2008 Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix

I'm pretty sure the water on the track had something to do with it, but I think it was mostly down to surprise.

Enjoyed that race, I think it was a success. :D

James Allen is more of an idiot than we all thought. He nearly spluttered "Shinji Nakano" when looking at Nakajima on track.

(Watching the ITV broadcast now)

Could massa be penalised for pulling back into the race when it wasn't clear? Could he have seen if it was clear or not?

Could massa be penalised for pulling back into the race when it wasn't clear? Could he have seen if it was clear or not?

Is the car silver? Than no, of course not.

Ferarri think they own the track, cutting people off in the pit lane ect. Problem is, its looking more and more like they actually do.

James Allen is more of an idiot than we all thought. He nearly spluttered "Shinji Nakano" when looking at Nakajima on track.

(Watching the ITV broadcast now)

The Hungarian commentator calls him Satoru Nakajima sometimes. But at least it's related :p

He used to call Alonso "Pedro Alonso" almost a whole season long in 2001, so I'm not surprised.

The speed commentators were saying that corner is pretty much a blind one (perhaps the reason for Bordais taking a trip to the runoff area earlier). So I think if Massa hadn't pulled back onto the track Sutil would have crashed into the Ferrari instead of the water wall. In short, there was nowhere for Sutil to go.

great race. I LOLed at Ferrari, they got what they deserved for the Hamilton incident in Belgium GP. Remember, that there were Ferrari lawyers in the FIA hearing between FIA and McLaren! Even though I enjoyed Ferrari getting zero points, I think Massa shouldn't have received the penalty, it defenitely seemed like an overkill, he wasn't going after any points anyway after the fuel hose incident.

I don't like Alonso, but he deserved the win, great drive!
Lewis, well, he was stuck behind Coulthard for too long, I was hoping for more, but he seemed to just drive carefully and not to "offend" anyone. Definitely felt, that he wasn't aggressive.

And a great drive from Rosberg, him an Vettel are bringing new fresh talent to F1, way to go!

I think Massa shouldn't have received the penalty, it defenitely seemed like an overkill, he wasn't going after any points anyway after the fuel hose incident.

Thats probably why they did it, they thought "hmm, he's going to lose anyway, lets take this chance to penalize him with no additional ill-effect for our boy. That way the next time we help them for real, we can point back and say "ah-ha! we dont have a ferrari bias, we did this!".

The only reason they penalized Massa here and not earlier was because this time he was dragging the fuel hose along with him. That's a bit more dangerous than just getting a little close to another car in the pit lane exit.

The only reason they penalized Massa here and not earlier was because this time he was dragging the fuel hose along with him. That's a bit more dangerous than just getting a little close to another car in the pit lane exit.

no, they said the penalty was for unsafe release from stop into the path of another car.

^ F1 officials also said Hamilton didn't give back the position after cutting the chicane...

The speed commentators were saying that corner is pretty much a blind one (perhaps the reason for Bordais taking a trip to the runoff area earlier). So I think if Massa hadn't pulled back onto the track Sutil would have crashed into the Ferrari instead of the water wall. In short, there was nowhere for Sutil to go.

Not sure i believe its blind. It's a flat stretch of road and there are markers still for the 150, 100 and 50m prior to the turn plus as they hit the 100m area they'll be able to see the cutting into the grandstand for them to turn into.

The chicane at the end of Padang is pretty much blind, trying to line up without really seeing over the front of the car.

either way, no consistency with penalties (

This is why some have said the Stewards should be three fixed guys for each race and travel with the circus, maybe one being an ex-driver.

Interesting race. Love the night racing concept, and the Singapore skyline is beautiful at night. The track on the other hand is rather boring (though more interesting than Valencia, then again my neighborhood street is more interesting than Valencia).

Unfortunetly my DVR cutoff the race with 2 laps to go, so I downloaded the ITV version. My god these commentators are assholes. Makes me appreciate the SpeedTV team here in a America much more, minus Peter Windsor who can barely hide his massive hardon for Hamilton. But listening to the ITV team its like a Hamilton orgy. Still the coverage is better in terms of content. We get a gridwalk, some minor interview snippets and the race with ceremony and driver conference (unless its on network TV in which its compressed and often not shown).

^ I've never noticed Peter Windsor getting a "Hard On" over Lewis Hamilton or any of the other drivers.

Hamilton grew up by staying put and not risking an overtake - last year he would have gone for it and its too risky on that track - see water discussion above. Saw the bigger picture here me thinks.

^ I've never noticed Peter Windsor getting a "Hard On" over Lewis Hamilton or any of the other drivers.

Do you have access to the SpeedTV coverage? Monza for example, he did like a 5 minute interview piece on Hamilton about how great he is. Never did that for any other driver. Rarely criticizes him either, but goes apeshit on Alonso when he makes a mistake.