2009 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Holy schmokes!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74008

Toyota duo excluded from qualifying

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, March 28th 2009, 10:45 GMT

Timo Glock, Toyota, Australian GP practiceTimo Glock and Jarno Trulli have been stripped of their grid positions for the Australian Grand Prix for a flexible wing infringement.

Glock had qualified sixth on the grid, with Jarno Trulli two places further behind, for their Toyota team at Albert Park.

However, following post-qualifying technical inspections by the FIA, it was found that the team's rear wing elements were in breach of the rules.

A statement issued by the FIA said: "The Stewards have received a report from the Technical Delegate that the upper rear wing elements of cars No. 9 and 10 are showing extreme flexibility in contravention of Article 3.15 of the 2009 Formula One Technical Regulations.

"The Stewards have heard the explanation from a representative of Panasonic Toyota Racing and have examined the cars in question.

"The Stewards concur with the opinion of the Technical Delegate and find the cars contravene the requirements of Article 3.15 of the 2009 Formula One Technical Regulations.

"It is the Stewards decision that cars number 9 and 10 be excluded from the Qualifying Session Official Classification."

Article 3.15 of the technical regulations states that wings must not have 'any degree of freedom' and 'remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.'

The results mean that Trulli and Glock will start the race from the back of the grid.

Oh god, and the season hadn't properly started yet.

EDIT: So who starts in 20th? Lewis or the Toyotas?

Last edited:
Who ever got the penalty last so I think Toyota. Well done To the grid I think Kubica can win this or get a podium.

Great quali, finally some proper racing action all the way through. I think all the teams were using softer compound even in Q1.

What has happened to McMerc?

I heard some "not Lewis fans" saying all through the winter that Mclaren will be introuble as Lewis cannot develope a car. Last year was basically a carr tha Alonso created, it was only slightly evolving throught the year. This year, with the new car Lewis was reportedly doing a shit job... Dunno, at the time I just put it down to the usual "Hamilton is shite" talk.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21310.html

MARCH 28, 2009
The FIA announces the weights of the F1 cars

The FIA has announced the weights of the various cars after the qualifying in Australia and it is interesting to see that the top 10 have not really gambled much on fuel. Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello weighed in at 664kg and 666kg, while Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull was carrying 657kg and Robert Kubica's BMW has 650kg. Nico Rosberg's Williams had 657kg and Felipe Massa's Ferrari was at 654kg and Kimi Raikkonen at 655kg. Mark Webber was heavier at 662. The two Toyotas, which must start from the back, weighed in at 670 (Glock) and 655 (Trulli).

The rest of the field had rather bigger loads with Nick Heidfeld at 691, Fernando Alonso at 680, Heikki Kovalainen (690), Nelson Piquet (694) and Giancarlo Fisichella (689). Kazuki Nakajima was much lighter at 612kg, the Williams team hoping for an early Safety Car to help him make up the poor qualifying position. Lewis Hamilton weighed in at 655 with Sebastien Buemi at 675, Adrian Sutil at 684 and Sebastien Bourdais at 662.

So out of the top ten, Webber and the Brawns are the heaviest. Just puts into perspective their ACTUAL pace...

It's just a matter of which Brawn driver will win.

1. Lewis Hamilton 655
2. Heiki Kovalainen 690,6
3. Felipe Massa 654
4. Kimi Raikkonen 655,5
5. Robert Kubica 650
6. Nick Heidfeld 691
7. Fernando Alonso 680,7
8. Nelson Piquet 694,1
9. Jarno Trulli 660
10. Timo Glock 670
11. Sebastien Bourdais 662,5
12. Sebastien Buemi 675,6
14. Mark Webber 662
15. Sebastian Vettel 657
16. Nico Rosberg 657
17. Kazuki Nakajima 612,5
20. Adrian Sutil 684,5
21. Giancarlo Fisichella 689
22. Jenson Button 664
23. Rubens Barrichello 666,5

I found that on planet-f1 forum. No source though... so I have no idea if its official.

Not very good for Kubica if it is.

@edit: I was too late ;)

Last edited:
That's pretty phenomenal that the 2 heaviest in the top 10 are the top 2 cars. I'll be cheering Mark Webber first and foremost tomorrow, but hoping the Brawn cars can follow through on a great start to the season so far.

Branson is also looking like the marketing genius he's proven himself to be time and time again. Pop in for maximum publicity to announce sponsorship, then have 'his' 2 cars place at the front of the pack for the race. He must have got a cheap deal on the whole affair and it's already paying off in spades. It'll be interesting to see how the livery changes for the next race.

So can everyone who isn't in the top ten still change their fuel loads or not?

That can't be right? 7,5 kg's of fuel? Isn't that 3-4 laps, tops?

I guess he was carrying fuel for 2-3 laps during Q2 just like everyone else to get fastest time possible. Since he failed and is outside top 10 he will be able to refuel.

...and the protests go on http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74012
This time Williams is protesting against Ferrari and Red Bull.

Whoa what the :lol: man see what happens when I step away from my computer for a few hours! Toyota penalised and the protestee bites back. I don't think I'm going to sleep well tonight!

interesting to see the weights of the cars too. Webber may do ok yet...!

I thought the Brawn cars would be more red and white with Virgin on board. Maybe they will have a new paint sceme by next race?

Gotta wonder what the Honda guys are thinking right now! LOL! DOH!!!