2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

I agree, I can see Alonso to Toyota before Ferrari, but damn, I want Button to go to McLaren.

Im still sticking with a straight swap of Alonso to RBR and Webber to McLaren.

Alonso to Ferrari and Massa to McLaren...:thumbsup:

Massa to the scrap heap is fine too.

Why are you guys dissing Massa? He is a good driver

Probably because we arent Ferrari fans and dont like him.

Probably because we arent Ferrari fans and dont like him.

OK I understand the Ferrari part, but why don't you like Massa? He hasn't really been annoying and is a decent driver...

OK I understand the Ferrari part, but why don't you like Massa? He hasn't really been annoying and is a decent driver...

I have to back you up on this man..
I understand if someone is not a Ferrari fan, but Massa is a very decent driver, he is classy, never found him trying to be a A Hole or to have "the world revolving around me" attitude.

In the other hand I really appreciate a good driver even if I'm not a fan of his team, for example I respect J Button as a driver and I found him really talented and a good guy, I also Find Nicko Rosberg a huge talent and a very very good driver.. same thing with Heidfeld...

I'll back you up as well. I don't mind Massa and on his day (which, admittedly are few and far between) he is absolutely terrific and Schumacher-esque in his dominance. Otherwise he can be a bit ragged at times.

Massa to Mclaren? I'd hope not, but there are few options left. Personally I've always believed that Alonso will stay at McLaren (yes, I know I'm the only one on Earth who thinks so) but I don't see why he'd take a step back to Renault, and why would he even consider having Kimi as a partner at Ferrari? He says his relationship with Hamilton (pre-Belgium anyway) is ok, its only with Ron Dennis that he has issues with. He'll stay at McLaren because there is nowhere else to go. McLaren will keep him because there's no other top drawer drivers available.

I think Heidfeld is an average driver who simply looks good because of his car. If a Raikkonen or an Alonso were driving that BMW, it'd be winning. McLaren had two chances to take his services and went for the other option each time. They obviously have no faith in him.

I actually quite like Massa. But in my opinion he is a great number 2 driver.....maybe he will become a championship level driver in the future but he isn't there yet. Too many holes in his driving.

Hmmm.. thats interesting.. thought to share it with you guys..

Hamilton hopes Alonso leaves McLaren

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, September 30th 2007, 00:38 GMT

McLaren teammates Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso after qualifying for the Japanese GPLewis Hamilton has admitted he does not want Fernando Alonso as his teammate next year, telling his McLaren team that he now has no doubts he wants to see out his career with them.

Hamilton's relationship with Alonso has come under strain following the Spaniard's lack of support for McLaren over the spy controversy and their first corner clash at the Belgian Grand Prix.

And amid increasing talk that Alonso will look for a way out of his McLaren deal at the end of the year, Hamilton has said he is now more convinced than ever that he wants to lead the team.

Speaking to the British Sunday newspapers, Hamilton said he does not think he and Alonso can remain teammates in 2008.

"No I don't," he said. "I mean, if the team want to keep him they keep him, but I'm here to stay as long as they want me. Any dreams that I have had about what I would like to be doing 10 years in the future have slightly changed..."

When asked to clarify that remark, Hamilton said: "About where you would want to be.

"This season has helped reconfirm in my mind where I want to be, where I want to live out my career, and that is here. I'm really happy and comfortable here. So long as they want me, there's no reason to move anywhere else. It's up to the team.

"They've got to be smart and think about it: I know they've got politics and sponsors and all that sort of stuff, but they've got to do what's right and I'm sure they will.

"I don't know who else would slip in here, but I'd much rather it were Fernando in a Ferrari and me in a McLaren."

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has made it clear that no consideration about the team's future driver plans will be made until after the current season has finished.

"We have contracts with both of our drivers that are for the next several years," he said. "We are focused on the next three races and contractual relationships will only be discussed after the last race.

"There is at this stage, nobody engaged in any dialogue whatsoever. It's all speculation. There are people who want to destabilise the team or defocus the drivers. We're not wasting our energy on these things."

Source
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62857

^ This could backfire so badly on Hamilton. What if they get rid of Alonso and replace him with say a Sutil or a Liuzzi and he gets shown up.

Remember, he has been lucky this season. Not many people get their first season in the best car and a great shot at the championship. I think he's getting big headed and hopefully he doesnt end up doing a Button.

I think Heidfeld is an average driver who simply looks good because of his car. If a Raikkonen or an Alonso were driving that BMW, it'd be winning. McLaren had two chances to take his services and went for the other option each time. They obviously have no faith in him.

