2008 Formula 1 Season Thread

Its all a big story made up by the press. Ron wont be leaving McLaren for a while. Although, I was shocked to hear Lisa left him at the end of 2007.

Edit: On a side note, I will be posting the 2008 Melbourne thread the next two days!! Hold on for that one :D

Last edited:
Super Aguri Team has confirmed that they will be at the start in Melbourne. :thumbsup:

But will they make the 107% rule......although now I mention it, I'm not sure that rule exists anymore.

gghhhhhhhhhreahhh! 2 more weeks, i cant wait that long!

My first full season watching F1 (although i did catch more than half of the last one)

Any suggestions to enjoy it more from more experianced F1 watchers? :D

gghhhhhhhhhreahhh! 2 more weeks, i cant wait that long!

My first full season watching F1 (although i did catch more than half of the last one)

Any suggestions to enjoy it more from more experianced F1 watchers? :D

Join in with us as we discuss everything about F1 during the season in our dedicated threads. We have some great arguements and discussions in there. Plus, its in real time, so we are very up to date here.

Other than that, go to formula1.com and register for live timing and keep an eye on F1 Racing magazine during the year :)

F1 Racing mag has gone downhill, really. The Pitpass section can't really compete with the internet anymore and the feature articles are pretty uninspiring and have been for a couple of years now. I skip over the race reports largely because I've watched the race on TV (usually a couple of months before the relevent edition of the magazine comes out) and the internet again makes such a section redundant.

Peter Windsor's writing annoys me with the amount of literary wankery, and the other reporters arent really as interesting as some of their previous editors. Plus since 2007 it really just became the Lewis Hamilton McLaren fan magazine (probably due to the fact that the editor at the time Matt Bishop accepted the role of PR officer at McLaren...)

F1 Racing mag has gone downhill, really. The Pitpass section can't really compete with the internet anymore and the feature articles are pretty uninspiring and have been for a couple of years now. I skip over the race reports largely because I've watched the race on TV (usually a couple of months before the relevent edition of the magazine comes out) and the internet again makes such a section redundant.

Peter Windsor's writing annoys me with the amount of literary wankery, and the other reporters arent really as interesting as some of their previous editors. Plus since 2007 it really just became the Lewis Hamilton McLaren fan magazine (probably due to the fact that the editor at the time Matt Bishop accepted the role of PR officer at McLaren...)

+1

I totally agree with you.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65439

Dennis ready to step aside

By Jonathan Noble Monday, March 3rd 2008, 10:50 GMT

Ron Dennis is likely to hand over the role of McLaren team principal to F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh before the end of this month, autosport.com has learned, but has not yet decided exactly when he will do so.

There has been mounting speculation about Dennis' future in recent weeks, with the 60-year-old believed to be increasingly keen to focus more on family matters and other aspects of the McLaren Group business than just the F1 team.

Dennis is also understood to believe that his departure as team principal will help relieve tension remaining at the team in the wake of last year's spy scandal, which left the team stripped of their constructors' championship points and fined $100 million (USD).

Sources have made it clear, however, that although Dennis is planning to change his role within McLaren, he has not yet settled on exactly when that will be.

It could be within a matter of days, or may not happen until after the season, which kicks off in Melbourne on March 16, has begun. However, a decision on the exact handover is expected to take place later this month.

Last week, Whitmarsh made it clear that Dennis still had the full support of McLaren's shareholders - and that any decision about his future was for him to take alone.

"Ron is fully supported by all our shareholders, all our management, and all who work for our team and our company," Whitmarsh told autosport.com.

"He currently has three roles: Chairman, McLaren Group; Chief Executive Officer, McLaren Group; Team Principal, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

"It therefore follows that it is for Ron to decide when and if he should step down, step away, step back, or whatever."

Don't believe a word of it.

Hamilton feels less pressure
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/03/04/hamilton-feels-less-pressure/

With the Formula One championship starting in less than two weeks from now Lewis Hamilton has said he is feeling less pressure to prove himself than when he started his Formula 1 career twelve months ago.

"Perhaps there is more pressure but I feel there is less," Hamilton told the British media this week. "Last year I had so much to prove. There was the press asking 'can he do it or not?' I'm sure even people in the team were wondering.

"I was quick in testing but racing is a different thing. People wait for you to fail. I think this year is slightly easier. People know how well I can drive. I'm not going into an unknown world.

"I don't have any doubts that I will do a job this year but that means something different now. It means I want to win the world championship."

Speaking about the competition with Ferrari Hamilton furthermore said: ""Ferrari were ahead by maybe three or four 10ths of a second, but now we are in equal cars. It was strange they weren't at some of the tests in Barcelona - it's an accurate measure."

Briatore: Formula One is too predictable!

Italian Renault team boss Flavio Briatore came up with a radical idea to shake-up Formula 1 and to get things interesting again. Briatore believes Formula 1 races are taking too long and are predictable.

"The races are too long and predictable," he told Italian radio station 'Rai'. "Things would be much more interesting when the fastest driver would start from the back at the grid. They would be able to overtake and the spectacle would benefit."
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/

Yeah, lets have the scrubby drivers who always crash at turn 1 be the leaders of the pack. Genius Flab's, shear freaking genius.

A planet-f1 Article

Dennis is one of the most influential men in the history of the sport, but the prolonged Stepneygate affair coupled with the relentless nature of the calendar will see the 61-year-old call it quits, even though the British constructor denied that Dennis was to leave his post.

An Autosport article

There has been mounting speculation about Dennis' future in recent weeks, with the 60-year-old believed to be increasingly keen to focus more on family matters and other aspects of the McLaren Group business than just the F1 team.

The real mystery is, how old is Ron Dennis. These F1 reporters can't even agree on that.

As I said, don't believe a word of it.

Sakon Yamamoto has been hired by Renault. Unfortunately he is unimpressed as he finally found out why Renault employed him...

46300_2.jpg

The 2008 Medical Car:

AMG-F1-2.jpg

2008 Safety Car:

AMG-F1-8.jpg