2008 Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix

HOLY SHIT:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97nQ4IYqnOk[/YOUTUBE]

I'm loving this track already...

I'M BACK!
Just back from the 1st round of practice sessions!

Photos and videos coming soon!

DSC03094.jpg

DSC03068.jpg

EDIT: VIDEO!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loGyYFpYh-0[/youtube]

Last edited:
might i say that the real experience was nothing that i had expected!
the noisE! the smell of brake pads! oh my was it ecstatic!

anyway, what got me was that besides the awe-striking shriek of the engines, what got my attention of the raw power was the downshifts, the backfires followed by the mechanical rage of the gearboxes doing their thing!

can't wait for race day itself!

btw, hamilton ftw!

Am I the only one who thinks the images from the track look incredibly boring?
Except for the shots from the helicopters, alls you see is gray concrete, black asphalt, gray fences and everything outside the track is covered in darkness.
It's a uniqe look I'll give you that, but to watch it on TV... Boring.

Last edited:
Really? I actually enjoyed the glimpses of the building and the bridge. The trees and the public roads that the cars go through are a bonus.

I just really hope on Sunday there will be an exciting race with overtaking and battles.

^^I'm afraid overtaking isn't gonna happen in the dry. The lap is way too busy, too many corners, no straights...But the race will be great in the same way Monaco can be great....

Am I the only one the images from the track look incredibly boring?
Except for the shots from the helicopters, alls you see is gray concrete, black asphalt, gray fences and everything outside the track is covered in darkness.

I'm with you, that kubica clip, all i saw was fence... and more fence.. <_<

the track does look very busy and tight, kubica was fighting the wheel a good bit. Well quali will be good at least.

It will reward to precise driver, and destroy the careless. Interesting race on Sunday, but I agree - qualifying will be everything.

I will be going there today again to watch the Aston Martin/BMW/Porsche Carrera Cup Asia races.

Video added to my post above! :D

There is absolutely nowhere to pass on that circuit. This is gonna be a snoozer....welcome back Valencia!!! :(

Its just...........surreal. That Kubica onboard looks like a "secret" mode in one of those F1 games where you get to race an F1 car in ridiculous scenarios. F1 meets NFS:Underground.

Bit like Valencia, looks like a great track to drive but hard to guarantee a good race, wait and see in hope though I guess.

Woot....I am back from the Friday practice, it's Saturday now here.

It's a fantastic experience. I was at the bay grandstand, red seats, which is like 5m away from the F1 cars. But, it's utterly loud. Will post some picture later on.

It will reward to precise driver, and destroy the careless. Interesting race on Sunday, but I agree - qualifying will be everything.
That's what I'm thinking too and F1 needs more tracks like that. All these new circuits are way too forgiving and lead to the glorified parades we've been seeing for years. Someone can make a big mistake and just follow the runoff and get back to where they were like nothing happened. At Singapore it seems that the smallest mistake will lead to race ending damage which should keep the drivers on their toes.

Watching that Kubica video reminded me of amusement park go cart tracks I've been on. I love that! :thumbup:

Okay..... so a bit of a report for you guys before i put pictures into Flicker or somewhere.

ladora: it's a pity i didn't have your mobile number......you probably would have got inside. We took the River Taxi from Clarke Quay, arrived at the Flyer and headed for Gate2. We never found Gate2 but we did manage to walk right through a Marshals post and stand on the track side.

Nobody was checking tickets...... i had mine in my pocker ALL afternoon.

There is a little bridge connecting the two halves of One Fullerton, i saw easily half a dozen people on it when i looked during the BMW qualifying. Report in todays paper has people at Marina Square able to watch the race free from somewhere.

The Marina Grandstand was quite a big disappointment..... none of that vibration in the seat of your pants as the cars went under it. Looks like they really know how to build a grandstand!

The plus point was there is an Air Conditioned bar at the top of the grandstand but at peak time you'd have to wait easily half an hour in the queue for a beer or food. Just beside that we looked over the back of the grandstand just above the track.....no nets, no nothing, just a great view directly above the driver.....pity i had no eggs, one would have ended up on Massa ;)

Going round that right hander there is a huge bump on the exit, the Porsches were really having a tough time bottoming out

Under the grandstand was LOUD as hell, access was given to the Support Race pits for the whole day. You could get right upto the cars etc. and talk to the mechanics when they weren't so busy.

TIP for next year: Get a Walkabout ticket. There is so many places to see the race from and still see a big screen. I ended up about 4m away from the cars as they headed passed the Esplanade Theatre, after their 90-degree right turn and half way towards the Marina Grandstand. Could see the whole length of that straight. They were over 200kph passing me, and me without earplugs but still not so bad. All will be revealed in my photos but its tricky taking cars as they pass at that speed and the one i do have with even a car in the shot is really a blur but a great effect of speed.

I walked basically from the Flyer to the Fullerton and there is some really great places to sit by the trackside and watch the action. Definately would not go into a grandstand.

Overall a really good day except for one incident as we tried to get from Marina Bay Grandstand to the Esplanade just before the end of F1 first practise. The police in their wisdom blocked the pavement through but people were walking the other way.....a thousand odd people held hostage for 15-min or more until the more inspired took down a barrier to the marshal's path and created two way traffic with the police trying to stop us going through. A few tempers started to fly but i suppose once incident in the day is not bad...... although i didn't count the fact people were not checking tickets and we managed to get in without passing through a gate......we missed it because signage was hopeless. It was a last minute deal to allow the River Taxi to go to the Flyer so infrastructure was not prepared.

Last edited:
^ I was at the Marina Square free viewing site :p

It's opposite Marina Mandarin, on top of an elevated drain! It's where I took my video posted above! :lol:

Last edited:
Seems the lighting might need some tweaking - not really surprising though, there's always small changes needed with new circuits (particularly street ones).

F1 drivers raise concerns over Singapore street circuit
27 September 2008

Formula 1 drivers finished a one hour meeting on Friday evening with race director Charlie Whiting to request a number of improvements to the race track in Singapore . The drivers complained about the lighting at some parts of the tracks, the pitlane entry and bumps.

While most drivers were very positive after Friday's two free rpatice session there are still some concerns in the brand-new street circuit. Some drivers expressed their concerns about the lighting quality at some parts of the track.

Fernando Alonso said about the lighting: " I was really impressed with the track here in Singapore when I walked the track. But behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car at 300 km/h some parts of the track are still a bit dark."

A number of drivers also pointed out that Turn 10's kerbs are still too high. "We've seen a few drivers already having incidents there at Turn 10 and I'm sure we'll see more of the same story during the weekend if it can't be changed," Coulthard said.

Source

They didn't check tickets?! Damn i should've i tried harder to get in! : D

Those blue-and-white tapes that the police put up were just useless. People just stepped right over them and climbed fences and anything and everything to get a glimpse. tut-tut... although i was one of those people who did that as well. :p

Definitely getting a walkabout ticket next year. From what i could see, the grandstands didn't seem all that great... i think with street racing it might be better to just walk around cos you'd be able to see a lot more. my friend who had the walkabout ticket feels the same way too.

^ I was at the Marina Square free viewing site :p

It's opposite Meritus Mandarin, on top of an elevated drain! It's where I took my video posted above! :lol:

From your stuff, posted, it's a damn good view! If i can't get a ticket next year and if the organisers somehow don't do anything about closing up free viewing spots... i might just go there. :D

Last edited:
Another 2 shots from the free spot! :D
DSC03115.jpg

DSC03095.jpg