2009 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Yeah i had that thought as well. I think a big advantage to the Brawn GP cars is that they're not loaded down with sponsor's stickers, lol.

its not like honda was able to really find sponsors themselves last year :p

Oh and Vettel and Kubica are both pigheaded, but you really couldn't blame one over the other: Kubica should have given Vettel more room, but Vettel could have backed of earlier aswell! But when Kubica turned in Vettel had nothing to do, because he was already on full lock and just under-steered straight into the Pole.

They were saying that incident was 50:50 but I think that is being hard on Vettel .. he had nowehere to go and Kubica turned in on him quite sharply. Kubica's response (excuse), that he was faster and Vettel should have let him through also doesn't hold water .. it's a sporting competition, you don't just roll over and let a competitor beat you and you shouldn't expect it from others.

What an excellent race! Always liked Jenson Button, even when he had that heap of a Honda to drive. Ferrari and McLaren were rubbish. RBR, BMW and Brawn are the new people to beat.
I believe that it's time for a new av and sig combo. Just noticed that the latter is not original. arse.

They were saying that incident was 50:50 but I think that is being hard on Vettel .. he had nowehere to go and Kubica turned in on him quite sharply. Kubica's response (excuse), that he was faster and Vettel should have let him through also doesn't hold water .. it's a sporting competition, you don't just roll over and let a competitor beat you and you shouldn't expect it from others.

Remember the ridiculous penalty from last year (cant remember the participants), because someone's nose was in front of the other he had the right of way.

I know this was a competition, if it hadn't been they would have both backed off and had a nice stroll, I'm just saying you cant put the blame solely on one or the other!

Well done to Force India: Sutil 10th and Fisichella 12th, not bad.
With the pace they had been showing all weekend and some of the forerunners erm... not making it to the finish, they might have even dreamed about points

Last edited:
I'm really very happy for Jenson, he totally deserved this. That team generally, considering what they've gone through and how they've came out.. no amount of kudos in this world could suffice! SO fucking happy for them. Brawn is a genius to be reckoned with.

Also, kudos for Hamilton for sticking it in 4th from 18th! ..And more to Trulli to put it in 3rd from the pitlane!!

I think the whole Kubica/Vettel debacle was mostly Kubica's fault.. but they both showed their inexperience there.

This season is going to be mad.

I think Vettel defended a bit too agressively at that point, he must have known that he had no real chance to keep Kubica behind on those tyres. That said, Kubica has only himself to blame for being inpatient and putting himself into that position. He was so much faster than Vettel he could have waited a corner or two or at the very least given him some more room at that point.

1. Vettel hit rear wheel of Kubicas car, which means Kubica was in front.
2. Vettel apologized after the accident which suggests he feels quite guilty.
3. Kubica had 3 laps to go and 2 seconds to Button, he could chase him, then its obvious he didnt want to wait.
4. Kubica just said on Polish TV that Vettel started braking much too early and probably accelerated a bit when he noticed that.

Lets see what Vettel says.

I think it was just a racing accident. Too bad it happened to drivers I support ;(

LMAO, Branson looking like Hugh Hefner with his women flanking him

its not like honda was able to really find sponsors themselves last year :p
Ohhhh yeah, lol. Forgot that.

Well done to Force India: Sutil 10th and Fisichella 12th, not bad.
Yeah i was rather impressed with their performance. Prior to the race i was expecting them to be the new Super Aguri. I hope they can improve on their pace as the season continues.

I was all for Bobby getting around Vettel, but that was just ridiculous. He needn't have been so eager to get the job done when he still had so much time left to do so. Still it was kinda BA when he snapped off Vettel's front wing and went speeding off, til he spiraled into the wall. :D

Richard Branson must be pleased - well done to Jensen Button though, a brilliant drive - and Hamilton who did his best in an uncompetitive car, though the fact that so many in front of him crashed must of helped!

Strange DNF for Piquet.

he had trouble with his brakes during the safety car, probably to cold, and he lost the car when tried to brake hard...

amazing race from button, and really good result for hamilton, trulli and glock..
kubica and vettel until that incident where really good to... ferrari with bad strategy and problems... rubens have a strange start, he said that he have trouble with the gear at the start, and then that incident at the first turn, but he keep going with the damaged car and was a lucky at the end, anyway, great and well deserved 1-2 for brawn, really fantastic...

ya Ferrari's strategy with Massa did not make a least bit of sense to me...

