2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

Great drivers yes (Webber, Trulli, Heidfeld, Fisichella, Wurz...), but they wouldn't challenge an Alonso or a Raikkonen given the same car. They're drivers who have been around for years, comfortable with their surroundings and perhaps no longer giving 100% in the same way a young, talented rookie looking to make an impression would. Thats what I meant to say when I say there arent too many talented drivers.

I'm not trying to be biased, but I think Webber would be an exception.

I also agree, in terms of raw speed and professionalism I think Webber is in the Top 5 in F1.

I know what you mean as well, there are no amazing superstars at the moment. That is fair enough and we have lots of great young drivers that may become superstars. Time will tell.

I also agree, in terms of raw speed and professionalism I think Webber is in the Top 5 in F1.

I know what you mean as well, there are no amazing superstars at the moment. That is fair enough and we have lots of great young drivers that may become superstars. Time will tell.

Id say the superstars of the future at the moment are Hamilton, Sutil, Rosberg, Kubica, Kovi and Kimi.

Agreed on all counts sir. Kimi is closest, along with Hamilton. Hamilton will need to watch his attitude, the whole Senna/Prost comment he made grated with me big time.

Will we talk about any of those drivers as the greats of all time though??

Hamilton has the ability to be a great. But remember it's only his first season. I honestly think that out of those I mentioned, (and I left Alonso out cos I dont think he is a superstar of the future), I reckon Kubica is the one to watch.

I think Alonso should be included. He seems almost split personality, he is completely insecure and amoral at times, yet other times has the grace of a true world champion. Of all the current drivers I believe he will be the most successful of the current and future era.

I think Alonso should be included. He seems almost split personality, he is completely insecure and amoral at times, yet other times has the grace of a true world champion. Of all the current drivers I believe he will be the most successful of the current and future era.

Thinking about it, I do agree with you. He will only be successful as a double (at this stage) world champion, but he needs to do a bit to get back on track. I think moving to Ferrari with Kimi would be a good move, cos Kimi knows what its like at McLaren and how Alonso must be feeling.

Yes despite his success it has been a year to forget for Alonso. He expected to be number 1 despite the equal status. He needs to take a big break over the summer and forget his Mansell like insecurity and realise he is a fabulous driver more than capable of taking it to Hamilton. Relish the challenge and he could easily become one of F1's all time greats.

Ferrari not interested in Alonso

Ferrari team boss Jean Todt has cooled down suggestions that the Italian team could be interested in the services of current McLaren driver Fernando Alonso. The Spaniard was linked with Ferrari as his relationship with team boss Ron Dennis was not at its best.

When Ferrari team boss Jean Todt was asked about the chances to see Alonso at the team next season he told the press: "Zero percent that that will happen. We have two great drivers in Raikkonen and Mawssa and we are happy with them."

"We have a contract with both drivers and we respect it"

Source

EDIT - Speed also mentioned yesterday that Alex Wurz told them he won't be driving for Williams next year, but has a deal with them in an advisory role.

Last edited:
Alonso wants split from Hamilton
Fernando Alonso says he would rather not continue as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate in Formula One next year.

Their relationship deteriorated after Hamilton criticised Alonso last week.

And the Spaniard, who looks poised to lose the F1 title to his McLaren team-mate, said: "I'd be delighted if I didn't carry on with Hamilton.

"If we are not together next season and I can go to a good car, then great. If we have to carry on together then we will have another great battle."

Alonso, who was speaking in an interview with Spanish radio station SER, also denied speculation he could take 2008 off, returning to Formula One to drive for Ferrari when his McLaren contract runs out in two years' time.

"It hasn't entered into my plans not to race next year," he said.

"I don't have any news about Ferrari. They have a contract with Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa for next year, it's not a possibility that has entered into my thoughts for the coming year."

Hamilton says he would rather Alonso was not still at McLaren next year, even if it meant the double world champion ending up at Ferrari.

"I'd much rather it were Fernando at Ferrari and me at McLaren," said Hamilton prior to winning at Fuji Speedway on Sunday.

Alonso's relationship with McLaren team boss Ron Dennis has broken down after a series of disagreements during the year.

