2008 Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix

Devon

Car(s)
2008 MY09 Subaru Impreza RX
Welcome to the 2008 Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix, Round 15 at the Singapore Street Circuit in Singapore.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/17/singapore_trackmap.jpg

After a very interesting Italian Grand Prix which saw Sebastian Vettel take his first F1 pole and win, the teams head to the all new Singapore Street Circuit, the first ever Grand Prix to be held at night.

Below is a virtual lap of Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel racing on the Singapore Street Circuit narrated by Webber.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPegAxc6NPA&feature=related[/youtube]

Here are the questions:

1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race?
2) Which three drivers will be on the podium?
3) Who will lead the WDC after Singapore, Lewis (78pts) or Felipe (77pts)?
4) How many safety cars will there be?
5) Who will lead the constructors? championship after Singapore, Ferrari (134pts) or McLaren (129pts)?
6) Will this be Rubens Barrichello?s last season in F1?
7) What are your thoughts/expectations of the Singapore Street Cirucit?

Who will dominate at the first Grand Prix on the streets of Singapore? There is only one way to find out, the race starts at 8pm local time on the 28th September.

Until then, let the discussions begin!!

Hamilton for both
Hamilton, Massa, Alonso
Hamilton by 3pts
I'd say about 2
5) Who will lead the constructors? championship after Singapore, Ferrari (134pts) or McLaren (129pts)?
McLaren unless Kimi does something shocking and scores some points
Should be but he might stick about for another year
There will be loads of hype about the new track and it being a night race, but the race will be dull as dish water...unless it rains of course.

Massa, Massa

Massa, Kimi, Hamilton

Massa

Ferrari

Yes

Should be alright. Hopefully not as boring as Valencia.

I was just thinking this morning why no SG-GP thread was open yet ;)

7) I'm really looking forward to it. The video from Red Bull only makes that more so given the possible overtaking points, though they predict one more than i had previously thought. I still think two points are more likely than the third with T7 at the end of Raffles Boulevard being the most obvious.

The circuit is probably closer to a Canadian GP one than a Monaco or Valencia one. It won't be as dull as Valencia for sure.

With regards questions 1-6....... i have no idea. It's so open its unbelievable. I think Toro Rosso will do well again but will only make the Top-6 not the podium. McLarens should be the strongest and the longer i think about it the closer i get to;

2)..... 1. Hamilton 2. Massa 3. Kovaleinen in that order

One thing is Hamilton's reaction to the team's appeal results. If it goes against Lewis, possibly on the back of his driving style at Monza that did him no favours, then he might just flip out completely and DNF. If he does, chances are high it would likely involve one of the Ferraris.

4) One, maybe.

1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race? Massa, Kimi. (Just to mix it up from stevanford1's predictions)
2) Which three drivers will be on the podium? Kimi, Massa, Kubica
3) Who will lead the WDC after Singapore, Lewis (78pts) or Felipe (77pts)? Massa
4) How many safety cars will there be? 0
5) Who will lead the constructors? championship after Singapore, Ferrari (134pts) or McLaren (129pts)? Ferrari
6) Will this be Rubens Barrichello?s last season in F1? Yes
7) What are your thoughts/expectations of the Singapore Street Cirucit? None, didn't even know it was a street circuit :? Edit: Just watched the video, gonna look great for sure.

Pole: Lewis, Race win: Massa

Massa, Hamilton, Vettel.

According to what I said a bit before... Massa, leading by a single point.

None at all.

I expect either a tie or a one-point difference in Ferrari's favour.

Yes.

7) What are your thoughts/expectations of the Singapore Street Circuit?

I just hope and pray it's not as boring as Valencia. But with the race run in the dark, and in colder conditions, it will make it more interesting in terms of tire management... and in that case, if a leading driver doesn't protect his tires, he will either have to pit or get swamped by rivals... or crash.

Masser, Louise

Louise, Kubitza, Wibbah

Louise, with his deserved 6 point advantage over Massa refunded to him as a bonus

One

Mclaren, aided by the 6 points given back to them after the hearing.

