2008 Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix

oooh you guys are so lucky! can't go this year cos i'm quite cash-strapped... hopefully i'll make it next year. :cry:

guess i'll just have to settle with watching the race at home (and btw channel 5's coverage of the race sucks!).

Nothing like that...... i have a friend with a 3-day ticket but now can't go Friday, something to do with leaving his flight booking to come only till last week when, of course flights on Friday were sold out.

I'm only going Friday but i didn't expect to go at all this year so will take the opportunity to have a good look around the Bay area to check out if the Walkabout ticket is worth a look next year. I don't expect ticket sales to be so strong next year.

Personally i don't think the grandstand locations are worth it for what you see......especially compared to RM800 at Sepeng where i saw the entire back-half of the track from opposite the hairpin. This is the difference between a street and modern purpose built circuit.

How do you know Channel5's coverage will suck? This is the only race they are showing so it depends where they get their commentry. Almost anything is better than Steve Slater on Star Sports though. I might watch the run-up on Star and the race on 5.

Nothing like that...... i have a friend with a 3-day ticket but now can't go Friday, something to do with leaving his flight booking to come only till last week when, of course flights on Friday were sold out.

I'm only going Friday but i didn't expect to go at all this year so will take the opportunity to have a good look around the Bay area to check out if the Walkabout ticket is worth a look next year. I don't expect ticket sales to be so strong next year.

Personally i don't think the grandstand locations are worth it for what you see......especially compared to RM800 at Sepeng where i saw the entire back-half of the track from opposite the hairpin. This is the difference between a street and modern purpose built circuit.

How do you know Channel5's coverage will suck? This is the only race they are showing so it depends where they get their commentry. Almost anything is better than Steve Slater on Star Sports though. I might watch the run-up on Star and the race on 5.

My friend has the walkabout ticket, i'll ask her if it was any good/worth it when she gets back from the race.

Hmm okay, maybe it was a bit quick of me to judge channel 5, but i've looked at their schedule for the races for all 3 days, and it doesn't seem all that... comprehensive (dunno if it's the right word).

But yeah, i guess it's better than nothing at all. :)

ladora, why don't you go to the track on sunday and sit around outside for a bit to see if anyone's getting rid of a ticket.

My friend picked up a grandstand ticket for Sunday for the Canadian GP for turn one for 50 dollars because some guy had someone not show up, so he needed to get rid of the ticket.

You never know, you might just score :).

thanks for the advice! : D

I haven't got a ticket! :(

And having exams from tomorrow onwards (like the rest of the secondary school student population), I may not be able to go on Sunday, the actual BIG DAY.

I will take a look tomorrow though, no matter what happens. I have a membership on the top of Peninsula Plaza which might offer me an excellent view, though everything will be small like ants =/

Fellow Singaporeans, any good sites where I can watch it for free? Like the top of some multistorey carpark or something?

And having exams from tomorrow onwards (like the rest of the secondary school student population), I may not be able to go on Sunday, the actual BIG DAY.

I will take a look tomorrow though, no matter what happens. I have a membership on the top of Peninsula Plaza which might offer me an excellent view, though everything will be small like ants =/

Fellow Singaporeans, any good sites where I can watch it for free? Like the top of some multistorey carpark or something?

Are you taking your O's? or just regular end of the year exams? All the best, i remember i used to make camp at Terminal 1 & 2 back in days when i was revising for my exams.

Not sure where you can go to watch the race for free, so i can't help you with that.

And anyways, if you guys are interested you can head on over to http://www.channelnewsasia.com/nightrace/videoarchives.htm to watch some interviews with the drivers, Sir Jackie Stewart, and others.

^I'm having my Sec3 end of years, going on for 3 weeks! :(

Anyway, I'll spend most of tomorrow walking around and looking out for a good spot. From Googling, someone hinted a 'grass'. hmm...

Weather from the local weather forecast:
Friday: Predawn and early morning showers with thunder.
Saturday: Fair.
Sunday: Morning showers with thunder.

I don;t think anybody will show it for "free" not expecting you to buy a drink etc. but I know Chijmes has a few big screens dotted around you might be able to sneak a look from, for example.

Other than that, Ch5 at home?

The coverage is pretty good. It's unusual to show Friday practice and a lot on Saturday other than qualifying so they are already showing more than a standard race coverage on Star. As i said, a lot depends greatly on where they get the feed from, if it's ITV in the UK then fair enough the commentry will be ok.......those of you outside the Star Sports coverage, the ITV stuff is better, take my word for it.

There is always the option of watching the "Speed" channel from the US, via the TVU player (for one) and the internet. Their commentry is also pretty good and quite professional.

Personally i don't think the grandstand locations are worth it for what you see......

Singapore has one of the best grandstands in the whole F1 Calendar where the cars go right under it. Having been to the races, I can just about imagine what that is going to look, feel, and sound like when the cars zoom right under you, specially on the first lap!