It reached a low point during a row at the Hungarian Grand Prix in August over Alonso's status in the team.

Alonso threatened during the row to reveal incriminating e-mail evidence about McLaren's involvement in the spy row that has dominated the sport this summer to the sport's governing body, the FIA.

He quickly apologised and withdrew the threat, but not before Dennis had telephoned FIA president Max Mosley to tell him of the conversation.

It ultimately led to McLaren being thrown out of this year's constructors' championship and fined ?49.2m for having confidential Ferrari technical information in their possession.

And Hamilton has turned up the pressure on McLaren to tear up Alonso's contract, which still has two years to run, by saying he sees a long-term future at the team.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7022171.stm

Problem is where can he go? Renault is the only option right now. Although a move to toyota would be super as well.

Ralf is leaving Toyota.

Ralf Schumacher has announced on his official website that he is leaving Toyota at the end of the season after three years at the team.

The 32-year-old German driver?s future in Formula 1 beyond this season has been up in the air for some time, with Toyota confirming recently that it would not make a decision on its second driver for 2008 alongside Jarno Trulli until the end of the year.

However Schumacher says he has come to the decision to leave the team following the season finale in Brazil to go search of a new challenge.

"Having been a Toyota driver in the past three years, I opted for looking for a new challenge," he said.

His plans for next season remain unclear, although he says he will be having talks with prospective employers in the coming weeks before making an official announcement on his next move after the season has finished.

He adds that the motives for his next move will not be dominated by money and he would much rather have the chance to race competitively again.

"I'm going to have several conversations in the coming weeks,? he said.

?I will announce my decision when the season is over.

?For me, the financial aspect is far less important than the chance of being involved in the development of a car and being successful afterwards."

Schumacher joined Toyota in 2005 following a record six-season stint at Williams where he won six grands prix.

However in three years at Cologne he has scored just three podium positions as the team has struggled to break out of Formula 1?s midfield.

He admits he had high hopes for his time at Toyota, but concedes it has not done enough to build a race-winning car.

"I joined Toyota with high expectations,? he said.

?On the one hand, I regarded it as a major and exciting challenge to be involved in the development of a new racing car.

?On the other hand, I also learned to like the Japanese style of living, during my long stay in Japan before entering Formula 1.

?And I still get on well with the Japanese mentality.

?But I am waiting for years for a competitive car."

Nevertheless he says he has enjoyed his time at the team and is now looking forward to a fresh start elsewhere next year.

"Toyota also was a nice and interesting experience - particularly the cooperation with the team, engineers and mechanics,? he said.

?Still, it?s time now to look for a new challenge."

Toyota has yet to make an official response to Schumacher?s announcement, although a statement from the team is expected imminently.

Hhh.. Thats interesting..

Flavio.jpg

Briatore confirms Alonso offer

By Michele Lostia and Matt Beer Monday, October 1st 2007, 11:47 GMT

Flavio Briatore and Fernando AlonsoRenault boss Flavio Briatore has confirmed that he has invited Fernando Alonso to rejoin the team whenever he leaves McLaren.

Alonso's former team have been at the forefront of rumours about the world champion's future, especially as Renault have not yet announced their 2008 driver line-up.

Briatore admitted that he had told Alonso there would be a place available for him at Renault if he wanted it.

"I told Fernando that the moment he is free from McLaren, we would be pleased to have him back," Briatore was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport. "It would be stupid to deny that."

Last weekend Ferrari team principal Jean Todt dismissed rumours that Alonso could join Ferrari in place of Felipe Massa next season, and Briatore agreed that Ferrari were right to keep the Brazilian and Kimi Raikkonen.

He said pairing Alonso with Raikkonen would potentially create the same driver hierarchy problems that have caused tension at McLaren this year.

"First of all, after this experience at McLaren, Alonso will think 27 times before facing new adventures in other teams, and besides Todt already has two good drivers," said Briatore.

"And lastly I wonder: would it be positive to team up Alonso and Raikkonen? The time when you could have two strong drivers in the team are over. Now it's important that the roles, number one and two, are clear, otherwise you risk to destabilise the team."

Briatore believes Alonso would not have joined McLaren if he had known that he would have to fight on equal terms with Lewis Hamilton.