Not quite yet, I think.

Expecting it to look fantastic, thinking of visiting the circuit at least once in my lifetime to experience the cars traveling under my grandstand. It's going to be something epic :D

Hamilton, Hamilton (I've always predicted this recently and he hasn't won since Hockenheim so I'll keep doing it :D)
Hamilton, Massa, Kimi
Lewis
One
Ferrari
No.
I hope it's better than Valencia.

Hamilton, Hamilton (same reason as Joco, basically)
Hamilton, Webber, R?ikk?nen
Hamilton
Tied
No.
Even though Valencia turned out quite disappointing in terms of a race perspective, I'm confident this will be different. With the Singapore night skyline as a backdrop and so many of the city's monuments in view, it will at least look spectacular.

Hamilton, Hamilton
Hamilton, Hekki, Kubica
Lewis will lead
Ferrari
I hope not, but realistically Yes it will be
I hope its not going to be as boring as Europe

The Hamilton haters will be proven wrong... or in this case right, come Singapore

I'm not a hater.
But I don't like him and I don't want him to win the championship. That doesn't mean I'm a hater ;)

1) Who will take Pole and who will win the Race? Kubica and Lewis
2) Which three drivers will be on the podium? Lewis, Masa, Kubica
3) Who will lead the WDC after Singapore, Lewis (78pts) or Felipe (77pts)? Lewis
4) How many safety cars will there be? none
5) Who will lead the constructors? championship after Singapore, Ferrari (134pts) or McLaren (129pts)? Ferrari
6) Will this be Rubens Barrichello?s last season in F1? yes
7) What are your thoughts/expectations of the Singapore Street Cirucit? first few laps will be good and then follow the leader...

Toyota hater and Honda lover :)

Last edited:
I'm no longer a Hamilton hater, I'm a Hamilton ignorer now. I don't hate him, I just don't like him and stopped caring about him.

I'm not a hater.
But I don't like him and I don't want him to win the championship. That doesn't mean I'm a hater

Bring it

The WDC will be closer at the end of this race or will close up just a bit more hehehe images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Ahhh you guys know what I mean :p

I just hope and pray it's not as boring as Valencia. But with the race run in the dark, and in colder conditions, it will make it more interesting in terms of tire management... and in that case, if a leading driver doesn't protect his tires, he will either have to pit or get swamped by rivals... or crash.

It's still 26-28 degrees here at night so whilst cooler than the Malaysia GP over the border it's no cooler than what they've been doing the last few months and i would say it's still quite hotter than certainly the last few races.

I think the wattage of the lights used will have an important impact on track temperature too.

It's still 26-28 degrees here at night so whilst cooler than the Malaysia GP over the border it's no cooler than what they've been doing the last few months and i would say it's still quite hotter than certainly the last few races.

I think the wattage of the lights used will have an important impact on track temperature too.

I imagine it will have cooled down significantly by the time quali/race time comes around, though who knows. It is sea level in a tropical region.

As for the lights, they will likely be using Metal Halide lights or some variant of similar to them, and they hardly put out any heat. They heat up, but nothing like a normal incandescent bulb would. Picture the similarity between a flourescent bulb compared to your normal light bulb and being able to touch them.

I think its going to be a really fun race to watch, and I doubt the lighting situation will be at all a problem for them. I expect that it will be relatively business as usual with the teams, just with a different time schedule. Its not like it would be any easier if it was a day time race, since they just spent the last couple months in Europe and have to travel to a totally different time zone and would have to adjust anyways. It just means the after parties will start all that much later:cool: .

JH

I imagine it will have cooled down significantly by the time quali/race time comes around, though who knows. It is sea level in a tropical region.

I did mention night time temperatures already were 26-28 degrees where I did mean around midnight and not just 6-7pm.

Daytime, mid afternoon right now is about 34-degrees. I know this because the sunlight pounding into my car window dowstairs was too much to bear when i nipped out for lunch.