btw if its really 0.1%

yeah I checked my shit later and found that out, I'm all like, :oops:

But yes, variable valve timing systems have been developed and used in F1(they were also outlawed, dunno if they are legal again or not tho). a lot of street tuners will play with the VTEC VVTi and so forth settings to give more power throughout the rev range. Most computers offer the option to save more than one map and VTEC point, so you can have a daily driving fuel efficient map, then a trackday power map, etc.
VTEC is not the same as F1 style Variable Valve Timing.

VTEC simply switches from one set of cam lobes to another at a certain RPM. F1 cars had (have?) constant variable cam lobes that change profile every single rpm for the best possible overlap, not just "good enough."

kaBOOMn said:
Sorry guys and gals, you've been taken in by the "playstation factor"
Not the actually few who have had the pleasure of driving one.

kaBOOMn said:
I know its really sad, and it really hurts but facts are facts
Maybe you should look up the definition of the word fact.

kaBOOMn said:
Saldy the NSX will be for people who really couldn't afford a Ferrari etc etc and are tying to get into the rich club....
What is a Porsche then?

So...soul is all in the badge, is that it? Bottom line if there was a prancing horse on the nose instead of a "H" (or "A" for us Seppos) you would be singing a different toon...now that is sad.

kaBOOMn said:
I hope I'm wrong, but the problem is a lot of people don't know "what makes a car tick"
:shock: WOW, what a pretentious comment. Honestly have you ever driven one? Oh wait you 'know what makes a car tick' so you never needed to. Your prejudice is unbelievable...well actually not, the ignorant sound the same the world over. How shallow... :no:

What does it matter? 99.9% of Americans can't afford a $100,000 car no matter what brand it is.
Its more like 2-3% of the population could afford one, if you go by the IRS tax brackets. Take into account leasing it probably jumps to near 5+%. That is a lot of people; the top 5% wage earners it is over 6 million.

Last edited: