2008 Formula 1 Season Thread

vikiradTG2007

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Working on it
I know it's a bit early days, but we should have this ready in preparation for the start of the 2008 F1 season. We can switch to the discussions here once winter testing is over, which is going to happen in about... 2 days.

As a prequel to the season, express your hopes and favorites for this season.

I'll be hoping, of course, for good results from Renault, but the battle at the front is still going to be a McLaren-Ferrari see-saw job.

As an american who just got into formula one for the last few races of the '07 season, its been too long since i've seen a race. Come back F1 Come back!!!

Just as a little reminder, here's the full calendar:

01 2008 FORMULA 1 ING AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX (Melbourne) 14 - 16 Mar
02 2008 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX (Kuala Lumpur) 21 - 23 Mar
03 2008 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX (Bahrain) 04 - 06 Apr
04 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA TELEFONICA 2008 (Catalunya) 25 - 27 Apr
05 2008 FORMULA 1 PETROL OFISI TURKISH GRAND PRIX (Istanbul) 09 - 11 May
06 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2008 (Monte Carlo) 22 - 25 May
07 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2008 (Montreal) 06 - 08 Jun
08 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2008 (Magny-Cours) 20 - 22 Jun
09 2008 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX (Silverstone) 04 - 06 Jul
10 FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS SANTANDER VON DEUTSCHLAND 2008 (Hockenheim) 18 - 20 Jul
11 FORMULA 1 ING MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2008 (Budapest) 01 - 03 Aug
12 2008 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE (Valencia) 22 - 24 Aug
13 2008 FORMULA 1 ING BELGIAN GRAND PRIX (Spa-Francorchamps) 05 - 07 Sep
14 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO SANTANDER D'ITALIA 2008 (Monza) 12 - 14 Sep
15 2008 FORMULA 1 SINGTEL SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX (Singapore) 26 - 28 Sep
16 2008 FORMULA 1 FUJI TELEVISION JAPANESE GRAND PRIX (Fuji Speedway) 10 - 12 Oct
17 2008 FORMULA 1 SINOPEC CHINESE GRAND PRIX (Shanghai) 17 - 19 Oct
18 FORMULA 1 GRANDE PREMIO DO BRASIL 2008 (Sao Paulo) 31 Oct - 02 Nov

Is anyone going to attend any of the races?

I thought there will be separate thread for every single race. :?

vikirad Are you going to Hungaroring again?

I will be at the Melbourne GP.

I can't wait till it starts. And i'm quite confident that Kimi is going to show he's the best once again this year :p

There will be, this thread is for the F1 news bits through-out the season (similar to what the random thoughts thread is to the off topic section). If you think a story is sufficiently big enough to warrant its own thread then do it - use your judgement :).

Obviously I'll be supporting McLaren again and hopefully Heikki can really develop and mature into a really good racer. Would love to see Williams do well and I hope Piquet for Renault can put it over Alonso on a consistent basis.

It's a thread for all the stuff that happens during the season and is unrelated to the races. Each race will have its own discussion thread, just like last year.

And no, I won't be going to the Hungaroring this year. Probably when I'm in college, I'll be able to gather up enough money to go to the French or German GP (if I've got the time).

01 2008 FORMULA 1 ING AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX (Melbourne) 14 - 16 Mar
02 2008 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX (Kuala Lumpur) 21 - 23 Mar
03 2008 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX (Bahrain) 04 - 06 Apr
04 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA TELEFONICA 2008 (Catalunya) 25 - 27 Apr
05 2008 FORMULA 1 PETROL OFISI TURKISH GRAND PRIX (Istanbul) 09 - 11 May
06 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2008 (Monte Carlo) 22 - 25 May
07 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2008 (Montreal) 06 - 08 Jun
08 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE 2008 (Magny-Cours) 20 - 22 Jun
09 2008 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX (Silverstone) 04 - 06 Jul
10 FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS SANTANDER VON DEUTSCHLAND 2008 (Hockenheim) 18 - 20 Jul
11 FORMULA 1 ING MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2008 (Budapest) 01 - 03 Aug
12 2008 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE (Valencia) 22 - 24 Aug
13 2008 FORMULA 1 ING BELGIAN GRAND PRIX (Spa-Francorchamps) 05 - 07 Sep
14 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO SANTANDER D'ITALIA 2008 (Monza) 12 - 14 Sep
15 2008 FORMULA 1 SINGTEL SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX (Singapore) 26 - 28 Sep
16 2008 FORMULA 1 FUJI TELEVISION JAPANESE GRAND PRIX (Fuji Speedway) 10 - 12 Oct
17 2008 FORMULA 1 SINOPEC CHINESE GRAND PRIX (Shanghai) 17 - 19 Oct
18 FORMULA 1 GRANDE PREMIO DO BRASIL 2008 (Sao Paulo) 31 Oct - 02 Nov

I'll do the race threads again like I did last year. I will post them 10 days before Friday practice :)

As an american who just got into formula one for the last few races of the '07 season, its been too long since i've seen a race. Come back F1 Come back!!!
Don't feel too bad. 2007 was my first full season. And I'm equally mad that the USGP went bye-bye. Now I'm really glad I at least made it to the qualifying session in 2006.

As far as this season I'm really hoping more than just two teams are cometetive at the top. I'd love to see Renault back on form. I'm also hoping for more rain than last season, especially with the lack of driver aids this season. The Singapore night race will be my highlight. I can't wait for that one! :cool:

Someone is forgetting Monaco I see....:p

What it was last year was 10 days before Friday Practice, UNLESS its a back to back when its out on Tuesday.

I'll try and make the questions better this year too :)

I also just got back into F1, I use to watch it loads but then the Schumacher years were just...dull and I couldn't get back into it

I did in 2007 by accident, it was on I thought "Might as well watch it", Glad I did because F1 is a lot better now, still doesn't beat 24hr races.

I'm afraid my backround is in drag racing. *points at camaro* Hey, it could be worse, its not as bad as nascar or anything....right? :(....RIGHT?!?!?!

A night race at singapore, oh my god i had no idea, that sounds awesome! Since i'm a new boy to the sport i'm jumping on the mclaren bandwagen, this young kid just seems like a cool guy. But for some reason i have a soft spot for the BMW team. Although they never seem to do well.

Never seem to do well?!? They are doing extremely well after their merge with Sauber. They have continually done better. They say they are just having teething problems due to the direction that AlbertII is taking them, but I have a feeling they will fighting for the top of midfield with Williams and Renault.

The midfield battle looks like its gonna be great.
Raikkonen-Hamilton-Massa-Kovi-Rosberg-Alonso-Kubica-Heidfeld-Webber-Vettel

I guess we will see.. 2.5 weeks to go.

2 weeks... It seems to me that this winter break was shorter than the previous ones since I've been watching F1. Well, there were surely quite a lot of things going on during the winter to keep us interested!

I'd like Williams to do better than they did last year. Maybe a couple of podiums if things turn out to be lucky...
I'd like to see a battle at the front, not one person running away with it.
I'd like less controversies - I'd like this season to be worth remembering because of the racing not the scandals.
I'd like to see wet races again, at least 3 or 4.
I'd like BMW to snatch a win.
I'd like Honda to do better.
I'd like to read more sensible and less biased stuff in the press, be it British, Spanish or Hungarian.
I'd like to have a bloody good time at the Hungaroring in August - I will be there again! :)