2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

Red Bull boss rules out Alonso deal

Tuesday, 27, November, 2007, 17:14

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz has moved to quell speculation that his team is chasing Fernando Alonso's services for 2008.

Following David Coulthard's assertion earlier this week that he is 100% certain to race for RBR next year, the Austrian billionaire himself ruled out the possibility of the double world champion joining the Red Bull stable in an interview with respected Swiss racing weekly Motorsport Aktuell.

"Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso have four drivers under contract," he said.

"From what I hear, Alonso is speaking to other teams about a one-year only deal. Such a deal is out of question for us.

"We would prefer to wait a year and prove that we can build a car which is capable of attracting one of the best Grand Prix drivers for 2009."

Alonso is out of contract after leaving McLaren by mutual consent following a catastrophic break down in relations and has subsequently been linked to Renault and Toyota, as well as Red Bull.

In his ITV column, Coulthard questioned the logic of the 26-year-old switching to RBR next year commenting: "I don't get the impression, based on Alonso's behaviour at McLaren, that he is happy to get variable results whilst knuckling down and developing the car into a winner."

Mateschitz admitted however that he expected his team to be in a position to bargain strongly for Alonso in 2009 if the 26-year-old secures a one-year deal elsewhere

"Of all teams which Alonso would have to chose, we for sure would be an alternative with big potential," said Mateschitz.

"We are looking for a two-year deal with an option for a third. We are looking for a common period of solid build-up."

Source

I think that pretty much means Renault is the only team left for Alonso...

The only option is Renault...and they don't really like the one year deal thing...that leaves Force India :p....

Latest rumour is that Alonso went for a seat-fitting today, but not at Renault, not at Force India... He actually went to a team based in Brackley (waiting for someone to scream with joy for the second time) and was shown around the factory by someone called RB. And one of the teams' drivers, a Brazilian, also went for a seat fitting at the teams' "younger brother" team.

(in brief: LATEST RUMOUR: ALONSO TO HONDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock::jawdrop::cry: )

OMG! Alonso to Honda!

Fernando Alonso spent an entire day at Honda's Brackley factory this week and even had a seat fitting, reports from Germany on Thursday said.

Sport Bild claims that the double world champion, who is still yet to commit to a team for 2008 after splitting with McLaren, is 'nearing an agreement' with the Japanese outfit that recently tabbed Ross Brawn as its new team boss.

It is reported that the first approach to Alonso about possibly joining Honda was made by F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, after the previously Nick Fry-led team embarrassingly netted just six points with its RA107 package this year.
Cliquez ici...

The publication said Alonso would take the place of Rubens Barrichello; the Brazilian veteran who would move to Honda's satellite team Super Aguri in 2008 as Takuma Sato's new team-mate.

Alonso's manager, Luis Garcia Abad, on Thursday was not contactable.

Source GMM
? CAPSIS International

Yeah, can't wait for that....lmao....this is great...

Hmm. If it's true, a few thoughts;

-Alonso and Honda may regret it. We've seen Alonsos tendancy to throw the toys out the pram when he doesn't get it 100% his way. Two races in a car that bad and he'll be for the door.
-I wonder if Honda realize they're giving Barichello a promotion by shoving him to SA?..
-Anthony Davidson really deserves to be racing in F1, it would be disappointing to see him dropped from Super Aguri.

Hmm. If it's true, a few thoughts;

-Alonso and Honda may regret it. We've seen Alonsos tendancy to throw the toys out the pram when he doesn't get it 100% his way. Two races in a car that bad and he'll be for the door.
-I wonder if Honda realize they're giving Barichello a promotion by shoving him to SA?..
-Anthony Davidson really deserves to be racing in F1, it would be disappointing to see him dropped from Super Aguri.

In 2001 Alonso had to drive a car much worse than the RA107, if you can imagine something like that (the Minardi PS01). Barrichello isn't getting a "promotion", because Super Aguri is going down the grid again because their sponsors have been playing up and the car became undevelopable late in the season, and how's this for a brainwave: Ant is dropped by Aguri, but McLaren snatches him to partner Hamilton.