"If before signing the contract they told Fernando: 'come with us but you won't have any sort of advantage', he wouldn't have gone," the Renault boss suggested.

"If you hire a world champion, then you must give him the number one status."

The Italian admitted that Renault's relationship with Alonso had not always been harmonious but felt the team had always successfully smoothed any issues.

"There had been tensions also when he was at Renault, but we got over them because we were always transparent with him," Briatore said.

He also joked about McLaren boss Ron Dennis's record with Latin drivers.

"Dennis has often reiterated to be very good at managing drivers, especially the Latin ones," said Briatore.

"With the problems he's had with (Ayrton) Senna, (Juan Pablo) Montoya and Alonso, he must have lost the instructions manual... Maybe he did not study Latin at school..."

Source
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62925

I can see the following changes happen now.

Alonso to Renault. Ralf to Spyker (Team India). Sutil to McLaren. Glock to Toyota (As he won GP2).

Last edited:
*sigh* With Ralf gone, who I am supposed to laugh at?

Oh right, there's always Alonso's childishness.

I reckon Toyota's announcement will go something like this....

"We have very much enjoyed working with Ralf Schumacher. When we signed him we looked forward to having a driver that could build a competitive car with us. We had high expectations. Unfortunately we have waited years for a competitive driver. We wish him well for the future, and look forward to signing a driver that can get past Q1"

I think one interesting thought would be to see Alonso and Kovaleinen switch places. I really like Heike and think he would mesh well with Hamilton. He's also a great driver that could be competitive but friendly with anyone. Just look at a the RAC a couple years ago to see that he has enough talent to beat the greats of Rally and F1. Having a couple of new young drivers would free up some of the tension and strife that Mclaren has built up this year. I also don't see Kovi meshing well with Alonso either, who seems like he does better with someone who is content just to drive and play a support role like Fisi did for him last year (reunite them in other words). I can't believe that any young driver up and coming driver like Kovi, Kubica or Rosberg would want to have that role. Much better to have someone who is on their way out, still wants a few wins/podiums when they can get it, and who is willing to be a team player/support role type person for a year or two.

Rosberg would also be a good fit for McLaren, but he seems intent to stay at Williams.

JH

You know if I was Briatore, I'd be doing my level best to do a swap between Kovalainen and Alonso, but maybe I'd place Heikki in at Red Bull and pitchfork Webber over to partner Alonso. He'd be mature enough to take any shit of Fernando's, while providing a good back-up and possibly give the Spaniard a kick up the backside every now and then. Of course Alonso wouldn't be coming back to Renault on the cheap, so in order to smooth the passage a bit, Flavio buys Rosberg out of his Williams contract, and gives him to McLaren. Briatore then gives Williams Piquet Jr as compensation.

Heh...dreams.

You know if I was Briatore, I'd be doing my level best to do a swap between Kovalainen and Alonso, but maybe I'd place Heikki in at Red Bull and pitchfork Webber over to partner Alonso. He'd be mature enough to take any shit of Fernando's, while providing a good back-up and possibly give the Spaniard a kick up the backside every now and then. Of course Alonso wouldn't be coming back to Renault on the cheap, so in order to smooth the passage a bit, Flavio buys Rosberg out of his Williams contract, and gives him to McLaren. Briatore then gives Williams Piquet Jr as compensation.

Heh...dreams.

The thing is though, Heikki is doing an excellent job now. At the beginning of the season he was erratic, but as the season progress he just became better and better. He's now comfortably out pacing outscoring Fisi, and he's scored what will probably be the teams only podium this year. Now, if you swap Heikki for someone slower because Alonso wants the number 1 status so much, that he doesn't want anyone challenging him, then that's one thing. Regarding talent and results, I would certainly keep Heikki.

Also, Honda F1, You said that the one to watch would be Kubica? Would that be the same Kubica that is being destroyed by Heidfeld? I would say that Sutil and Vettel are the definite ones to watch in the future, aside form Hamilton. Lewis himself has said how good Sutil is, and Michael Schumacher was the one to tell Gerhard Berger about Vettel and how he should "Watch out for him".

Oh and P.S, I think Mark Webber is highly underrated.