2008 Formula 1 Season Thread

^ Can't see Alonso moving to Ferrari while Kimi's there, cos, y'know, he's a big baby...

Alonso in a Ferrari.. NO HELL NO

I don't see it happening and it won't happen.

For sale? Can i dream about an American manufacturer-team in formula 1? :)

(Has this even ever happened? I mean a major one like a Chevrolet f1 team, or something ridiculous like that)

The South Korean Grand Prix is expecting to organize its first race in 2010.

Isn't there enough 'exotic' GPs?

Because surely, this isn't a world sport. Heaven forbid other nations take interest in this sport and want to host races. Especially those 'exotic' areas like Turkey and Valencia.

Alonso flirts with Ferrari

26 March 2008

Fernando Alonso has completed just two races this season for the Renault Formula 1 team and is already flirting openly with his rivals at Ferrari. If Renault can't go back to winning races the Spaniard said he wants to leave and join the best team, which is Ferrari he says.

"I always try to be in the best car," the double world champion said. "I'm at Renault now because I wanted to go back to winning, like in 2005 and 2006. But I have an option to leave so I can still be in the best possible car, and it is clear that Ferrari's is one of the best."

Felipe Massa has a contract until the end of the 2010 season, but after two poor performances in Australia and Malaysia the Brazilian is fully under pressure at Ferrari. "It's early to talk about moves and rumours, but Massa has had two bad races with mistakes and that has kicked off speculation," Alonso said. "It's logical, but as I said, it's too early."

Jesus f'ing Christ! Alonso, stay away from Ferrari you "whiney-whine-bag"! If I ever spot you anywhere near Ferrari I'll hunt you down and shoot you. :mad:

He may be a good driver but his ego and his selfish manor is not good for any team. And with Kimi there, I'd expect nothing but problems if he did come to Ferrari.

Massa just has to stop crashing into himself. The car's got great pace, and reliability was just an early misconception. It's Massa's skill that's letting him down; he could have easily cruised in at P2 in Malaysia...

Kimi might be able to win the driver's championship once more, but it's going to be mighty hard for Ferrari to get the constructions championship with only one driver.

Wow, what a douche bag. "Hey guys, thanks for trying for two races but your car sucks so I'm out of here". I'm sure that will inspire confidence in his engineers at Renault, and I hope it would sour the opportunity for any other teams. Have fun with engineers who know you don't respect their work Fernando.

Jordan blocks Force India access road

26 March 2008

Eddie Jordan has blocked off the main access road to the Force India F1 team's Silverstone base in a dispute over access to the site over a piece of land that he still owns. Jordan sold his team to Midland before Force India became the owner, but still kept some land around the factory site.

Concrete blocks have been put across the main access road while the Force India team was in Malaysia for last weekend's Grand Prix.

"I had to make a stand and they will have to come to talk to me," Jordan told Reuters. "I paid for the road and put it on my land."

Jordan added that he had waited two years for the team's owners to discuss buying the rest of the land from him.

Source

Jesus f'ing Christ! Alonso, stay away from Ferrari you "whiney-whine-bag"! If I ever spot you anywhere near Ferrari I'll hunt you down and shoot you.

I think there's a reason why Alonso only singed a 1 year contract with Renault..

It's obvious that Alonso is waiting for a drive in a top team in 2009. He talked to more teams last season, not only Renault, and apparently he was looking for a team that would hire him for one year. Renault offered him a two-year contract with the option to leave after 2008.

I think everyone at Renault knows that he'll leave if he can. They already knew it when the new car turned out to be crap.

The question is: which top team would sign him? Well, McLaren obviously wouldn't, that leaves Ferrari and BMW. BMW would be interesting, but I remember Theissen saying negative things about Alonso last year, he even stated he wouldn't hire a driver like him.

To be honest I could imagine Alonso at Ferrari. Actually I would love to see him as Kimi's team mate. A Kimi-Fernando pairing would have been impossible with Todt as the Ferrari boss, but I think Montezemolo would take the risk. He allegedly tried to get H?kkinen in 2000 or so, but Todt and Schumacher stopped him. But now Todt is gone (not entirely but he's not the big boss anymore) so Montezemolo could go the "McLaren way" and hire the two best drivers available.

Well, Lewis beat Alonso at Mclaren, i'd be surprised if Kimi wouldn't be able to do the same.

I really think that a Alonso-Kimi pairing would be a lot more trouble than Ferrari wants.

He might have trouble getting back into a winning team.. He is former world champion but after all of the Mclaren trouble.. If i was a top team hiring right now, i'd wait and see what happens with some of the newer talent. Kovi, Vettel, Piquet, all of those guys.

That's just me though :)

Matt - you ever hear of Ford? :wall:

I dont think there is a ford team on the field right now, and i've only been following F1 for like 7 months now.

Jesus f'ing Christ! Alonso, stay away from Ferrari you "whiney-whine-bag"! If I ever spot you anywhere near Ferrari I'll hunt you down and shoot you. :mad:

He may be a good driver but his ego and his selfish manor is not good for any team. And with Kimi there, I'd expect nothing but problems if he did come to Ferrari.

Who says he'll use that option? Massa stuffs it and everyone starts talking about "ooh, he's out of the team, they'll fire him before the season has ended".

The only "whiney-whine-bags" I see in this story are the journalists.

I dont think there is a ford team on the field right now, and i've only been following F1 for like 7 months now.

Ford had a factory team from 2000 to 2004, under the Jaguar brand. After 2004, Red Bull purchased the team. It's today's Red Bull Racing, formerly Jaguar, formerly Stewart Grand Prix.

I realise this is a horrible thing to say, and I don't really wish it.

But I hope Bernie dies soon, because thats the only way he will leave Formula 1. Its just not on what he is trying to do. He thinks its for the best but it is destroying the sport.

^^^ Otherwise someone richer than him will HAVE to buy him out and send him to live the rest of his life in a luxurious place which is COMPLETELY cut off from F1 and the rest of the world.

I don't think that will happen. He seems pretty fit for his age, and has the money to fix whatever health problems that come around. So I imagine he'll keep going on destroying the sport. Funny how he's pushing really hard to make races better for his stagnant growth sector, and making it more complicated for the growing sector. Kinda funny.

JH

yeah he has money coming out of every orifice.... isnt pretty much every "body" thats linked or invloved with F1, under bernies wing?

im pretty sure he has companies set up to deal with absolutely everything F1. want TV coverage, go seens bernies F! tv company. what hospitality? bernie. want to host a race? bernie. want to sponsor an event? bernie. want to wipe your ass in the paddock toilets? bernie. want to breathe some garage air? bernie.

i think literally everything any company would want to do to get invloved with F1 must go through a bernie company and pay them some money.

im suprised he doesnt own the FIA

Wow, what a douche bag. "Hey guys, thanks for trying for two races but your car sucks so I'm out of here". I'm sure that will inspire confidence in his engineers at Renault, and I hope it would sour the opportunity for any other teams. Have fun with engineers who know you don't respect their work Fernando.

i reckon engineers (in the UK) are used to being under appreciated....so i bet they wont take it too baddly.

i mean the term engineer doesnt really produce the same mental image in this country as it might in germany.

because any old joe schmoe can slap engineer down the side of his transit van, most people here think of engineers as

the man who comes to fix the boiler
the man who comes to fix the washer
the man who comes to service your car
the man who comes to install your sky dish
the man who comes to fit your telephone line

you know, those kinds of jobs. theyre not bums jobs, because you have to get some vocational qualifications to be able to do them. but lets be honest.... a man who comes to replace some broken bits in your boiler probably couldnt sit down and design one from scratch using thermo laws n such like or use CFD to model flames n fluid flows. theyre not really jobs that i feel deserve the title of engineer.

for me, it definately cheapens my chosen profession i feel. this time next year ill be close to graduation from my 5 year mech eng degree (with a 1st hopefully)

and the minute i tell anyone im an engineer i get the response

" so you fix cars n stuff right? " and " why did you go to uni to do that, you could of went down the road to the TTE to do that, saved your money"

i dont even have the energy to explain the difference anymore. i wish they'd not allow any old tom, dick n harry to call themselves engineers on a whim because they know how to use some power tools, especially when it took me 5 years to become a proper one.

i know engineering in its basic form is problem solving, and by that measurement, everyones an engineer.... but in the grand scheme of things its a hell of a lot more than that.

i know some one who thinks the engineers in F1 are just grease monkeys that only know how to wield some spanners and screw wheels on..

Last edited:
^ That's so funny - he only wants to drive for a top team ... as the number one driver.

Maybe he should ask Kimi to step aside for him :boohoo:

To bad you missed the USGPs - they were fun. Ford has been in and out of F1 before - I don't see any US car manufacturers getting back in to F1 for a long time (and by that time there might not be any left!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Racing

-=> now what would be funny is if Force India switched to Tata ie. Jaguar! <=-

Last edited:
Well, Lewis beat Alonso at Mclaren, i'd be surprised if Kimi wouldn't be able to do the same.

I really think that a Alonso-Kimi pairing would be a lot more trouble than Ferrari wants.

He might have trouble getting back into a winning team.. He is former world champion but after all of the Mclaren trouble.. If i was a top team hiring right now, i'd wait and see what happens with some of the newer talent. Kovi, Vettel, Piquet, all of those guys.

That's just me though :)

Totally agree - Alonso has talent (obviously), but Briatore aside I can't see another top team going for him

I'd say Ferrari will go for Vettel. Right now he's not good enough to challenge Kimi, but he's got amazing talent for later on.