In 2001 Alonso had to drive a car much worse than the RA107, if you can imagine something like that (the Minardi PS01).

Sure, but he never tasted success back then. Now he knows what it's like to win, it's a different ball game.

wow.........I also hope Davidson gets a seat next year......he's one of my favorite drivers on the grid. Heck, maybe he'll get a seat at Mclare. Seems a possibility for sure.

JH

Maybe Alonso will do a Schumacher....take a rubbish team with a huge budget and no results and drag them up the grid? However his biggest problem will still be the guy in the other car. You could argue Button is at the peak of his abilities and will probably remain there for the next couple of years.

Trouble with Davidson to McLaren is two Brits in a British team. No good for the marketing people. Davidson might not be a bad choice though, years as a test driver has surely given him decent set up knowledge.

Honda dismisses Alonso rumours

Honda has denied reports that Fernando Alonso has visited the team?s factory and is about to sign a race deal for 2008.

German publication Sport Bild claimed that Alonso, who is on the market after splitting with McLaren at the end of last season, recently had a seat fitting at Honda?s Brackley HQ and is close to agreeing a contract with the team.

It suggested that Barrichello would be farmed out to Honda B-team Super Aguri in order to accommodate Alonso.

However, Honda has categorically denied these reports and said it remains committed to its current driver line-up of Jenson Button and Barrichello.

A spokeswoman said: ?Fernando has not visited our factory, and Honda Racing confirmed their drivers for the 2008 season back in July.?

A return to Renault is still thought to be Alonso?s favoured option for next year, but he is believed to want a shorter-term commitment than team boss Flavio Briatore has proposed.

The Spaniard has also been linked to Red Bull and Toyota, although Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz said earlier this week that he was not interested in signing Alonso for a one-year deal.

Alonso?s manager has said the double world champion is in no hurry to make a decision, so the stalemate in the driver market looks likely to continue for a while yet.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41368

I dont want Alonso at Honda. I want Jenson and Rubens to see what they can do with Ross now at the team and also without TC next season.

I agree with Honda.....and welcome back *cue Welcome Back Kotter theme song*

Jense talked 2008 up at the Autosport awards.... (groans... no Jenson, don't talk 2008 up!)

Season break an option for Alonso - Says Coulthard

David Coulthard has said Fernando Alonso could take a season-long sabbatical from Formula One and return as a champion if he fails to secure a deal with one of the sport's leading sides.

Alonso has been linked with a return to the Renault team where he won two world titles in 2005 and 2006. But the French outfit face a spying hearing of their own, in Monaco on Thursday, after being accused of possessing confidential McLaren information.

Alonso may think twice about any move to Renault if they suffer a punishment which would affect his chances of winning a third world championship.

He also been linked with a move to Red Bull. David Coulthard has insisted he would not be making way for Alonso but did say he could emulate French Formula One great Alain Prost by taking a season off and returning as champion.

"He could take a year out," Coulthard said in London on Monday at the promotion of the Race of Champions event at Wembley. "I don't think it would be a problem for him to do that. Prost was the last guy to do that (in 1992), and he came back and won the world championship."

"If you can get yourself in one of the best two cars then you've a great chance of winning a world championship. But we saw this season, to even be in that situation, just how difficult it is to win a title."

"Even when you have one of the best cars, there are so many things that need to go your way, and you need to make good decisions all the way through."

Coulthard added that Alonso's chances of finding a team where he could win next season's championship were waning.

"He doesn't have the option of McLaren or Ferrari, and based on last season's performances, they were one of the two winning teams."

Coulthard though was clear Alonso would not be depriving him of a drive in Formula One next season.

"As I have been around the block a few times, my contract specifically states that if there is a world championship then they (Red Bull) have to enter me into it.

"And why would Fernando leave McLaren to come to Red Bull at this moment in time? If he didn't enjoy not winning a lot at McLaren, then he is not going to enjoy not winning at Red Bull."

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/071203172843.shtml