2008 Canadian General Election (October 14)

Shawn

Lexus? Oh shi-
Car(s)
MkVI GTI w/DSG
This morning the Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, asked the Governor General to dissolve parliament and call a general election on October 14, 2008 after the shortest campaign allowed by law - 40 days. Yeah, take that America with your 3 year process of primaries and caucuses.

For those that don't know, Canada's parliamentary system is like the UK. We indirectly elect the PM by voting for our own members of parliament.

I don't know if anyone cares about Canadian politics, but I'm guessing one or two Canucks might have some things to say.

For now, I don't have much. I guess Harper called the election a year and 5 days earlier than scheduled because he expects to win a majority. It'll be interesting to see how they fare the campaign.

Let's say for now I'm really disliking Stephane Dion. I've always been a Liberal but I might have to give my vote to another party this year. He seems vastly incapable, and we don't need another Francophone PM, pleeeease.

Wikipedia

Last edited:
I care too, this is the first election I get to vote in, to be honest I am not sure who I am going to vote for. Either way I am thankful we have a great system in Canada.

When do you guys vote on the separation of Quebec from Canada? Is that like every 10 years?

When do you guys vote on the separation of Quebec from Canada? Is that like every 10 years?

No, it's more like whenever the Quebecois get their collective panties in a bunch and decide they want to pretend they're self-sufficient and that France likes them.

I'll be voting PC, even if I was a Liberal supporter I would be voting PC because Dion is such a useless tit.

First one was in 1980... second one was in 1995. Both of them failed so I think the separatist cause is slowly dying. Plus the government came out with a law in the early 2000s that stipulated even if Quebec voted to separate, it would still be the federal government who needs to allow it.

Also, all of the separatist parties are starting to lose their seats and influence. In fact, they were saying on the news tonight how Bloc Quebecois (who are separatist and field candidates in Quebec only), are probably going to lose quite a few seats this election to nationalist parties.

Separatism is not a big deal, even though a lot of Americans think it's a pressing issue. Even the Quebecois seem to have finally realized they stand absolutely no benefit in seceding from Canada. Who wants to leave a G8 nation to form it's own tiny country in a continent made up of 3 huge-ass nations?

And BCS, I agree. I would normally vote Liberal but this time around I can't... and as much as Harper has surprised me in a good way since he took office, I still don't want to vote for him. Also, I was watching the news for a few hours earlier and Jack Layton definitely does seem like a decent guy and politician. I'm thinking of voting NDP this time, for the first time.

No, it's more like whenever the Quebecois get their collective panties in a bunch and decide they want to pretend they're self-sufficient and that France likes them.
Couldn't have said it better :lol:

I'll be voting PC
Well that goes without saying...

{Berserker's sidebar info} said:
:p

Actually, I'm all for another minority. Nothing ever seems to get done with a minority and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Any truth to what I heard about Harper wanting to call elections early because he's worried about Obama winning. I guess because if the US goes more left, Canadians will be inclined to do the same...I dunno, what a way to make everything revolve around the US...lol.

^ I doubt it. He called the election now because he either expects to win more seats and perhaps even a majority, or for some odd reason because he expects to be weaker than the Liberals in 2009.

But Harper did call Jack Layton the Obama of Canada. Weird...

Well that goes without saying...

:lol: Tough to shake that stereotype, haha! In all honesty, I'm fairly liberal in my political views, but Canada's parties all seem to have met in the middle somewhat and the PC's aren't nearly as conservative as they used to be. I think Harper's done a decent job in office so far and he's well on his way to getting rid of many spendthrift programs. The NDP and Layton aren't too bad, but Layton's jumped on the Global Warming bandwagon and that rules him out for me.

Am I the only one that finds this whole scenario disturbing?

Essentially, in my mind it reads as Harper saying "HEY I HEAR YOU GUYS HAVE A CRUSH ON ME I DO TOO LET'S GO ON A DATE" and it'll either play out as Canada gets pregnant, or gets married for two or so years. Either way, the whole scenario is in no way driven by extended logic, which is EXACTLY what the world needs right now.

Am I the only one that finds this whole scenario disturbing?

Essentially, in my mind it reads as Harper saying "HEY I HEAR YOU GUYS HAVE A CRUSH ON ME I DO TOO LET'S GO ON A DATE" and it'll either play out as Canada gets pregnant, or gets married for two or so years. Either way, the whole scenario is in no way driven by extended logic, which is EXACTLY what the world needs right now.

I have absolutely no idea what your analogy here is about. :?

I have absolutely no idea what your analogy here is about. :?

High school popularity driven relationships and emotion/relationships, translated into this scenario as a snap election and the possibility that the expansion of the Harper powerbase will be driven by nothing other than good times.

Hell, are the times even that good?

I never thought Harper was that strong of a guy. I think its a ballsy decision might pay off but i bet it will be more like a power sharing think they will have their majority but barely. When ever you think of Canada remember the ballsiest days are yet to come when they tell the royals to stuff it

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IloIoGj5Mj0[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know who to vote for, personally I would like to see less ties to the United States and more a independent Canada. However it seems there is really no one to vote for that will do that.

P.S. Green Party fucking sucks, I hope they get no seats

I voted for Harper last time around, and I'll vote for him again I reckon. He seems the most genuine of all the leaders. I love that once he was in office, he immediately got down to getting things done and doing what he was elected to do rather than waste time squabbling with the other parties. He does the least amount of politicking compared with the other party leaders and isn't afraid to speak his mind. He tends to remain level headed and logical about whatever hype is currently in the headlines and doesn't let himself get swept up in it and manipulated by it. He's also very strong on the international stage and on defence and isn't afraid to go up against the USA or the Soviets (oops, Russians), or China to fight for Canada's interests (the arctic sovereignty being a good example). I think a country like Canada, which is a bit wish washy and aimless at times, has benefited and will continue to benefit from a strong and determined leader like Harper.

High school popularity driven relationships and emotion/relationships, translated into this scenario as a snap election and the possibility that the expansion of the Harper powerbase will be driven by nothing other than good times.

Hell, are the times even that good?

I don't see what the issue is.

The Westminster parliamentary system which was founded in the UK and is now used in dozens of Commonwealth and other countries, just works like that. The leader of the party with the most seats in the House can call an election when they wish... heck. if Gordon Brown wanted to he could have elections next month,

Hope your elections don't turn into those like the ones around here because i land in Vancouver on the morning of 13th and don't fancy being stuck in the middle of street fights or a military coup ;)

I know how much sepratists like a fight.

Hope your elections don't turn into those like the ones around here because i land in Vancouver on the morning of 13th and don't fancy being stuck in the middle of street fights or a military coup ;)

I know how much sepratists like a fight.

:lol: I think you'll be OK. Vancouver's a beautiful city!

Also, I was on the Internet, and I found this:

http://www.notaleader.ca

Yes, it's a Conservative slam, but Dion's an idiot and I thought it was funny.

^ Wow, the Tories are really desperate... that website is bordering on slander.

And look at Harper's Facebook picture. Okay, he's Father of the Century, I'm gonna have to vote for him now...

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/10/l9106562109_5243.jpg

Dion is really useless though the more I hear him these days. I hate that he's forcing me to vote un-Liberal.