2008 Formula 1 Season Thread

Well maybe it's a good thing that the bid failed then. I was never for customer cars to begin with, and I think that the right decision was made to scrap the idea, otherwise we'd have people like this guy who'd come in and undermine the efforts of the other teams who actually do take the effort to design and build their own cars.

Besides, his idea of running drivers who won in A1 is, well, crap to be honest. Looking through the current list of drivers, there is nobody who even comes close to deserving an F1 drive, which is mostly the reason why they're there to begin with. Maybe some guys have some potential and could use a season or two in GP2 first, but then there are others such as Yoong or Karthikeyen, both F1 rejects who struggled to perform at the level that F1 requires.

The aim of the project was to simply promote his A1 series, and F1 doesn't need that. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, and all the teams are striving to improve themselves and claim glory at the top. Some teams are already there, some other have a long way to go, but they're all pushing to improve themselves and get the results they desire. With that in mind, there's no place for Teixeira in F1. Stay home.

Patrick wants F1 test

Danica Patrick, who made history when she claimed her first IndyCar race win two weeks ago, has confessed to wanting a F1 test.

Patrick made her IndyCar debut in 2005, however, it wasn't until three years later, driving for Andretti Green Racing, that she claimed her first victory, winning the Indy Japan 300 and thereby becoming the first woman to win an IndyCar race.

The American is now hoping to test her skills in Formula One, admitting that she would relish a "proper" test with one of the teams.

"Every driver would love to drive a Formula One car at some point in their life, so yeah," she told Autosport. "I don't think there's anything wrong with a real, proper test.

"I was asked to do a demonstration lap at Indy in 2005, and I said, 'No way. You're making me a show. That's embarrassing.' But I would say that a real test is absolutely something I would do."

And one team who would welcome her testing with them is Honda. "We haven't instigated anything, but if Danica wanted to be test driver then we'd be more than happy to talk about it," Honda CEO Nick Fry said.

Source

She can join the queue. I dont think she's anything special and any test she was given would merely be a publicity stunt on behalf of the team. If her name was Danny Patrick and her reproductive organs were on the outside, noone would look twice.

Pretty much agree with everything said there. I'm all for more teams but not like this, too messy politically.

Red Bull
I dont think she's anything special and any test she was given would merely be a publicity stunt on behalf of the team. If her name was Danny Patrick and her reproductive organs were on the outside, noone would look twice.

So eloquently put.

^

couldn't agree more.

^ While I agree, there are several teams that need funding and a female driver might help get sponsors - and after all, that's all that really counts - right? No money, no racing.

Of course a US driver would help push the issue of getting a USGP again :)

Did Scott Speed help at all?

She can join the queue. I dont think she's anything special and any test she was given would merely be a publicity stunt on behalf of the team. If her name was Danny Patrick and her reproductive organs were on the outside, noone would look twice.

I agree and well said.

The best place for her to go is Renault. They need someone for Alonso to dominate, and the tampons and crockery sponsorship will help pay his ridiculous salary.

^^Lol, you're right :p

Super Aguri confirms deal with Weigl is close

The Super Aguri Formula 1 team confirmed on late Friday afternoon that they are in final discussions concerning an agreement for a substantial shareholding of the Formula One team with the Weigl Group AG.

According to the Formula 1 team the offer will secure the team's future in Formula 1. "We are happy that we have been able to resurrect talks between the Super Aguri team and Franz Weigl at such short notice and to have the opportunity of presenting the WEIGL Group to the Honda Board once again," said team boss Aguri Suzuki. "Such a partnership as the one proposed by WEIGL Group will allow us to race for the foreseeable future and I am hopeful that all parties will find the Group's offer a realistic package."

Franz-Josef Weigl, CEO, WEIGL Group AG, commented in the Super Aguri press release on the possible deal: "WEIGL Group has decided to speak out openly at this decisive time for SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM. We would like to express sincere support for the team's participation in the Formula One World Championship and the Group's, together with its sponsors and Partners, earnest intention to provide ongoing investment to secure the team's future."

Seem like there's still chance to rescue the team.

I really don't understand why anyone would buy Super Aguri. Who wants a loser team that doesn't even design its own car.

autosport.com reports that Super Aguri's trucks have been refused access to the paddock at Istanbul today.

Super Aguri denied access to Istanbul

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, May 4th 2008, 12:21 GMT

Super Aguri F1Super Aguri's trucks and motorhome have been refused access to the paddock at Istanbul ahead of next week's Turkish Grand Prix, autosport.com has learned, as the saga surrounding their future took a fresh twist on Sunday.

