2008 Spanish Formula 1 Grand Prix

Ok now assignments are out of the way I can turn my attention to something much more important...F1 analysis!!

Ferrari: Dominant performance by the team in red. Massa jumping Alonso at the start was the key as he wouldn't have made it past otherwise. Once that happened it was always going to be a Fezza 1-2 on pace. Commentators were saying they weren't as fast as they seemed....how would they know? The red cars were 1-2 the entire race, straight after all the safety cars they gapped the field by about 3 seconds and stayed there. They could have been running on 17,000rpm for all we know and probably were. Raikonnen smashed Massa though, qualifed on pole with more fuel than his team-mate and set fastest lap despite being in cruise control.

McLaren:
Were pretty even with the BMW's this weekend and it was only Lewis' traditional banzai first corner that let him on the podium. Drove the wheels off the car (although not as well Heikki badoom tish:p) and got a deserved podium finish. Bad accident for Heikki, glad he is ok. To me it looked like an exact copy of Lewis' accident at the Nurburgring last year only on the other side. Very bizarre. They should be a lot more concerned about BMW chasing them than catching Ferrari though.

BMW:
Pretty non-descript race. Kubica got beaten to the first corner thanks to clutch malfunction and around Barcelona he wasn't going to pass Lewis. Drove a mistake free race though and definitely has Heidfeld on the back foot. Bad luck for Heidfeld but he was having a poor weekend anyway. Will need to try and stop Kubica's charge soon.

Red Bull:
Another race, another driver saying Coulthard left a gap then closed it again, while Coulthard says people keep running into the back of him. Maybe if he was a bit faster they wouldn't be trying moves on him. Turning into a mobile chicane. Finally Mark Webber is getting the results he deserves!!!! My heart skipped a beat when I saw a Toyota rear-end a Red Bull as I thought it was Truilli and Webber (they were together at the time) but thankfully not. Go Mark!!

Renault:
Nelson chucked all the brownie points he earned in qualifying away by chucking it in the gravel trap then being too hasty trying to make his way up the field again. Rookie mistake but I don't think Flavio will be too pleased. Heartbreak for Alonso. Given his fuel load putting that Renault on the front row was one of the greatest drives we have seen in a while. Hopefully the improvement of Renault continues as he deserves to be at the front.

Honda:
Perhaps lucky to get points, also unlucky not to have two cars in the points. It seems the lollipop man needs to get the sack, although Jenson doesn't have any trouble. Good result for the team, but those dumbo ears and those uniforms ARGH!!!

Toyota:
Another solid race from Truilli, although their pace seemed to have slipped a bit. Another forgettable race from Glock.

Williams:
Decent drive from Nakajima. Kept out of trouble and drove quickly. Showed Rosberg the way this weekend. Look to have fallen behind in pace though which isn't surprising. They don't have the budget to keep apace of development with the big guns. Hopefully find some more speed though.

Force India:
Another poor race from Sutil, another good drive from Fisi. Looked like they might get a point there for a bit unfortunately not. Sutil needs to concentrate on getting a full race distance under his belt this year. Qualifying pace was very poor though, Q2 still seems a way off.

Toro Rosso:
Very solid weekend from Bourdais. He stuffed up his Q2 lap but that car looked a real handful. Shows that once he is familiar with the circuits he will be quite quick! Shame to get taken out of contention by an over-optimistic Piquet. Another poor weekend from Vettel, hopefully the new car will bring him some good fortune.

Super Aguri:
A brilliant performance from Sato. So close to getting points, shows how hard it is to pass at Barcelona with Heidfeld unable to get past despite being 3 seconds a lap faster. Doesn't look like they will have another race which is a great great shame. Sato's pass on Alonso in Canada will be remembered for a while.

Well we say goodbye to European circuits again for a while. Turkey with one of the best corners in the world next (Turn 8!!! They need to think of a more imaginative name!) then the confines of Monaco then one of my favourite circuits Canada, hopefully this years race is just as exciting. Oh and joke or not Ron's comments were totally inappropriate for a man of his stature and reeked of pettiness.

Last edited:
Nice analysis Necxo, I'd rep you if i could...