2008 Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix

I say this every year, but how the hell those guys thread the cars between the barriers, at those speeds, under those loads... beyond words how special and awesome that is.

Kubica, team radio: "The car is drifting and sliding"
I love seeing the cars do that in Monte Carlo :p

Races like these are where F1 drivers really earn their money and respect. If they keep it out of the barriers for the duration of the weekend, they're heroes.

EDIT: Holy crap, those gear ratios are sooooooooooooo short here!!!!!!!! 5th gear at under 200kph!

I say this every year, but how the hell those guys thread the cars between the barriers, at those speeds, under those loads... beyond words how special and awesome that is.

That's why I love Monaco, even if the race can be more boring than the Hungarian Grand Prix :lol:

It's insane how fast they get through the gears - like each one is first gear.

The "other" street circuit (Adelaide) was a compromise in terms of gearing due to the Brabham straight... here it's just basically the shortest possible gearing, with probably 270-290 being the top speed of the car when the engine runs into the limiter.

Williams looking good.
Red Bull looking crap.
However there are still 41 minutes and a free practice and a quali and a race to go so it doesn't really makes sense to draw a conclusion :D

Crap only just remembered about practice a few minutes ago, only caught the last 6mins. :(

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:15.140 40
2. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:15.533 + 0.393 39
3. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:15.572 + 0.432 42
4. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:15.869 + 0.729 37
5. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:15.881 + 0.741 39
6. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:16.296 + 1.156 34
7. Alonso Renault (B) 1:16.310 + 1.170 27
8. Button Honda (B) 1:16.351 + 1.211 45
9. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:16.372 + 1.232 40
10. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:16.418 + 1.278 32
11. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:16.426 + 1.286 44
12. Glock Toyota (B) 1:16.688 + 1.548 46
13. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:17.094 + 1.954 39
14. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:17.131 + 1.991 39
15. Piquet Renault (B) 1:17.246 + 2.106 35
16. Fisichella Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:17.251 + 2.111 33
17. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:17.379 + 2.239 28
18. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:17.581 + 2.441 38
19. Sutil Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:18.176 + 3.036 31
20. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:18.225 + 3.085 38

Crap only just remembered about practice a few minutes ago, only caught the last 6mins. :(

Only Mr Potato Head cares about Practice sessions.

Was good to see Alonso didn't want to leave his team mechanics with nothing to do - so he knocked his rear wing off on the same corner as Piquet....

Was good to see Alonso didn't want to leave his team mechanics with nothing to do - so he knocked his rear wing off on the same corner as Piquet....

Alonso hardly touched the barrier yet he made more damage to the car than Piquet.
Renault looks good for another points finish. I mean Alonso. Piquet... <_<

Apparently this is Frank Williams' 600th Grand Prix as a team owner.

Apparently this is Frank Williams' 600th Grand Prix as a team owner.

Well let's remember what this man went through to get here... a lot of adversity, tragedies, a crippling accident and financial difficulties at the start and now. Out of the current team bosses, Sir Frank Williams is a true hero.

Well let's remember what this man went through to get here... a lot of adversity, tragedies, a crippling accident and financial difficulties at the start and now. Out of the current team bosses, Sir Frank Williams is a true hero.

No wonder Williams is my favourite team <3:wub:

Nico: We have speed in reserve

Nico Rosberg said he hadn?t yet exploited the full potential of his Williams after setting an impressive second fastest time in Monaco on Thursday.

The young German, who was born and lives in the Principality, believes the sinuous street circuit may provide his best chance all season of repeating the podium finish he achieved in the Melbourne season-opener.

The Grove squad has gone particularly well in Monaco in recent years and Rosberg was delighted with the handling of the FW30 on the opening day of practice.

?First of all, it?s really nice to be driving here again because it?s just a really fun track,? he enthused.

?I was looking forward to this weekend because I thought we were going to have a good car here and it now looks like we?ve arrived with a good set-up.

?I was going well all day and felt comfortable in the car.

?I am also able to push quite hard so I?m hoping that I can keep it up do a good job in qualifying and then have a good race.?

Although he set his best time on the grippier super-soft tyre compound, Rosberg said the team still didn?t show its full hand and has more speed in reserve.

?We worked on a few set-up variants today,? he said.

?We didn?t finish the session using our optimum set-up, but we know where we need to go and we still have some reserves up our sleeves, so I am pretty happy with how things are looking.?

Team-mate Kazuki Nakajima had a more difficult time on his F1 debut in Monte Carlo, but acquitted himself reasonably well, finishing the afternoon 0.8s adrift of Rosberg in ninth place.

?It wasn?t an easy day for me, but I think we?ve made some improvements when it comes to understanding the car and I?m getting used to the track as well,? said the Japanese rookie.

?Because of the free day tomorrow, we have lots of time to go through today?s data, which will help us prepare for qualifying.?

Technical director Sam Michael added: ?It was a reasonably productive day for the team.

?Both drivers completed their set programmes, and it was good to get through both sessions without any incidents.

?The weekend is still young so the drivers need to keep their concentration up round this track.

?In terms of tyre choice, it?s pretty clear which one is faster.?

Ste Devote

Good news from the Williams camp then, and even Nakajima looks competitve. McLaren still the team to beat I think, but Ferrari are right up there as well. Qualifying is going to be fantastic, it's just soo long to wait!

Sir Frank about Monaco: "It doesn't make sense on Sunday at three o'clock when no-one can overtake anybody, but until then it's dramatic and fantastic. "

:D

Is the race at three or two? F1.com says 2 PM, but Frank Williams and tradition say 3 PM. I really want to know because Channel 10 is showing it at 10:45 PM, which means if the race is at 3 PM Channel 10 are showing it live.

OOH I'M SO EXCITED!