With the team hoping that a meeting with the Honda board this week will see a rescue package put forward by German automotive company the Weigl Group accepted, the outfit have been left baffled by events developing in Turkey.

Although the team's cars are currently in Britain pending the outcome of the talks with Honda, they had dispatched their spares trucks and motorhome to Turkey to prepare for the next race.

However, sources have revealed to autosport.com that neither the motorhome nor the trucks were allowed into the paddock where teams have begun setting up ahead of the next round of the world championship.

When asked for an explanation from officials about why they were not allowed access to the paddock, sources claim the reason was that Honda Racing CEO Nick Fry had informed Formula One management that Super Aguri would not be racing in Turkey.

The development comes just 24 hours after Fry made it clear that he did not believe the rescue package from Weigl was good enough to secure Super Aguri's future.

He said "It would appear unlikely that a company the size of Weigl is able to support a competitive Formula One team, unless of course there are other partners of which we have not been made aware."

Weigl himself hit back at those claims, revealing to autosport.com on Saturday that he did indeed have investment partners and a long-term plan for the team, and that he was confident of a positive outcome from the Honda board meeting.

Fry has made no secret of the fact that he does not want Super Aguri to continue being a drain on the resources of the Honda Racing F1 team. Speaking to autosport.com at the Spanish Grand Prix, Fry said he believed Honda had already supported Super Aguri far beyond what was originally intended.

"Our position is that Honda have given Super Aguri every available bit of support over and above what was anticipated," said Fry in Barcelona. "We tried to help as much as possible and Honda never intended to fund two F1 teams. We've gone way beyond what was ever originally anticipated. Now Aguri has got to find some money."

With no access to the paddock, Super Aguri's trucks and motorhome are parked outside the track waiting for further news from the team management. Team personnel have already begun travelling to the race.

Source

Bit of a dick move by Fry. He seems to have decided before even hearing the buyout proposition that he plain doesn't want SA in F1, even without their support.

D-Day looms for Super Aguri's saviour in waiting
05 May 2008

Tuesday is D-Day for Super Aguri's saviour in waiting, 50-year-old German industrialists Franz Josef Weigl. The Munich resident's investment plans for the team will be presented to Honda board members for approval on Tuesday.

"The Weigl group's offer is backed by strong business finance partners who along with the Weigl group would like to invest long term and not just short term," Weigl told Japan's Kyodo News agency in an interview. "With our partners, the offer is not only about rescuing the team, but about constructing a future for the Super Aguri F1 team and Takuma Sato. We hope that Honda board members would be willing to have faith in our long term business plan."

Weigl is a Munich-based German business man who turned 50 las month. He is the CEO of an automobile and motorcycle parts company he founded in the 1970s which now has sales in excess of $200m a year.

Weigl went on to explain why he has an interest in investing in F1, "Our clients are the main car manufacturers. Our technical solutions are trusted by most of the top teams. Our prime mission and goal - with the help of Honda - is to bring Super Aguri to a superior technological level. Our company masters the technical knowhow to bring this about. I also strongly believe that to remain sound the F1 sport needs private teams and not only manufacturer's works teams."

"I met Super Aguri two years ago," he went on. "I have always been impressed by the Super Aguri team. The team is a strong fighter and very competitive for the level of investment. For my company and my investors, with the help of Honda, Super Aguri must survive, live and become successful."

According to sources the main sticking point in the proposal to the Honda board is that Weigl hopes to pay back the team's debt to Honda over three years, while Magma, the previous investors that pulled out at the last moment offered to pay back the debt in one, immediate installment.

Source

I guess we'll find out tomorrow the fate of Super Aguri.

Bit of a dick move by Fry. He seems to have decided before even hearing the buyout proposition that he plain doesn't want SA in F1, even without their support.

Well, it is Nick Fry, the most incapable team manager in F1 since...erm...Eric Broadley?

Well, it is Nick Fry, the most incapable team manager in F1 since...erm...Eric Broadley?

According to F1 Racing Nick was most likely just carrying out orders from Honda directly.

I really don't understand why anyone would buy Super Aguri. Who wants a loser team that doesn't even design its own car.

There's billions to be made in F1, and grid spots are limited.
Anyhow, with Minardi now just a glint in the eye,
I reckon SA are the new backmarker buddies.

Last edited:
^ Whoooops...

Makes you realise how fine the tolerances are in F1 though - I mean the wrong paint leading to circumstances that cause the wheel to fail?