2009 Abu Dhabi Formula 1 Grand Prix

Devon

Car(s)
2008 MY09 Subaru Impreza RX
I think most of us have no real interest in the Gran Prix at Abu Dhabi, but if you want to discuss it I think it should have it's on thread...

Post away.

Yas Marina Circuit
Race Date: 01 Nov 2009
Number of Laps: 55
Circuit Length: 5.554 km
Race Distance: 305.470 km

Yas Island is the site of a US$40 billion development project by Aldar Properties. It occupies a total land area of 2,500 hectares, of which 1,700 hectares will be claimed for development. The island will feature attractions such as a motor sports racetrack which will be used to host the Formula One Abu Dhabi Grand Prix from 2009 onwards, a movie theme park by Warner Bros called Warner Bros Movie World, hotels, the Ferrari theme park, water park, and the Abu Dhabi destination retail development of 300,000 sq m retail area, links and parkland golf courses, lagoon hotels, marinas, polo clubs, apartments, villas and food and beverage outlets that will create a tourist destination.

Circuit_Yas-Island.svg

http://maps.google.be/maps?hl=en&so...79337,54.600334&spn=0.052025,0.07699&t=h&z=14

Designed as an Arabian version of Monaco, the twenty-one corners will twist through the man made island, passing the marina and Yas Hotel designed by New York based architects Asymptote, and winding its way through sand dunes, with several long straights and tight corners. The circuit has four planned grandstand areas (Main Grandstand, West Grandstand, North Grandstand and South Grandstand) and will have part of its pit lane exit run underneath the track. It will also house a team building behind the pit building, Media Center, Dragster Track, VIP Tower, Ferrari Building. Additionally, one of the gravel traps will run underneath the West grandstand. The pit exit of circuit will also run under the actual track through a tunnel. Also, part of the track will run through one of the on site hotels.

The circuit has a few potential overtaking spots. The pit straight down to turn 1 is good for a KERS car. From turns 2, 3, 4 down to 5 will be a good place as a car which has good speed out of Turn 4 could get beside a fellow driver and outbrake them. After turn 7 the longest straight on the Formula One calendar is ended with a heavy braking chicane at turn 8. Finally the long curve down to turn 11 as the potential for overtaking especially for a KERS car.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikvjwBEYk50[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVtiLqjLdCs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Sorry was too busy this week to make a thread.

Got a question, why don't they run the race at night? I didn't know they set up flood lights.

Sorry was too busy this week to make a thread.

Got a question, why don't they run the race at night? I didn't know they set up flood lights.

From my understanding it is a light to dark race. Starting before dusk and finishing under the lights. Should be hell on the drivers.

I'll watch it if you guys will.

I will, just gotta decide on how to watch.

German TV? Live, ok quality, medium commentary, ad breaks.
Live BBC? Live, shitty quality, good commentary, no ads.
iPlayer? Not live, good quality, good commentary, no ads.

Life sucks. :blink:

Concerning the lighting, race and quali start at 5pm local time, sunset is happening at about 5:45. Considering the short duration of dusk, it should be properly dark near the end of the race :mrgreen:

The problem with this track is the same is with Valencia. Even if they have room to slipstream and overtake, they won't be able to because it's a new circuit and there's a ton of dust off line.

There is a huge straight on this track, but don't expect big things in terms of overtaking...

As I said before, I'm really looking forward to this race, even if it's just for the duskness of it. But mostly because I haven't really been concentrating on the championship all season, so not having one now doesn't really make a difference. The Ferrari vs McLaren fight is still very much alive...

On top of R?ikk?nen vs Hamilton or Ferrari vs McLaren there's also Barichello vs Vettel to look forward to :)

I'll definitely be watching it.

As dull and nondescript as the circuit is, I'll be watching - it's still an F1 race after all. But I'm not expecting much.

I'll watch it if I can, so long as if I have the time and haven't been procrastinating too much.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think the passenger seat in the two seater in those videos is hilarious? With the idea being to give someone else the experience of an F1 car, they've gone and stuck up a barrier inches away from their face to completely block any view. It's like having a penthouse suite with great views all around, then building a high safety wall all around it to block those views.

If it will have just 1 crash and 1 overtaking, I'll call it better than Valencia.

And the layout ( in rFactor atleast ) is very flowing and there actually is a couple of good overtaking places for an F1 car..

And the layout ( in rFactor atleast ) is very flowing and there actually is a couple of good overtaking places for an F1 car..

Yeah, in rFactor, where the entire width of the track provides equal grip. From the videos of Brundle, DC and Senna lapping this track in the two-seaters, it looks as if you can't go off the racing line because of HUGE amounts of dust.

HUGE amounts of dust.

At least we can hope that the dust situation will improve over the race weekend. I prefer a good track layout (did not look at the layout of Abu Dhabi yet, just a general statement ;)) with variable cleanness over a bad track with clean room properties.

Can't believe it's the last race of 2009 already :cry:

I think most of us have no real interest in the Gran Prix at Abu Dhabi, but if you want to discuss it I think it should have it's on thread...

Post away.

I think anyone who really has an interest in the sport and not just in OMG WORLD CHAMPION will want to watch this race as well. I surely will.

@narf: You call german TV/RTL/Heiko "Deutschland ?ber alles" Wa?er "medium" quality commentary? Heiko Wa?er is the worst thing that has ever happened to sports journalism. :)