2008 Formula 1 Season Thread

All of them, I suppose, because they are going to test slicks.

I doubt they'll be doing that all the time. I know that McLaren and Honda are getting aero updates, so they would want to test them on the normal tyres...

^ of course not all the time, but this is among the tasks to be completed.

There will be aero update for BMW as well!

Suprise surprise:

Sato: Super Aguri to miss impending Barcelona test

With a three-week break before the Spanish Grand Prix, the teams have time to test and tinker with their cars. Takuma Sato, however, has revealed that Super Aguri will miss next week?s multi-team test at Barcelona?s Circuit de Catalunya, as the Japanese team?s buy-out is yet to be completed.

In the build-up to the 2008 season, Super Aguri endured a winter of financial uncertainty, only making the Melbourne grid in March following a last-minute agreement with the Magma Group. The acquisition has not been finalised between the two parties and, until it is, development work will be restricted.

?The final agreement is not yet finished with the Magma Group, but hopefully it will happen very soon, and then we can press the button to start development,? explained Sato on his official site. ?So the next time I will drive will be in Friday practice for the Spanish Grand Prix.?

Despite their recent difficulties, Super Aguri enjoyed a relatively strong race at the Bahrain International Circuit last weekend. Sato and team mate Anthony Davidson eventually ended the Sakhir event in 17th and 16th respectively, ahead of Red Bull?s David Coulthard and Force India?s Adrian Sutil.

?I tried to hold people off as much as I could, but the speed difference was so big there was no point defending too aggressively because that would lose me even more time in the race,? added the Japanese driver. ?But the most important thing was to finish the race - that was our objective and we succeeded, so it was a good weekend.?

While they will be absent from next week?s test at Barcelona?s Circuit de Catalunya, Super Aguri will be in action at the track a week later for the Spanish Grand Prix, which will take place from 25-27 April.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/4/7622.html

It's been 40 years and two days since Jim Clark, arguably one of the best all-around drivers in motorsport, F1 World Champion, winner of the Indy 500 and dedicated racer, was killed in a Formula Two race at the old Hockenheim.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_feature_item.php?fes_art_id=34441

Pitpass has a very interesting article on what happened at that time and what might have caused the crash that ended Jim's life, when the car crashed in a tree that wasn't supposed to be there.

R.I.P. Jim Clark. Our thoughts go to you and to all the heroes that gave their life for racing all around the world. :(

Great article...RIP Clark

Thanks for the article, vikirad.

RIP Jim Clark, surely one of the very best...

Schumacher to test slicks at Ferrari next week
10 April 2008

Michael Schumacher will return in Ferrari's F2008 cockpit next week at Circuit de Catalunya. The German was invited by the Italian team to test the team's car with Bridgestone's slicks for a day at the Spanish track.

A Ferrari F1 spokesperson told GPUpdate.net: "Michael Schumacher will be testing with our team on Wednesday. He will mainly focus on the development of slick tyres - the tyres that will be used in 2009. Felipe Massa will be testing on Monday and Tuesday while Kimi Raikkonen will be in the car on Thursday."

For Schumacher it will be the second time this year he will be testing with the Ferrari Formula One team.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/04/10/schumacher-to-test-slicks-at-ferrari-next-week/

^ It's funny for me, it looks like Ferrari's bosses don't trust Massa and Raikkonen :p

I think it's great that Schumi is still staying connected to F1 unlike most athletes who go into hiding once they retire. He could easily stay confined to his mansion or yacht, but he doesn't. It shows he really cares about F1 and I think that's brilliant.

I think it's great that Schumi is still staying connected to F1 unlike most athletes who go into hiding once they retire. He could easily stay confined to his mansion or yacht, but he doesn't. It shows he really cares about F1 and I think that's brilliant.

He's still on the payroll dont forget ;)

Well yeah, he's still commited to the team as an official test (if not maybe even reserve) driver. So who knows... we might see MS back in a race if Kimi goes to the hospital in an alcoholic coma after a mad party...

Not really..

Mika H?kkinen did DTM, Martin is doing F1 commentating, Schumacher is testing F1 cars, Nigel Mansell is busy with GP Master, Ralf Schumacher is in DTM, Jean Alesi is in DTM and many other drivers that I cant remember right now.

Lots of ex-F1 drivers are still keeping themselves busy, just beacuse you dont see them on TV, doesnt mean they are hiding.

Mika H?kkinen did DTM, Martin is doing F1 commentating, Schumacher is testing F1 cars, Nigel Mansell is busy with GP Master, Ralf Schumacher is in DTM, Jean Alesi is in DTM and many other drivers that I cant remember right now.

Alesi is no longer in DTM; he's been racing in the Speedcar series (support series for F1 alongside GP2 Asia), and GP Masters is officially dead.

Alesi is no longer in DTM; he's been racing in the Speedcar series (support series for F1 alongside GP2 Asia), and GP Masters is officially dead.

What happened to GP Masters?

hamster

hamster

I see where the rumour mill has it, and I think I first read it at Final Gear, that Richard Hammond would be in the commentary box for F1 as of 2009 but, according to his latest ramblings at The Mirror, he knows nothing about it. Anyone know anything?

Thank goodness its not going to happen..

So who is gonna be BBC's main F1 commentator?

I'd say take Brundle, give him a mega-brainwash to wipe out two words from his mind, and then slot him back in the commentary box.

And the two words that must be wiped out are "Lewis Hamilton".

For the lead commentator, I'm not sure. Murray is too old now, James Allen is a complete no-no... Any ideas?