2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

Oh dear...now they really have gone crazy haven't they...every move the FIA makes is destroying the whole idea of what F1 is supposed to be about. And Peter, you're right. If one team is against it (and the team that wins will be), then it realy will take ten years...

Well, its confirmed..

FIA green light Singapore night race

Formula One racing?s governing body, the FIA, has confirmed the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix will take place at night as planned. The inaugural Singapore event, to be held on a new street circuit in the Asian city, is scheduled to take place on September 28.

?We are well on our way to creating history," commented Colin Syn, Deputy Chairman of Singapore GP. "With two positive lighting tests under our belt, we are on track to delivering the first night-race in Formula One history.?

The second new venue for the 2008 season, Valencia, is also understood to have received track approval. The event, to be titled the European Grand Prix, will take place in August on a newly-constructed street circuit around the Spanish city?s redeveloped marina.

In its latest update to the 2008 schedule, the FIA also confirmed next season?s Canadian race, removing its previously provisional status. The Montreal event will take place on June 8.

The 2008 calendar in full:

16 Mar Australia
23 Mar Malaysia
6 Apr Bahrain
27 Apr Spain
11 May Turkey
25 May Monaco
8 Jun Canada
22 Jun France
6 Jul Great Britain
20 Jul Germany
3 Aug Hungary
24 Aug Europe
7 Sep Belgium
14 Sep Italy
28 Sep Singapore*
12 Oct Japan
19 Oct China
2 Nov Brazil

*Night race

Source

I think the new engine development rules are bad, it will be a disaster for the sport. 10 years (even with the provisions) is way too long, especially if a team has a shit engine for three years...before they can develop it (with all stakeholders approval, which won't happen)

De la Rosa: `Seems like Alonso is staying`

McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa says it does not appear as if Fernando Alonso is about to leave the team.

The 26-year-old Catalan told Cadena SER that the double World Champ has the right mentality and advised the Woking team to hang onto Alonso's services.

"If you ask me what I would do, I would stay, because McLaren has proved to be a competitive team and Fernando is a born winner," de la Rosa said.

"Well, in the end you need to be happy with what you are doing," de la Rosa conceded. "Nobody [at McLaren] is saying that Fernando is going to go. In fact, everyone is working as if he is going to stay."

source

Not sure but Alonso did appear to be quite relaxed in Brazil and even went as far as towing the company line in regards to whether McLaren would maintain their equality policy and saying the FIA Tsar was not needed.

I've always thought Alonso will stay with McLaren for next season and I don't see any reason to change my views. Who cares if he doesn't talk to Ron Dennis? They're not best friends obviously, their relationship is that of boss and employee, which is as it should be. I don't think they hate each other.

He's been very immature this year and i think Hamilton's instant success has come as a pretty big shock which would certainly play a part in some of the stupid things he's said and done this year. I have no problem with him staying on for 2008 as long as his attitude changes. He is a proven winner and someone who can lead the team through any troubles that may arise (as long as he isn't the one creating them). That said, I'm not sure whether he should stay for next year. Another season like this one and I'm not sure what can happen! A Senna/Prost rivalry was very healthy for the team, but Hamilton/Alonso has been very destructive.

Essentially, if it was my decision, I'd try and retain him for at least one more season, and I'd even go as far as reallocating more resources in the team for Alonso as a show of good faith. McLaren just need to keep him happy, and he'll deliver.

Klien hopes to race in 2008
25 October 2007

Honda Formula 1's test and reserve driver Christian Klien hopes he can become a F1 race driver again in 2008. The Austrian believes he has a few opportunities coming up to get back into racing after having been Honda's test driver for one season.

Klien told Austrian press agent APA: "I will do everything I can to get back to racing next season. There are a number of seats still available but the whole market is still waiting to see what Fernando Alonso is going to do. Things look pretty good. I expect things to take about two or three more weeks before my future is cleared up for 2008."

Red Bull's former race driver doesn't want to be Honda's test driver for another season. He said: "A race seat with Honda is not possible unfortunately as they have their drivers signed already for 2008. If I would continue to stay at Honda for another year as the team's test driver I wouldn't make any progress in my career. I'm not testing enough to improve as a driver so one year of testing with Honda has been enough for me. I now want to get back to racing again."

Source

Re: Alonso.

He should stay at McLaren, because now he knows what to expect, and with such a good car likely, he will be ruthless in trying to tear Hamilton apart.

I was going to post up about Klien, he has been a forgotten man a bit. He is a decent steerer, I think he belongs on the F1 grid.

I was going to post up about Klien, he has been a forgotten man a bit. He is a decent steerer, I think he belongs on the F1 grid.

I havent forgotten about him. I think if he remains with Honda one more year, he will get Barrichello's drive in 09.

I sincerely hope Alonso gets kicked out of McLaren. I hate having to cheer for him in the name of constructors points. It's disgusting.

I have an easier time cheering for Kimi wins, but not Alonso. I don't even hate MS as much as I hate FA.

Thats a good point HondaF1. He seems very impatient for a drive.....however one more year as a tester could guarantee him a long term drive.

I would pay lots of money to see the lok on FA's face when he hears he is to become a tester...

Ted Kravtiz said:
About Renault in his Pitlane Report on itv.com/f1

"Anyway, their spirits will be raised when Alonso rejoins them alongside Nelson Piquet Jr next year."

God, thats the last thing Alonso would want hey, a rookie team-mate :lol:

I just don't understand why DLR hasn't been let go. It would seem to me he's bad for the team.

I just don't understand why DLR hasn't been let go. It would seem to me he's bad for the team.
we just have to see what McLaren will do for 2008.

God, thats the last thing Alonso would want hey, a rookie team-mate :lol:
That would be the worst thing to happen to alonso.

In GP2 he was almost as quick as Hamilton. And I really doubt his dad would sit there if his son was made #2.

That would be the worst thing to happen to alonso.

In GP2 he was almost as quick as Hamilton. And I really doubt his dad would sit there if his son was made #2.

Alonso's dad and Piquet Jnr's dad can re-create Nelson's famous fist fight.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SXbGDcMeo8[/YOUTUBE]

Kovalainen 'talking to many teams'
28 October 2007

Renault's F1 driver Heiki Kovalainen completed his first season in Formula 1 as a race driver with 30 points. The Finnish driver's team-mate Giancarlo Fisichella though managed to score only 21 points. Even though he did better than his experienced team-mate Kovalainen realises his position at Renault for 2008 is still uncertain.

The drivers' market is now waiting to see what will happen with Fernando Alonso. Will he stay at McLaren or will he return to the Renault F1 team perhaps? Kovalainen's management is not sitting still at the moment and is doing its best it can to keep Kovalainen in F1 next season. Speaking about the current situation Kovalainen explained to ITV: "We have been talking to many teams and all I can say is I have a contract with Renault until the end of the year. We have to wait and see what the other guys do.

"I hope I am in a competitive team next year. I think Renault can be very competitive next year. It's still very difficult to say what is going to happen."

Source

Alonso hints about future
30 October 2007

Fernando Alonso dropped some hints that he has a good idea where he'll be driving in 2008, but stopped short of clarifying whether it will be with McLaren or not.

"There are a number of available options and we're discussing all of them," Alonso told Telecinco. "I have some ideae what I want to do and a plan. I know what I'd like to do next year, but I don't know if it's possible yet."

"Whatever happens it will be a difficult season," he added.

Source

I wonder if Alonso goes back to Renault, if he'll demand Fisi be his team mate, so he doesn't have to battle with Kovi.