Ownership Verified: 2008 VW R32 (MkV)

pics pics pics pics!

Don't forget your proof pic :)

Great choice. I adventure to the Tail of the Dragon with a group of R32s and Golf Rs yearly. This year we have over 200 of VW's R Golfs. You'll love that car.

Hope you're doing the flapper mod immediately!

Hope you're doing the flapper mod immediately!

Please enlighten me, what is the flapper mod? I likely will be keeping this car bone stock, as it is in flawless condition with only 13k miles on it. But I'm not entirely opposed if this flapper mod is worthwhile

Please enlighten me, what is the flapper mod?

There is a valve in the exhaust that stays closed until you hit a certain speed (30mph?) or RPM(3k?) to keep the engine quieter when tooling around town. When closed, the exhaust gas only comes out of one tail pipes. You will notice that one of the exhaust tips will get more covered in soot than the other. You can pinch off a vacuum tube to trick the system into having the valve open all the time. I still haven't done it, but it is supposed to make the car a little louder at low RPM/speed with the stock exhaust. There are a lot of different ways of closing off the vacuum line that controls the exhaust valve.

it is in flawless condition with only 13k miles on it

Wow, that must have sat in somebody's garage or something. That is crazy low mileage. Mine is a daily driver and I'm almost at 70k. Enjoy the car, man. It still puts a smile on my face regularly after 6 years. Hope your gas mileage isn't as bad as mine :p

Nice car, I love the sound of those VR engines! If only VW made it slightly less overweight.

I've got the larger VR6 in my Passat and I just love it. Yours must be even better with AWD and the lighter weight.

This is the first time I've ever heard someone use the adjective 'light' to describe a MkV R32...

Last edited:
Congrats on the new car. Had a silver -07 and loved it. Especially the sound from the exhaust and the 4wd is awesome in the winter.

The GTI always took first place when it came to driver fun. As noted, the R32 feels its weight. Always thought it felt more like an Audi A6 than a quick Golf.

But it's cool, I'll give it that.

thanks everyone! I've been really happy with it so far. Yeah, it's definitely a little heavy for a hatch, but it doesn't really feel it, especially with the grippy summer tyres I have on it right now (I'll find the model, I think they're Michelins of some sort). I'm curious to see how the 4Motion AWD feels compared to the Haldex in my old S60R, and the handful of Quatto'd Audis I've driven. The Quattro system is way way better than the Haldex system imho.

Anyway, proof pic and some more recent ones to come sometime soon, promise. It's been a hell of a busy week

I'm curious to see how the 4Motion AWD feels compared to the Haldex in my old S60R, and the handful of Quatto'd Audis I've driven. The Quattro system is way way better than the Haldex system imho.
4Motion is still Haldex :unsure:
Or are you talking about generation differences?

4Motion is still Haldex :unsure:
Or are you talking about generation differences?

Apologies, generational differences. You could totally feel the AWD system in my old S60R working, and moving power around, whereas in the few Quattro Audis I've driven they've been really smooth in moving power around (and much faster to respond to those types of situations as well).