2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

It's Autosport, so wait for itv or F1.com to confirm Id say. Have Singapore done any light testing yet anyway?

^ As far as I know I don't think they did...

I will make more research and if I found anything I will keep you guys posted.

At Formula1.com they have the same calender but they haven't confirmed the Night Race yet..
they only say regarding Singapore " ** Subject to circuit approval "

Hmmm...

I just found this:

The F1 Singapore Grand Prix will be first street race in Asia and is one of three races in the 2008 F1 calendar to run anticlockwise. Subject to final safety clearances, the race will be the first held at night in F1 history.

Source

Ferrari should have been penalized for running an illegal car in the first race
Mclaren had to change their underbody structure also. Plus many other teams too.

I'm not sure is Toyota still daydreaming that their car is not the problem or are they just so desperate.

Engine development frozen for ten years

The FIA has announced that the current restrictions on engine development will be tightened to a blanket freeze on all changes for ten years from 2008.

The decision was taken at a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris today.

"There will be a total freeze on engine development for a period of 10 years, starting from 2008," said an FIA statement.

"A change can be made after five years but only with the unanimous agreement of all stakeholders and following a further two-year notice period.

"Total freeze means that there will be no exceptions for development of certain parts of the engine, as is the case under the current regulations."

The extension to the engine freeze comes just days after the manufacturers involved in Formula One submitted a proposed engine rules package for 2010 to 2013 that was intended to help reduce costs and promote more environmentally-friendly technology.

The original engine development freeze was introduced for the start of the 2007 season and was expected to remain in place only until a more radical overhaul of the engine regulations was carried out.

Source

Uhhh...that took me by surprise :? Was I just out of the loop or is this an actual *thing*.

What a stupid idea. If someone develops a shit engine for next year then they are screwed for a whole decade.

Someone shoot Max Mosley.......seriously. That is the most fucking stupid idea I have ever heard.

Am I the only one really unexcited about night racing? I fail to see how not being able to see the cars properly will enhance the spectacle. Sure it will make for some spectacular photos but beyond that I don't see the point.

F1 could be so good if they just put me in charge :p

I want her in F1 now!! (ignore the Holly-Marie Combes picture on the right).

danica-patrick-vs-holly-marie-combs.jpg

HOTNESS!!
nico-rosberg.jpg

Closest thing to a woman in F1...what a pretty boy :lol:

Someone shoot Max Mosley.......seriously. That is the most fucking stupid idea I have ever heard.

Am I the only one really unexcited about night racing? I fail to see how not being able to see the cars properly will enhance the spectacle. Sure it will make for some spectacular photos but beyond that I don't see the point.

Seriously, this engine freeze is a great idea.

The working group were touting the idea of 1.4 litre Turbo engines, which I dont like the sound of. Having engine development frozen is good for the sport.

I am for this!!

But having the premier motorsport category frozen on 750hp 2.4 litre V8's until 2017!!! Imagine how the world will change in a decade. I mean I am for it in a sense, the current motors sounds great, go incredibly well and are reliable. I just think it is a bad idea to commit for such a lengthy period of time.

But having the premier motorsport category frozen on 750hp 2.4 litre V8's until 2017!!! Imagine how the world will change in a decade. I mean I am for it in a sense, the current motors sounds great, go incredibly well and are reliable. I just think it is a bad idea to commit for such a lengthy period of time.

But there is a get out clause. In 3 years they can change capacity with 2 years to develop and lock that in. Which is why I am for it.

Bloody hell... It's been known that the FIA has gone mad but this is beyond that. They clearly want to turn the pinnacle of motor sport into a bloody spec series.

FIA said:
A change can be made after five years but only with the unanimous agreement of all stakeholders and following a further two-year notice period.

So why are you all against this idea then?

Promote more environmentally friendly engines? Yeah because halting progress and development is going to do that... :?

I think I'm going to get fitter by continuing to sit around the house eating pizza. Go Mad Max Mosley logic.

No way, I think it's a terrific idea 8)

The engine freeze however...<_<

For one, the quote you posted (which won't move on to this post) sounds silly: 'Yea, we freeze the engines for 10 years but might make changes to them in 5 and give 2 years for development...'

Small details aside, the whole concept of engine(or any technology) freeze is against the principle of F1 which is for it to be the pinnacle of motorsport, the absolute peak of car engineering. It's supposed to be about development, who does the best job within the confines of the defined formula but as if FIA is not content with the current combination of strict rules and laws of physics that create a very strict perimeter for successful F1 car design, especially as far as the exterior goes, they'll limit the development you can do on the internal components as well. And there are talks of limiting aerodynamic design and even spec aero. Madness.

It also takes away the chance to browse new innovations in the design because nobody wants to take a risk of developing something like that and ending up being stuck with a car or an engine that does not work. Take the walrus nose from Williams few years ago, I bet they would not have been pleased if they would've been stuck with the initial version of that for the whole year. Or the Mercedes engines that have tended to be very unreliable at the start of the year and improving over the course of the season. And if it did work, odds are FIA would ban in anyway, as they did with Renault's mass dampers, and in that case you'd end up with a car designed to use technology that you couldn't use.

What disappoints (though does not surprise) me most of all is that the teams cannot get their rows sorted and stand up against Max and the FIA. Max and the world council can do whatever he wants these days with the rulebook and while the teams object against most of his decisions in public they cannot agree on anything. If they went together Max would not have a chance to force through these ridiculous rules.

Seriously, this engine freeze is a great idea.

The working group were touting the idea of 1.4 litre Turbo engines, which I dont like the sound of. Having engine development frozen is good for the sport.

I am for this!!

Why are you so in support of this? What good will it do the sport? Nothing, I tells ya, nothing except piss off the manufacturers so we end up with a weaker field. Brilliant.

Because it is with the agreement of all teams. If say Ferrari have a clear advantage over every other team with their engine then they will never agree to have it changed.

^ Exactly.

And if the teams end up not liking it, they will do what they can to overturn it.

My point is that they have to have the unanimous agreement of ALL stakeholders (which includes the teams) to change the engine. If one team has an advantage then they just refuse to agree and then the engine can't be changed so they keep their advantage for a further 5 years.