2008 SRT-10 Revealed (the 600bhp one!)

I'd never spend that much on a car unless is had goatskin seats, Baynon tree dash, anamantium knobs and switches, and wool carpets.

good for you

too bad you'll never experience the insane awsumness that is the :viper: (someone should get onto changing that smiley, its out of production=\)

good for you

too bad you'll never experience the insane awsumness that is the :viper: (someone should get onto changing that smiley, its out of production=\)
Somebody's sarcasm detector isn't working.

I had the chance to drive a 2006 Viper recently at a DCX "SRT Track Experience" event at Laguna Seca. Unfortunately, we were only allowed to autocross them as a driver, and then experience the track as a passenger (we did get to drive the track itself in the Charger, the 300 and the Crossfire SRT-6).

I honestly didn't think the interior was as bad as made out -- I think the fact that it's all the same color tends to make it look worse in photographs. The steering wheel, for example, might look clunky, but it very good in hand.

And having lots of torque is definitely nice. You could drive the entire autocross course in 2nd gear, from about 10mph up to near 80 -- and traction was really the limiter, not power.

To me, the absolute worst point about the Viper (aside from the very crowded footwell, at least for my size 12 feet, even in Pilotis) is the exhaust. Those sidepipe covers get hot. Hot enough that you feel it straightaway through your jeans. I'd hate to think of bare skin contact. And with the top up -- or in the coupe -- you are GOING to brush your leg alongside the exhaust unless you are very young and limber.

Aside from that, you could almost live with a Viper as a daily driver.

Steve

If i heard right, the new version has better insulated pipes, and also doesn't cross them under the cockpit, which just acted as a radiant-heat oven...

This will definatlely be the "Viper Killer". The February 2007 issue of Motor Trend (Same issue that features the new Viper on the cover) says that we will see the Corvette SS by 2008 and it will have a 600+hp supercharged V8.

I've bolded the key word in your post. Supercharge a Viper and you'll have eleventy billion horsepower. :)

They are only going to build about 2000 a year, and itll cost you around $100,000, but its way more sophisticated than the Viper considering the fact that the current Z06 has stability and traction control and I don't believe the new Viper has either. Plus the fact that the suspension in the Viper will be horrible and dreadfully uncomfortable, as in all Chrysler/Dodge vehicles. Plus the fact that itll all gor wrong and break down with 10,000 miles on the clock anyway. The Corvette SS will be built on the Z06 platform. Personally, I'd take the Z06 over the new Viper...the SS? No question.

See second quote in sig. The Viper lacks electronic assists on purpose, not due to lack of implementation.

Should be interesting to see how GM responds with the highest level Vette (SS or Blue Devil or whatever its called). Also i want Ford to make the Shelby GT1.

The Viper has never been a great car, its handling capbilities are poor, as is the over excessive power which results in wheel spin.
What's the point of having so much power when the car can't even put it to use on the track or road?