Hmm, i have a question and i wonder if some of you guys who have been to past F1 races could help me out.

The singapore gp website says that there'll be merchandise booths, but i'm wondering if it will just be selling like generic singapore gp merch, or will they be selling like, the merchandise of the different teams?

I can't go to the race, but my friend is working at the Paddock, so i was asking her to help me check out some stuff. I want to get some mclaren merch, but the sports shops in singapore aren't selling any (and online shopping is out, no card), so my best bet is the merch booth itself.

Anyone here who give me a rough idea of what they're selling? Like shirts, caps, lanyards, etc?

Any help is mucho appreciated! *big hug*

There is team specific merchandise; t-shits, caps, jackets, pens etc. and be forewarned, they're not cheap.

McL, by the way, have a little booth in Clarke Quay just across from The Pump microbrewery at the fountain, near the back door to IndoChine. You might want to have a look there first. I'm sure i've seen another somewhere just can't remember where.

If there were any team members awake this morning, i'm sure they are now shitting themselves. They would have been likely woken by the thunder and lightning anyway, but that rain was pretty heavy when i drove to work. See how long it takes now to go off.

mclarensmps: What i meant was what you would see is very little. That Marina Bay Grandstand is where i am this afternoon, right over the "tunnel" but other than the cars passing the grandstand i'm not going to see anything else. With binoculars i might be able to see the turn at the Fullerton but other than that we'll be watching the big screen. In comparison to new dedicated circuits where you can see maybe 1/4 of the track, seeing ~300m is very costly for the experience of feeling the cars go under you.

There is team specific merchandise; t-shits, caps, jackets, pens etc. and be forewarned, they're not cheap.

McL, by the way, have a little booth in Clarke Quay just across from The Pump microbrewery at the fountain, near the back door to IndoChine. You might want to have a look there first. I'm sure i've seen another somewhere just can't remember where.

If there were any team members awake this morning, i'm sure they are now shitting themselves. They would have been likely woken by the thunder and lightning anyway, but that rain was pretty heavy when i drove to work. See how long it takes now to go off.

Awesome, i might head on down over to that little booth at Clarke Quay later on today! :)
EDIT: Might the other booth you were referring to be the one at Paragon? If this is the same one as the one clarke quay then i think they might have closed already, because the one at Paragon closed on the 24th.

My mom's office is actually near the fullerton, and from her office she can see the long esplanade drive stretch, albeit it's quite far. I'm thinking of going over tonight to see if i can catch a glimpse of the practise laps, and to see if it's worth camping over in her office for the next 2 days lol. But in any case i'm taking the camera along so if it's a reasonably good view i'll take some pics.

The rain was h-e-a-v-y! I remember waking up and thinking "i wonder what the formula one people are doing now... they're probably shitting themselves at the amount of rain!". Even mika hakkinen commented on how bad the rain was, during his live interview on primetime morning just now.

Last edited:
Actually, besides F1 racing at night, there are like few races in the afternoon, Aston Martin cup etc.

Last edited:
Awesome, i might head on down over to that little booth at Clarke Quay later on today! :)
EDIT: Might the other booth you were referring to be the one at Paragon? If this is the same one as the one clarke quay then i think they might have closed already, because the one at Paragon closed on the 24th.

I was only on Clarke Quay last week....but will be parking near there this afternoon before taking the boat down to the Flyer jetty. No idea if it closed like the Paragon one........ it was maybe two or three weeks ago i was in Paragon so may have been that one.

Sun's just beginning to come out now so should be nice and dry again for tonight. I think i'd say we've had our rain for today and if like the rest of this week it just rains in the morning then it will be perfect.

I'm looking forward to seeing the practice of the Astons this afternoon. The Porsche Cup at Sepang this year was so funny......one SG driver going soooo slow he got lapped...... on lap 2. He got the biggest cheer after the race, i think he travelled about half the distance of the winner.

Charlie Whiting approved the track late last night...... so, looks good.

I watching FP1 right now, wow what a sight. The Singapore background/venue is beautiful. I was actually worried about the flood lights becoming too distracting, but as a spectator you can still feel the darkness of the area.

I watching FP1 right now, wow what a sight. The Singapore background/venue is beautiful. I was actually worried about the flood lights becoming too distracting, but as a spectator you can still feel the darkness of the area.

Agreed, I watched the onboard lap with Vettel, it looks quite bumpy out there.

It's very odd to watch - feels like I'm watching them race inside a closed, lit arena. But yes, the backdrop is pretty spectacular.

You can visibly see the car's suspension bouncing along, as if the road surface is made of shale.

What happened to Webber?:cry:

^ It looked like a Gearbox failure from the onboard shot. When he was trying to shift from 2nd after he hit the wall.