2008 Brazilian Formula 1 Grand Prix ? Title Decider

:think:

Dammit, now you've got me excited & thinking about seeing Webber in a McLaren!

Err, not 'excited' in that way... ahem...

I just got it and its not webber. :lol:

Hint: Ferrari fans sworn enemy. (after Hamilton:p) :p

man, what a race. I was on my knees the last 2 laps. I just couldn't believe it when I saw
4.VET
5.HAM

Disbelief at first, and then sadness...

:D

oh well.

Anyways, Massa was briliant, great drive, great pace.
Hamilton, awfull, a drive not worthy of a champion. It allmost cost him the title! BUt i must congratulate him, he did a good jod, won the DC and has great potential for more!

Alonso was also great, he really is one of the best, if not the best on the grid! That pass on Heiki was genius!
I didn't like him before, but now when he just sits and drives his race, I see that he trully is magnificent!!

Vettel? he is just wow! His future could be great! Should be! A german in ferrari again? I wouldn't mind :D

so...on to 2009

Ummm...Vettel?

The thing that gets me is why it took so long for McLaren to bring Hamilton in for his first stop to change to the slicks. When Fisichella in a Force India is setting purple sectors through the twisty section, it was clear to me that the slick tyre was the one to be on and Hamilton had to be brought in as soon as possible. Instead McLaren left him out for another two laps, which was far too long. The right time to pit was when Alonso and Vettel went in so I was spitting when I saw Hamilton go past for another lap. McLaren have a team back in Woking who watch the TV feed and relay information back to the pitwall. If it was obvious to me, then surely it must've been obvious to them? You can play the safe option but they almost played it too safe.

Massa drove a superb race and did everything he was asked to do. He must look back at races such as Malaysia and Silverstone where it was his incompetencies that lost him the critical points, and given the overly harsh penalties applied to Hamilton over the course of the year (France, Belgium and Japan) Massa would not have been a deserving champion anyway. Did the best man win the championship? I think yes. Sure, Hamilton wasn't flawless and he made some massive mistakes through-out the course of the year such as ramming Raikkonen at Montreal, and the Fuji disaster. But there were also the races where he was supremely dominant, such as Australia, Britain, Germany and China.

People might argue that Kubica or Alonso would be more deserving champions. Perhaps, perhaps not. Kubica drove brilliantly through-out most of the year, but he really dropped it in the last three races. Alonso was outstanding in the final stages of the season, but there were also performances such as Monaco, Canada and Germany where he let some mistakes creep into his driving. I hope Renault and BMW can build decent cars for next year and that those two drivers can challenge Hamilton, Massa and a re-energised Raikkonen in 2009.

Congratulations to Ferrari for winning the constructors championship. It's difficult to say who had the best car as both teams were strong at different circuits (the Ferrari favoured the hotter conditions whereas the McLaren was better when it was cooler). I'm disappointed that Kovalainen couldn't make the step up and the fact that McLaren didnt win the constructors championship should fall largely on his shoulders. Still, a Ferrari fan might've said the same for Raikkonen had the cards fallen the other way.

All the same, 2008 hasnt been a vintage year. Too often we saw races decided by the stewards which left bitter tastes in the mouths of all genuine F1 fans. They were inconsistent and applied penalties seemingly at random. I still can't believe how they came to the Spa decision given the ambiguous nature where they should've erred on the side of discretion and allowed the result to stand. Noone was able to find a convincing argument for the penalty and the stewards never gave their reasons. I hope that in 2009 they take a step back and only involve themselves in incidents that are truly deserving of action.

Bye Bye to David Coulthard and ITV. I was disappointed to see Coulthard's race ended prematurely by Rosberg at the first corner and its a poor end to what has been a pretty solid career. In stark contrast, the send off for ITV couldn't have been better surely? An involving race, a highly emotive climax, a British champion, and a thoroughly enjoying commentary provided by James Allen, and Martin Brundle with Ted Kravitz giving us the best line of the race with 'it's highly illegal to be here in the pitlane, but it's our last race, who cares!' James Allen was informative, entertaining and delivered possibly his best performance in recent years. I hope he finds work in the sport because he is very good at what he does, but all the same I'm still glad for a change.

Don't worry about James. There's always the BTCC. I'm extremely sad about David Coulthard. Not a way to end his 14 year career, by being punted off be Rozbery. Hope he doesn't finish racing altogether. Maybe he could go to the World Touring Car Championship. I don't know.

God speed David. ;D

Absolutely stunning conclusion to what has been an incredibly action packed Formula 1 season. This is the first season I've watched every lap of every race and I have been duly rewarded.

I was rooting for Lewis to win this. Not because he's an overly nice guy (not that he's evil or anything, but he does have a bit of an ego), but because he was without doubt the best driver in the field this year. Felipe was great, don't get me wrong, but Lewis was a better driver and if it weren't for FIA intervention multiple times this season with obvious prejudice in favour of Ferrari, Lewis would have had this in the bag weeks ago.

Definitely sad to see David Coulthard out like that after such a remarkable career in F1. I laughed when he said he was hoping to make it to the chequered flag and do donuts, fines be damned! I can't wait to hear him on the BBC commentary team next year. It was also great to see he was a true sportsman to the end, waving to the crowd as he walked back to the pits from turn 1 of lap 1 of his final grand prix. I don't know that I could have been so gracious in such a situation after getting taken out.

The following pissed me off though:

I didn't stay up for the final grand prix of the season last night (3am can die when I have class all day) so I've been trying to avoid news all day so I could watch it tonight without knowing what happened. I've seen and heard glimpses of the what happened during the day but have been fairly successful in avoiding hearing anything conclusive.

Fast forward to now, when I've finally been able to sit down and watch the full 71 laps of the race. I'm sitting here at my computer, with it on full screen on a 24" monitor (ie it's big and obvious what I'm sitting here doing). With 12 laps left in the race, mum walks in, talks to me about something else for a minute, then says "did you hear that Hamilton guy won?"

Thanks mum.

^That certainly killed the suspense!! :drums:

Thanx. I'll be here all week!!

Best pic ever.

http://img90.imageshack.**/img90/2408/article1082471025616bb0rl7.jpg

:cool:

sunpic25.jpg

That's my favourite picture. I don't think we'll ever see a podium more gothic than that one. Dark clouds, heavy rain, flashes of thunder and three guys with nothing to cheer about.

The image of a man heartbroken. :( And he still had the strength to put on a smile for his fans...

You have to feel sorry for Massa. I mean yeah, in the end, Hamilton was World Champion, and he deserved it after all the rubbish that the stewards threw at him, but Massa got stampeded by his own team in some critical moments. Both of them made mistakes, both were put down by outside influence, but both had their flashes of brilliance this year.

In the end, the best man won, but either of them would have dearly deserved it.

And Aston Martin, this is the photo you were looking for:

sunpic24.jpg

Last edited: