2008 American Le Mans Series thread

Twerp128

Car(s)
'91 Miata, '09 Street Triple
The Twelve Hours of Sebring just finished. Porsche takes overall victory with the P2 RS Spyder, and finishes first and second in the GT2 class. The C6.R takes GT1, miles ahead of the Astons, and Audi and Peugeot lag far behind their gasoline powered rivals. Next race is in St. Petersburg, less then a month away, April 5th. Good race overall but nothing can beat last years finish.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWo8VdMb8I[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I really did search.

I wouldn't say Audi was lagging that far behind, the strongest R10 was only about a minute behind the winning Porsche which is not much over 12 hours. Without uncharacteristic reliability issues they would have been hard to beat. The Peugeot was clearly the fastest car around but they still haven't solved their reliability issues.

I watched this great race, too and the only conclusion i can draw is:

When Porsche is able to taunt the whole LMP1 field with an LMP2 racecar, what would a Porsche LMP1 do?

The Peugot was surely the fastest car on track, but it was not durable and it is questionable if the audis showed all their performance in sebring.

Further more there was fantastic racing, shown in the GT2-class: The Porsche teams did a great job, by beating the Ferrari F 430 Rs!

The Peugeot was clearly the fastest car around but they still haven't solved their reliability issues.
They were FAST as ?$%"!
Did they use a overboost or something at the first laps?
At normal race speed, they were not so much faster then the Audis but what happend at the first laps?

The Porsche teams did a great job, by beating the Ferrari F 430 Rs!
You mean the leading Ferrari did a great job humiliating himself (at least he took a Farnbacher with him) :D

You mean the leading Ferrari did a great job humiliating himself (at least he took a Farnbacher with him)
I actually do not know why the Ferrari did not brake, all i know is that he was way too fast and caused an accident, where an innocent porsche and nearly an audi r10 have been damaged. But that's racing, Porsche won in the end and deservedly so!

Bah, too bad the Ford GT and the LS3 C6 didn't do so well. The new Viper at least finished, but behind two 911s and two F430s.

Anyways, this season should be very exciting indeed!

I think we can all agree this is the end of the Reign of Audi. Surprised it took this long.

IWhen Porsche is able to taunt the whole LMP1 field with an LMP2 racecar, what would a Porsche LMP1 do?
Look up: 956/962, 917 and 935... That says it all really... Back in those days you (as a racing driver) were at a distinct disadvantage is you weren't in a Porsche.

I think we can all agree this is the end of the Reign of Audi. Surprised it took this long.
I'd say that happened last year, when Penske's LMP2 Porsches managed to beat the LMP1 Audis and take the overall honours in 8 out of 12 races. You'd also have to remember that a factory Audi team with bottomless pockets got beaten by a privateer that by comparison is running on a shoestring budged, and in a lower class (ouch...!) This has been my theory about Audi's success, it's only due to a lack of decent competition. Basically all it's been up against is privately entered Lolas, Courages and other (underdeveloped) prototypes.

I disagree with that. The main reason why Audis were beaten last year (and by the look of things this year) by the LMP2's is the ALMS ruling that puts LMP1:s(especially the Diesels) and LMP2:s to pretty much equal terms. In a way it's understandable, considering the amount of LMP1 cars around these days, but as LMP1 cars are much more expensive and can barely win races with their much more expensive cars is not a very good thing for the manufacturer and it's no surprise that Audi almost withdrew from ALMS for this season.

Once the cars get to Le Mans and are able to run under normal sportscar regulations the Audis and Peugeots and rest of the LMP1 field will smoke the LMP2:s. Not by as much as last year as the Porsches seem to be faster than the other LMP2 field (apart from Acuras but they won't be at Le Mans).

Too bad Porsche's LMP2 cars have been banned from Le Mans.

marcos_eirik said:
Look up: 956/962, 917 and 935... That says it all really... Back in those days you (as a racing driver) were at a distinct disadvantage is you weren't in a Porsche.
Yes, that's true and i want these times to come back! ;)

argatoga said:
Too bad Porsche's LMP2 cars have been banned from Le Mans.
That's not true! They are not banned, but they are regulated to have 50kg more weight.

That's not true! They are not banned, but they are regulated to have 50kg more weight.

Ah I thought they were banned. Do you have a link?

Sorry, I've got no link, i just read it in the german car-magazine "sport auto":
Here some facts from the report (page 98, sport auto 2/2008):
ACO:
- 50 kg more weight for the LMP2
- reduction of the tank capacity to 80l
- 25 kg less weight for the LMP1

IMSA:
- (only) 25kg more weight for the LMP2
(i don't know, what the IMSA does about the other 2 points of the new ACO's regulations)

Pretty late... I recorded the whole thing on my DVR, and just finished watching it.

It was a good race, congratulations Penske Porsche, they finally won Sebring.

Really wish Porsche would come back to Le mans.

That Peugeot was really fast! Hope they can solve those reliability issues and be competative in Le Mans.

Erm... how do you mean?
The Penske LMP2 cars didn't participate in the 2006 and 2007 Le Mans race, even though they were qualified.

The Penske LMP2 cars didn't participate in the 2006 and 2007 Le Mans race, even though they were qualified.

Well, Penske and Dyson won't take the RS Spyder to Le Mans, but a Danish team and a Dutch one will use them.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWo8VdMb8I[/YOUTUBE]

HOLY SH**!!!!!! Awesome!!! 12 hours and it all came down to that!!!

EDIT: 3 quarters of a thousand posts...

yeah, that vid was from last year...but it was still a good race this year.

esp with the Peugeot in lmp1

i went to road atlanta for petit lemans last year, i'll prob. be there again this year :D