If Heidfeld is an average driver, then what's that make Kubica? Considering Heidfeld is destroying Kubica this year, then that would make Kubica below average huh? I would rate Heidfeld over Massa. When Heidfeld and Raikkonen were at Sauber, they were very competitive, and Mclaren was expected to pick Nick over Kimi. For you to say that Kimi or Alonso would be winning in that BMW is just BS, you're really reaching with that one. There is a reason why Nick has been signed for next year, his performance this year has been exceptional.

If Heidfeld is an average driver, then what's that make Kubica? Considering Heidfeld is destroying Kubica this year, then that would make Kubica below average huh? I would rate Heidfeld over Massa. When Heidfeld and Raikkonen were at Sauber, they were very competitive, and Mclaren was expected to pick Nick over Kimi. For you to say that Kimi or Alonso would be winning in that BMW is just BS, you're really reaching with that one. There is a reason why Nick has been signed for next year, his performance this year has been exceptional.

'Average' was a little harsh I suppose. I don't think there's too many talented drivers out there at the moment, but Heidfeld was pretty poor against Alesi in 2000, then got shown up by Raikkonen on several occasions (a man who had just 17 car races to his name when he made his debut) so that McLaren chose him instead of the Mercedes backed Heidfeld. Heidfeld was sacked from Sauber and reluctantly taken on by Jordan. Then signed to Williams when they realised there were no other options available. BMW kept him on because they needed a German.

He's a driver whom a team can sign because they know he'll be dependable and drive solidly - but never going that extra step further that separates him from the likes of a Raikkonen, or an Alonso, or even a Schumacher (M). He showed that last year, doing just the bare minimum to keep Villeneuve at bay. He raised his game to match Kubica but it suggests that he is only interested in simply beating his teammate and not anyone else. Kimi and Alonso are fiercely competitive and exceptionally talented who always push for that extra advantage, which is why those guys are driving for Ferrari and McLaren and have a tick in the winners box for each of them.

^^^Agreed. Hiedfeld seems to be able to raise his game....but doesn't seem to want to.

Remember, he has been lucky this season.

I can't believe you're still saying that...you must have changed your opinion slightly after today...

I can't believe you're still saying that...you must have changed your opinion slightly after today...

I admit he drove well, but my opinion of him doesnt change. I am allowed to dislike a driver, and in a public forum like this give my views.

'Average' was a little harsh I suppose. I don't think there's too many talented drivers out there at the moment, but Heidfeld was pretty poor against Alesi in 2000, then got shown up by Raikkonen on several occasions (a man who had just 17 car races to his name when he made his debut) so that McLaren chose him instead of the Mercedes backed Heidfeld. Heidfeld was sacked from Sauber and reluctantly taken on by Jordan. Then signed to Williams when they realised there were no other options available. BMW kept him on because they needed a German.

He's a driver whom a team can sign because they know he'll be dependable and drive solidly - but never going that extra step further that separates him from the likes of a Raikkonen, or an Alonso, or even a Schumacher (M). He showed that last year, doing just the bare minimum to keep Villeneuve at bay. He raised his game to match Kubica but it suggests that he is only interested in simply beating his teammate and not anyone else. Kimi and Alonso are fiercely competitive and exceptionally talented who always push for that extra advantage, which is why those guys are driving for Ferrari and McLaren and have a tick in the winners box for each of them.

You know, most of your post was good, but this just stuck out. What makes you qualified to say this? Anyone who is in F1 is talented, except for those ride buyers at the crap teams, like Yammamoto and Ide etc. Those who are actually involved in F1 have hailed this season as being the most competitive and the most talent rich in years. Aside from the established stars like Alonso and Kimi, you have talented rookies ans sophomores like: Hamilton, Rosberg, Kubica, Sutil, Vettel, and strong veterans like Heidfeld and Webber putting in great performances.

Oh, they're all talented! Don't get me wrong. They'll kick our asses in two laps of any circuit if we tried. :p

You're right with your points and I agree with them. 'Strong veterans' is probably close to what I want to say. Great drivers yes (Webber, Trulli, Heidfeld, Fisichella, Wurz...), but they wouldn't challenge an Alonso or a Raikkonen given the same car. They're drivers who have been around for years, comfortable with their surroundings and perhaps no longer giving 100% in the same way a young, talented rookie looking to make an impression would. Thats what I meant to say when I say there arent too many talented drivers.