That was one hell of a start of a new season.

Button - Yeah! Good to see that at last he has a great car and he can show how good he is.

Barrichello - At the beginning he run into Webber, Heidfeld and Kovalainen, then he run into Kimi. Then he had luck.

Kubica and Vettel - WTF WAS THAT?!?! Shame of both of them.

Trulli and Glock - Toyota should fight for a win but nevertheless good race for them.

Hamilton - Bad luck, bad car and decent driving. Even when I don't like him much I must admit he is very good driver. I think it will be for him similar season as last one was for Alonso if MCL will not improve.

Rosberg - Who know what happened to him at the end? I thought he will fight for a podium finish.

Ferrari - :( Nothing more to say.

Piquet - I wonder when Renault realise they should fire him.

Ross Brawn - What he did was just great. Yeah!!!!

And now someone in Honda in Japan just committed seppuku. "We have great car and we'll give you money if you take it."

don't know what ferrari was up to - whatever it was it didn't work

Wow I'm fucking speechless. That race was just... fantastically awesome in so many ways!

A big, big congratulations to Ross Brawn and Button and Barrichello! I am truly happy for them, it is so well deserved and I really really enjoyed seeing them on the podium and during the press conference. I love the new screens where the drivers watch what went on during the race and they then comment on it. I loved what Barrichello said about "so people who are saying our car is tough because of the diffuser... it's not! it's really tough, i got hit so many times but i still made it to 2nd" (or something to that effect).

Big congrats to Trulli too, especially after what happened yesterday. Guess it was a blessing in disguise to start from the pit lane cos he missed all the drama at the first turn.

Vettel & Kubica clashing at the end was just ohmygod crazy. I thought that was the end of them when their wings fell off, but then at the next turn both of them crashing into the walls at almost the same time just made my jaw drop. I was like "Oh my god, can this weekend get any crazier?!" Seeing Vettel lumbering around the track on 3 wheels, my respect for him skyrocketed immensely. I mean, I don't really know what he was trying to do, my guess was that he was trying to get back into the pits, but man, just seeing him pushing on with 3 wheels was just crazy. Sad sad ending for them both though, they both could have been in 2nd and 3rd. But hey, we got some really great action, so we can't complain.

Sigh sigh sigh Ferrari. Kimi's day just didn't go well, did it? To be honest I wasn't expecting much after he qualified on P9 yesterday, especially after seeing the pace and speed of the other cars around him. But I really wasn't expecting last (16th), I thought it was going to be something like 10th at the worst. Guess I was wrong. But what happened at the ending stages? He never seemed to get past 15th spot, and our commentators here was saying that he had maybe damaged his steering or something? It's a bit of mystery to me. Pity about Massa's car, I wonder what went wrong. Ferrari seem to be having some crazy reliability issues. It's a bit scary, because they were doing quite well in testing, then at practice sessions they weren't exactly hot, but it was still in the fighting. And then during the race it just exploded and they ended up bottom. :\ Seriously, what's going on?

Argghhhh for Kovalainen, out after the first lap. It was a real shame, i thought he was doing reasonably okay-ish in practice. The car wasn't that good, but he was really pushing and I wanted to see him at least finish the race. Hamilton, guess it was a bit of a good thing he started from the back? He was mainly quite silent and unseen during the race though, seeing as it was dominated by all the people in front.

I think Buemi did really well for a rookie in his first race in formula one. He was ready to dice with the big boys and wasn't afraid to take certain risks. Definitely glad that he got one point for all the work that he did. :)

Melbourne had good weather today, but what if it had rained? Button was saying that the visibility was really bad, especially in some hard corners. Imagine if it had poured with the dark overcast skies. I wonder how that race would've turned out.

Nevertheless, it was a fantastic race to start the new season. We all here kinda knew 2009 was going to be fun with all the changes in rules and cars, but I'm not sure any of us were expecting this for a first race. I was truly impressed and I can't wait for the rest of the season.

Some boys are going to be celebrating, some are going to be gloomy, some are going to have some emergency team meetings of some sort - I can't wait to see what Sepang throws up. Can't believe it's only next week!

Oh yeah....

I'm surprised that hardly anyone mentioned this, but it was very cool when I heard the intro was still The Chain :)