2008 STi Drive :) & Pics (56k at own risk)

Just a pipe dream. :) Lag would disappear, but Roman is right, the "whump whump whump" on a Subaru turbo engine would be gone. Funny how the distribution of exhaust gasses can give a car so much character.

Im not even talking about the loss of the unequal length headers boxer rumble, i just dont think its a practical arrangement for making power. A lot of subaru tuners have tossed around the idea of aftermarket twin turbo kids for the flat 4s before and when they tried to fabricate a kit, it raised the complexity, not very reliable and powerwise just not very good. Im pretty convinced twin turboing a flat 6 like the in Porsche 911s is the bottom limit.

yeah visually the whole thing looks visually elegant, esp if you dont know much about engineering, but so did concept cars that looked like wedge-shaped rocket ships with fins, yet fast cars designed now dont look like that because the engineering has proven otherwise.

Last edited:
the other night we were given a 2008 STi to drive for a little time ....

Nice review and great post! I love look of the new STi, more grown up than the racer boy ridiculous spoiler yet near identical performance. The nicer interior and fit and finish sounds very appealing as does the larger interior with more leg room front and back. Finally the utilitarian aspects of a hatchback puts this car on my short list for my next ride as I am much more likely to be commuting back and forth to work or running to The Home Depot than hitting a rally stage. I can hardly wait to see for myself and test drive it.

Damn you Subaru. Why must you build such hideous cars with such great chassis'? :lol: I'd gladly own one, it's practical and fast, but I don't think the looks will ever grow on me.

Thank you for the pictures you lucky lucky bastard :p

thanks for the errr..... kind words there SLR.. :lol: if anyone is interested in high resolution versions of the pics i posted let me know so i can host them...

Nice review and great post! I love look of the new STi, more grown up than the racer boy ridiculous spoiler yet near identical performance. The nicer interior and fit and finish sounds very appealing as does the larger interior with more leg room front and back. .

Personally i kind of like how its chased away a lot of the Sti sedan crowd, no offense to subaru owners here because youre all right, but the collective IQ levels of the North American Subaru club really started to plummet with the increasing popularity of the Sti sedans. with any luck they will move onto other brands and leave ppl with more discerning tastes with the 5 door hatches. Plus the wagon ppl have been denied their own Sti for years, so they deserve their time.

The front is just so ghastly...

OT question: What's the deal with the plate on the Audi in the background? It's just a bunch of zeros?

What Subaru should do is have two small turbos on each side, with true dual exhaust. That would be awesome.

Performance wise it would be best. And yes it would be awesome.

But some of the unique Subbie sound would be lost. Oh well...

Just a pipe dream. :) Lag would disappear, but Roman is right, the "whump whump whump" on a Subaru turbo engine would be gone. Funny how the distribution of exhaust gasses can give a car so much character.

if you did it so the pipes on each side had their own turbo, and then had the main duel pipes tuned for smaller diameters then STI people are used to, theirs good reason to believe the car could still sound very unique. Looking at it from a pure theoretical standpoint it should sound something more like 2 Harley Davidsons idling next to each-other, personally that sounds atleast as cool as a whomp whomp sound, although I'm no Subaru loyalist. If you for some reason wanted to loose all the offbeat Boxer sound then you would need to connect the front cylinders to each-other and ditto for the rear, I.E. connect cylinder 1 to 2, and 3 to 4

one big reason why most of the equal length headers sound like shit is because either the owners try to use overtly large main exhaust pipes (which DO NOT work well with equally firing engines) or the collectors diameter has changed from stock size.

Hope that helps fuel your thought :)

Petter Solberg was very adamant that Subaru uses a hatchback. You could say that he is the reason for this car.

Would love to hear reason why he wanted a hatch so bad, sounds kinda interesting.

Last edited:
I thought the new STI will not as good looking as the old one, but now I was wrong. I love it. But still I like Evo X better =)

I did a really crappy edit, but what do you think of red taillights?

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/06/subbiered.jpg

Me like! The red looks unbelievably better than the clears.

I thought the new STI will not as good looking as the old one, but now I was wrong. I love it. But still I like Evo X better =)

not to be rude, but is English your first language? or are you just drunk?

Eh? Come on man, you've been here long enough to know Ted's first language is Engrish. :p

But it's okay since I'm sure we all enjoy his pics of the C&C meets in Cali.

not to be rude, but is English your first language? or are you just drunk?

^ Out of curiosity, where are you originally from?

OT question: What's the deal with the plate on the Audi in the background? It's just a bunch of zeros?

in south australia we can put what ever number plate we want on the car, with in reason.... :p

you do know what the rear suspension on the new Imprezas come from, right?

hint: the current generation rear multi-link setup from the Legacys
And now I know I need to work on Legacies more.

I just noticed the other big change in the car: Framed windows! No more coming out to you car to find little coathanger marks where someone tried to pop the lock.

^ Okay, but you're not fooling nobody.

3f20-big.jpg
:p

That's the JDM car right? with the 8k redline?

I wonder how the evo X will stack up. I'll hope to get some impressions of both as soon as possible.

BTW, does anyone know a good Subaru dealer in Melbourne who'll get the STi ASAP?