2008 F1 Car Launches

^ from that top view it looks like spearmint candy or something

It reminds me of Minties...

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/31/MintiesPic.jpg

THIS IS THE MOMENT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64931

Renault launch the R28 in Paris

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, January 31st 2008, 13:36 GMT

The Renault F1 team officially on Thursday launched their new car for the 2008 season, the R28, in an event held in Paris.

The car, which made its track debut last week at Valencia in the hands of two-time champion Fernando Alonso, sports the same colours as last year, with ING still the French squad's title sponsor.

Renault, world champions in 2005 and 2006, endured a disappointing season in 2007, finishing down in third place in the standings with just one podium finish.

The team are now aiming to return to the sharp end of the field.

"We expect to see the team back in its normal place, fighting at the front of the field," said F1 Team president Bernand Rey. "This is the target the team has set for the new car. On the technical side, everybody has worked hard to overcome the problems encountered last year.

"On the driver front, Fernando Alonso's return was an important boost. There is optimism inside the team and within Renault."

Alonso is returning to Renault after a troubled season with McLaren. He will be partnered by Brazilian rookie Nelsinho Piquet.

Technical Director Bob Bell said the team have pushed very hard in order to rectify the problems that marred their 2007 season.

"2007 was a very poor year by our standards," he said. "For 2008, there are high expectations inside and outside the team, and it is down to us to give the drivers a competitive car. We have put the problems from 2007 behind us and in terms of the car design, we have looked at the problem afresh.

"The team pushed very hard in all areas, and particularly on the aerodynamics. The front end of the car has come in for special attention with a brand new front wing and the front suspension. The rear end has also been heavily reworked, and we haven't neglected the basics.

"The car ran reliably in its first test, and we made encouraging progress on performance development last week. We are confident that the advances we have seen in the wind tunnel will be reflected on track."

Werner, since you're the picture guy, can you please post something here when RU gets the photos? (I'll go and download them from there afterwards)

Renault unveiling:

91517.jpg

91518.jpg

91509.jpg

Alonso had grown his Renault haircut back...

I was hoping for some changes in the livery... but yeah it was quite likely that they'd keep this one.

I'm not really a fan of their drivers but I like the team and I hope they can be competitive.

P.S: Alonso needs a hair cut :D

Renault's new driving shoes:

shoesredyellow.jpg

Alonso's hair cut is modelled on a lampshade, Nelson Jnr looks scarily like a young Fisichella. The test drivers look miserable. Hopefully the car will be decent though.

Alonso looks really small and the baggy pants don't help much :| And dark lower body attachments on a dark surface really make for great pictures...

I think that cars gonna be back up the pointy end again with Alonso at the wheel. Don't mind the livery, I got used to it.

If the estimate is of a difference of one second (at the moment), with hard work, that could be halved by the time the F1 paddock assembles in Melbourne.

The livery is the same, but I don't mind because I quite like it. The car looks a bit more 'bulky' then all the others...makes it look heavy, but I'm sure it will probably be fast.

Last edited:
If the estimate is of a difference of one second (at the moment), with hard work, that could be halved by the time the F1 paddock assembles in Melbourne.

Judging by the last testing session times, it seems to be less than a second (but then again, who knows how hard everyone has been pushing). I definitely agree with HondaF1 though: they will more than likely see a return to form with Alonso back.

Red Bull's insane new engine cover:

91677.jpg

91680.jpg

91678.jpg

91681.jpg

Looks amzingly interesting...

You know the "Acme Anvil" the commentators on Speed are always joking about falling on Raikkonen's car? Well, there you go. It even has wheels! :lol:

Oddly, I like it.

Does the Red Bull car remind you of the Batmobile?

Yes it does now that you mention it. Something about it reminds me of the 1960's Batmobile. (This thing looks so cool in person :thumbsup:)

http://img511.imageshack.**/img511/1249/afcarshow025ag6.jpg

Plus there's probably a good chance of seeing flames coming out the back of the Red Bull as well. :lol:

Oddly, I like it.
It really is good looking. It has a great speed racer, 50's "I think this will enhance aero" appeal to it. That and viking horns take my vote for most awesome aero devices in the last few years.

Oddly, I like it.

Although I find it rather ugly, I'm glad that finally we can see something 'original' in F1. I mean teams are trying out some strange things (BMW as well). And it's good. I don't wanna see 22 identical cars.