2008 Top vehicle sales in the U.S

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
In a year when gas prices topped $4 a gallon and automakers ran to Congress seeking a $25 billion bailout, one would assume that low-margin, fuel-sipping small cars are far outselling big gas-guzzlers. Indeed, seven of the 10 best-selling vehicles so far this year are small cars or sedans that get high gas mileage.

But when gas prices go up and the economy heads south, "buyers shift ... from what they want to what they need," says Jeff Bartlett, deputy online editor of autos for Consumer Reports. And what many buyers still need are big pickup trucks, such as the Ford F-150 and Chevrolet Silverado--the two best-selling vehicles in America so far this year.

The F-150 attracted 473,933 buyers this year, making it the No. 1-selling vehicle for 2008--it's been the best-selling vehicle in America for 27 years running. Another 431,725 buyers drove off Chevrolet lots in a Silverado.

"The pickups are a solution to a need," says Bartlett, as those who buy the vehicles use them for their towing, off-road and cargo-hauling capabilities.

What Americans don't need, however, are gas-guzzlers that don't serve a purpose. Such is the case for the Nissan Armada, which rolls in at No. 5 among the worst-selling vehicles so far this year. Armada sales are off 49.1% this year compared to last year, with only 14,753 buyers purchasing the big and brawny SUV. It gets a combined 14 mpg.

The pickups don't do much better on fuel economy, but their utility equates to their enduring, strong sales. Buyers who have a choice between an SUV and a smaller car, however, want good fuel economy, according to a survey Consumer Reports conducted in the summer. That's why the Armada, Bartlett says, "is losing consumer appeal."

Behind the Numbers

To generate our lists of the best- and worst-selling cars so far this year, we used automaker-provided sales numbers from January to November. The vehicles with the highest unit sales made the list of best-sellers.

To find the worst-selling cars we looked at the lowest sales figures for the same time period, as well as the percentage decrease in sales from 2007 to exclude high-end luxury and performance cars that are produced only in small numbers each year. The vehicles with the lowest sales made the list.

As bad of a year as it's been for sales of the aforementioned Armada, it's not the worst-selling vehicle in 2008. That title goes to Hyundai Entourage minivan, with only 5,405 sold this year. Not far behind, at No. 4, is the Chrysler Pacifica, a cross between an SUV and a minivan that sold only 6,671 units so far this year, a drop of 87% from the same period a year ago. No turnaround is in the works, either--Chrysler announced at the beginning of the year that production has ceased on the Pacifica, Chrysler Crossfire and Dodge Magnum.

The problem with the Pacifica and other crossover vehicles like it is that consumers have not embraced them as the new family car, says David Thomas, senior editor at Cars.com. "Buyers just aren't buying them. None of them have done well."

Joining the Armada, Entourage and Pacifica in the top five worst-selling vehicles are the Mitsubishi Endeavor, with only 5,687 units sold through November, and the Hummer H2, with only 5,721 sold.

No SUV brand is immune from the sales slump. In the second half of the list of the worst-selling cars, all five--the Toyota FJ Cruiser, Jeep Commander, GMC Envoy, Dodge Durango and Hummer H3--are SUVs. Furthermore, all five have seen a staggering percentage drop in sales of around 50% from the same 11-month period in 2007.

The Bright Spots

While consumer interest in most SUVs has waned, many fuel-efficient small cars have seen very strong sales in 2008.

Buyers purchased 352,248 Honda Civics and 184,152 Ford Focus cars this year, ranking sixth and 10th on our list, respectively. The gas-powered Civic gets 29 mpg, but the sales numbers also include the even more efficient hybrid version, which gets a combined fuel economy of 42 mpg.

Joining the two trucks and the Civic in the top five best-selling vehicles so far this year are the Toyota Camry (411,342 sold) and Honda Accord (350,638 sold).

But while gas prices had an impact on the sales of some small cars and hybrid vehicles, they haven't had as big of an effect as the economic crisis and credit crunch, experts say. In other words, their sales should be much higher.

"We have seen the best deals in terms of rebates and incentives in the last four months, but we are not seeing auto sales go up," says Thomas. "The economic crisis is stopping people from buying cars."

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/782/the-years-bestand-worst-selling-cars

Top 10 Best Selling Vehicles in the US so far in 2008
1. Ford F-150
2. Chevy Silverado
3. Toyota Camry
4. Honda Civic
5. Honda Accord
6. Toyota Corolla + Matrix
7. Nissan Altima
8. Chevrolet Impala
9. Dodge Ram
10. Ford Focus

Top 10 WORST selling vehicles during 2008
1. Hyundai Entourage
2. Mitsubishi Endeavor
3. Hummer H2
4. Chrysler Pacifica (discontinued)
5. Nissan Armada
6. Hummer H3
7. Dodge Durango
8. GMC Envoy
9. Jeep Commander
10. Toyota FJ Cruiser

It always bugs me that they include F-150s, Silverados, Rams and the like on these lists. Yeah, a lot of them are sold to people as personal vehicles, but a lot more are sold as working or commercial fleet vehicles. It makes the list apples and oranges. Not too many contractors buy Accords. Do European sales charts put the Ford Transit on them?

