2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

I don't understand, why would Red Bull pay for Liuzzi's testing seat?

Rodriguez reveals: Force India signed Fisichella
09 January 2008

Roldan Rodriguez has confirmed the Force India Formula 1 team has signed Giancarlo Fisichella instead of the him. Rodriguez has always said he was close to becoming Force India's second driver, but on the day before the official announcement was scheduled he revealed the team's decision.

Force India had already confirmed Adrian Sutil for the upcoming season, but the identity of the team's second race driver and test driver were being held under wraps until Thursday's press conference in India.

Fisichella has been rumoured to become Force India's driver since his final test for the team at Jerez in December, but had yet to be confirmed. The scheduled press conference has now been spoiled by Rodriguez who said he could not compete against someone like Fisichella for the Force India F1 seat.

Rodriguez said: "My future is now very clear. We've always kept in the back of our mind that as soon as Fisichella was replaced by Nelson Piquet it would be difficult for me and now he is the chosen one. For me it is impossible to compete with someone who has contested over 200 races. The team decided to go for experience instead of a young driver."

"I am still growing as a driver and it is now very likely that I will compete another season in the GP2 series," e added.

Rodriguez was Force India's test driver in November and December.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/09/rodriguez-reveals-force-india-signed-fisichella/

Wurz joins Honda
10 January 2008

The Honda Formula 1 team announced on Thursday that they have signed Alexander Wurz as the team's new test driver. Wurz will join Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello at the Brackley based team.

Wurz left the Williams F1 team one race before the end of the 2007 F1 season and it was thought his F1 career was finished. The Austrian surprised a few when he was announced as Honda's test and reserve driver.

Wurz will commence his testing role with the Honda Racing F1 Team on Tuesday 22 January in Valencia, joining Jenson and Rubens at the Spanish circuit for the team's first test of the year. He will spend this test acclimatising to the team, its systems and last year's RA107 to provide a reference for his onward development role. The race drivers will be at the wheel of the team's new RA108 challenger, which will run in its interim colours in advance of the team's technical and livery launch at its Brackley headquarters on 29 January.

Commenting on his new role with Honda, Alex Wurz said, "I am delighted to be joining the Honda Racing F1 Team at the beginning of what I hope can be a very exciting period for the team. Honda has such a rich history of success in motorsport and it is a real honour to be part of a team that has racing right at the core of its operation.

"This is an excellent opportunity to play an important role in the development of the team going forward. My three previous teams have all been world championship winners and I hope to be able to contribute to Honda's ambitions. The chance to work with one of the best brains in F1 in Ross Brawn is very exciting, as is the level of resources that the Honda team has at its disposal. I am also looking forward to working with Jenson and Rubens, two drivers who I know very well, and I'm sure we will form a very successful partnership over the coming weeks. For now, my immediate focus is on getting back in a Formula One car in Valencia and starting work with the team."

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/10/wurz-joins-honda/

Autosport also reports Fisi being confirmed at Force India, apparently as no.1 driver... hmmmmmmmm..... but how good a choice have Honda made by signing Wurz as test driver?

^^ but how good a choice have Honda made by signing Wurz as test driver?

If Honda doesn't get at least 10 points next season I won't be the only one disapointed!

Very very good choices by both teams. Fisi is a good choice for Team India, plenty of experience to go with Sutils speed.

Wurz is an awesome development driver. If Honda don't turn things around it won't be for lack of quality personnel.

I'm glad Mallya has gone for Fisichella who is a talented driver and proven race winner. I think he could be very good for the team, perhaps take on a David Coulthard sort of role in helping the team develop as well as assisting Sutil with fine-tuning his racecraft. It's good that Mallya hasn't just gone for an Indian driver with a big wallet - it shows he is serious about this effort.

Force India + 1 :)

Red_Bull said:
I'm glad Mallya has gone for Fisichella who is a talented driver and proven race winner. I think he could be very good for the team, perhaps take on a David Coulthard sort of role in helping the team develop as well as assisting Sutil with fine-tuning his racecraft. It's good that Mallya hasn't just gone for an Indian driver with a big wallet - it shows he is serious about this effort.

Force India + 1 :)

Ditto, my feelings exactly. I was surprised that he didn't choose Narain Karthikeyan, who, I'm sure, we all thought was going to the that "other" driver, but Dr. Mallaya has proved that he's serious about his stay in Formula 1. Well done Sir.

I just hope Fisichella can find some form with his new team next year, rather than slump to the customary 21st and 22nd. :no:

^^Before he does that, he'll have to bring the team into the 21st century...

^ That's all Jordon will talk about - my glory year of 1999 and how the owners since then have ruined my team. He's also said that if Prodrive didn't start a team in 2008 he would, but I haven't heard anything since.

If (IF) Force India have one good race next year, the F1 Magazine that follows will have an article by Jordon taking the credit. :lmao:

I enjoyed watching Jordon, just like I enjoy watching super aguri, but come on man, you sold your team, get over it!

At the end of Eddie's tenure as team boss, Jordan had sunk without a trace. In 2004 they were scrapping with the Minardis, forced to take on pay drivers to simply see the year through. Yeah, 1999 was great but they simply failed to develop from there, and it was Jordan's own fault. He stepped away from the actual running of the team and put John Putnam in charge. Beurocracy in F1 just doesn't work. By the time Eddie realised, it was too late. He couldn't move the team forward as their major backers had deserted them, the key designers had all left and he'd lost his works engines was was being forced to pay for Ford and Toyota engines. Selling was the only option he had.

I'm not sure why Jordan has a column in F1 Racing, it's just him commenting on events and saying how much better he could do things. Sorry, but Eddie, you had your chance now it's time to move on and stop living in the past.

EJ is stuck in 1999. That's a definite. The only glory moment in the sinking years of the team was actually brought by the man who has just signed for the former Jordan team's 3rd owner...

I like how Honda signed Wurz. He will work well with Ross as he has McLaren and Williams testing background and will surely do a better job with Jense and Rubens. What a team hey :D

STOP PRESS

Alonso signs for Ferrari!

46061_2.jpg

Well, sort of...

Source