I find it quite odd that the Ram is so far behind the F-150 and the Silverado though... I thought they were pretty much evenly matched in therms of sales, although I did take note of the fact that in Texas there were significantly more F-150s than anything else that is a pick-up... Perhaps this is the reason behind the desperate marketing campaigns that Dodge has been running for the Ram 1500 pick-up truck...

I've never even heard of the Entourage :lol:

Its a van considering that it only competition is the Grand Caravan I am surprised. If you compare the two head to head the Entourage wins hands down in drivability, comfort, and style. Then again I am sure that fleet sales eat up the bulk of the category.

Can only shake head in amusment over that list.
How can, this.
1. Ford F-150
2. Chevy Silverado
outsell.
3. Toyota Camry
4. Honda Civic
5. Honda Accord
6. Toyota Corolla + Matrix
And this.
7. Nissan Altima
beat
10. Ford Focus

1. Hyundai Entourage*
2. Mitsubishi Endeavor*
3. Hummer H2
4. Chrysler Pacifica (discontinued)*
5. Nissan Armada*
6. Hummer H3
7. Dodge Durango*
8. GMC Envoy*
9. Jeep Commander
10. Toyota FJ Cruiser

I could look them up but they don't seem worth my effort, these "*" are?????

If the top 2 cars are still domestic products, best selling cars in the US no matter what the climate must be a lot of vehicles.

1. Hyundai Entourage*
2. Mitsubishi Endeavor*
3. Hummer H2
4. Chrysler Pacifica (discontinued)*
5. Nissan Armada*
6. Hummer H3
7. Dodge Durango*
8. GMC Envoy*
9. Jeep Commander
10. Toyota FJ Cruiser

I could look them up but they don't seem worth my effort, these "*" are?????

1. Lupin already covered the Entourage. It's actually a pretty good minivan/MPV - only problem is that it's supposed to be an "executive" model, and that idea has never taken off in the US.

2008.mitsubishi.endeavor.20144388-396x249.jpg

Mitsu SUV, about the size of a Toyota 4Runner. Unfortunately instead of being a truck, it's really a Mitsubishi Galant Wagon with a suspension lift. It is underpowered for the weight and lacks many features that are "must haves" in the class.

2008.chrysler.pacifica.20131141-396x249.jpg

Imagine a Mercedes R-class. Only cheaper and bearing a Chrysler logo. Oh, and the Pacifica predates the R-Class by a LONG time. This crossover wagon is actually pretty good, it's just that nobody knows just what it's supposed to be... kind of like the R-class. It does ride on an old E-class platform, though. Unfortunately, nobody bought one and it's been discontinued.

But Mercedes stole the idea and made the R-class from it.

2008.nissan.armada.20118578-396x249.jpg
Nissan's answer to the Suburban and Expedition. They took the Titan full size truck and made an SUV out of it. It's actually a good vehicle, but the weird rear styling and some early brake problems (the Bosch brakes were defective, thanks Bosch!) screwed the reputation - and then gas prices went astronomical, so nobody wanted this. Not helped by the lack of marketing in the last two years, either.

2009.dodge.durango.20241199-396x249.jpg

Giant Detroit SUV indifferently assembled. Not as big as the Suburban, but costs about as much.

2008.gmc.envoy.20131686-396x249.jpg

If it looks like a Saab 9-7X, that's because the 9-7X IS an Envoy - with a new nose. Terrible seats, terrible road holding, abysmal gas mileage. Need I say any more?

It always bugs me that they include F-150s, Silverados, Rams and the like on these lists. Yeah, a lot of them are sold to people as personal vehicles, but a lot more are sold as working or commercial fleet vehicles. It makes the list apples and oranges. Not too many contractors buy Accords. Do European sales charts put the Ford Transit on them?
Well Australian charts include fleet sales, it's the only reason the Commodore is our top selling car (though it isn't even top on this chart from mid-2008):
Including fleet sales:
1. Toyota Corolla
2. Holden Commodore
3. Toyota HiLux
4. Mazda3
5. Ford Falcon
6. Toyota Yaris
7. Toyota Camry
8. Toyota Aurion
9. Honda Civic
10. Mitsubishi Lancer

Private only:
1. Toyota Corolla
2. Mazda3
3. Toyota Yaris
4. Honda Civic
5. Mazda2
6. Ford Focus
7. Holden Commodore
8. Mitsubishi Lancer
9. Suzuki Swift
10. Honda CR-V

Note the lack of Hilux in there, which is probably enough to assume the F150 wouldn't be in the top for private US sales. My googling skills failed in attempting to find a US version of this list, but the general point is proven.

The only reason the US Ford Focus sold so well was because it was so cheap and offered very good value for money... and pretty much all the rental fleets bought some.

The older Focus is 10. just think what the new one would do!

We will find out soon. Ford is bringing the 3rd gen to the US.

Also, because of it's marketing as a very green vehicle. One thing Ford has always done well, is emissions. In the US, they've been marketing the focus with ads that say things like "a drive across the US puts out as much pollution as using your lawnmower for an hour" or something along those lines. I know two people who bought Foci over Civics for that reason alone...as much as I tried to talk them out of it. :?

That's not the current US Focus.

This is.
new_08-ford-focus007-600.jpg

It's the now outdated Mk 1 Focus with new skin and interior. And it's made by the UAW. So, yeah, compared to the competition, it's crap.

Your guess is as good as mine. I don't understand alot of Fords decisions.