2009 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Cellos, Let's not start this again. If you can't admit he drove a great race it's cause you don't want to. It's no coincidence that the Ferrari's, Kubica and Vettel DNF'd. They didn't drive as well as Lewis did, cause they DNF'd (except Massa, Ferrari's fault).

I don't even feel like arguing, cause I know all you want to hear is "Ferrari did better than anyone else". Even if they were last and second to last.

no ones mentioned KERS.... didnt see it doing a whole lot to be honest... i think the most i saw it do was make hamiltons engine climb through the revs/gears just that little bit quicker, but the overall effect is very underwhelming. i mean when you have 700 odd bhp whats another 70 or so? though it did seem to help ferrari at the start.

Honestly though... I think this may be the greatest news report to come out of this race...

BMW certain Vettel crash cost Kubica win

baaaaaahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahha

What are they going to have on next? Mclaren is certain that Hamilton overtaking Trulli under the Safety Car then Trulli re overtaking under the safety car cost Hamilton the win.:rolleyes:

Hamilton's 3rd place seemed to come down more to fate and luck than anything else. The unpredictable nature of Formula 1 makes it difficult to say who's going to go where. The Vettle/Kubica brain fade is a good example that. both trying to catch up with Button so much that they were unwilling to give in to each other.
I found myself thinking earlier after reading a earlier post about which team to support and even now i find it difficult to zero in on a particular team. Mostly i just watch Formula 1 for the racing and driving skill, i have no blind faith to a team since i find that attention shifts to that specific team. All i hope for during a Grand Prix is for a good race and some spectacular driving.

Errr...Hamilton's 3rd place was a result of so many different events falling into place entirely perfectly it was like an unwrapped gift.

Is it just me or does Formula 1 feel like a complete joke right now? (unrelated to Hamilton finishing 3rd)

kinda does... i mean there was some good racing today, and some good overtaking, but not any more than i remember last year. plus some of it is just "manufactured" i mean we had to the toyotas starting dead last (and its not a slow car) plus hamilton at the back too. add to that the big difference in tyres and most of the close action was down to just those two factors. i didnt see KERS doing much and no one was able to comment on whether or not the aero changes actually work (as martain pointed out in the commentry)

Hamilton had some luck in front of him that helped him kudos to him, but by no means was it an amazing drive. Honestly though Kubica was faster at the end than both Vettle and Button so BMW should be upset, but it's racing we'll get them at Sepang.

I don't even feel like arguing, cause I know all you want to hear is "Ferrari did better than anyone else". Even if they were last and second to last.

No. Ferrari as a team did pretty crap IMO, the pit strategy made no sense to me. Massa put out a solid effort overall then his car died, Kimi did as well but he got clipped a few times causing damage to his car then later DNF'd. However, they in no way performed the way Button, Barrichello, Vettel, and Kubica (before they're incident) did. To say Hamilton drove better than them is such a crock.

Last edited:
And of course your so McLaren biased that you actually missed what happened to the Ferraris prior to their DNFs. Also you apparently missed what I had said.

OK, maybe you want a recap because I remember the race:

Lap 31: Massa is 3rd and pits (his second pit stop)
Lap 32: He rejoined in 14th
Lap 34: Sutil pits promoting Massa to 13th place
Lap 42: He is still 13th, after 10 laps he managed to overtake NOBODY.
Lap 45, Hamilton pitted and rejoins in 10th, Massa is in 11th.
Lap 46: Massa out

So massa lost alot of time coz he just couldnt over take cars in front of him which Hamilton did very nicely throughout the race. So you say I missed something, point it out!

man, finally watch it.. don't really want to go through everyones comments, but:

hamilton did great!! I think watching his use of KERS was most effective compared to the ferraris.. it just boosts his already good overtaking skills.. if only he didn't seem such a ---k.

If you want to be cool be like Jenson button! wow, great form all race despite that stop.. and they way he wanted to share his experience with rubens and the team.. they are the nicest team, well deserving.

vettel v. kubica - hmm.. I think it was a racing incident, I mean they were racing hard, they both did what they wanted, and equal right to do it, it just happened to be at a tricky corner for overtaking... I think Kubica was the one who could have dictated the outcome however.. but he had a job to do to try to win.. so... good racing.

kimi! gutted.. i loved how martin didnt catch what happened, that kimi smashed then had to pit.. his strategy was the same as kubicas and he would have been within .4 seconds with him... they could have finished 2-3, Button- Kubica - Kimi.. my dream podium!!! slips away with a loose rear end..

thank god malaysia is just next week...

He just didn't screw up like everyone else. Good drivers don't screw up.

And he was quick. Good drivers are quick.

He was consistent and didn't have any of his typical brain fades (also luck always helps, of course). But if you take a look at the fastest laps, he wasn't that quick

N. ROSBERG 1:27.706
R. KUBICA 1:27.988
J. BUTTON 1:28.020
S. VETTEL 1:28.140
N. HEIDFELD 1:28.283
T. GLOCK 1:28.416
K. RAIKKONEN 1:28.488
M. WEBBER 1:28.508
F. ALONSO 1:28.712
J. TRULLI 1:28.916
A. SUTIL 1:28.943
G. FISICHELLA 1:29.005
L. HAMILTON 1:29.020
R. BARRICHELLO 1:29.066
F. MASSA 1:29.141
S. BUEMI 1:29.230
S. BOURDAIS 1:29.823
K. NAKAJIMA 1:29.923
N. PIQUET 1:30.502

Rosberg, for instance, was very quick but thanks to the crappy tyres BG supplies, his last stint was a disaster.

Talking about tyres, why the FIA is (supposely) so concerned about safety and then they make BG ship some crappy tyres to every GP when that is only going to provoke more accidents...

Exactly. I fail to see how his performance proves that he is a "brilliant" driver. He's good but the pieces fell into place for him in order to get third. Both Ferrari's DNF'd, Kubica and Vettel DNF'd, etc.

A good performance means that cars were overtaken, the car wasn't planted into a wall, and he didn't come together with another driver while performing overtaking moves.

Which is a lot more than you can say for Kimi, Vettel or Kubica. These guys didn't DNF by some random act of God, it was their own fault.

Hamilton did what he had to do, and he benefited from other people's mistakes.

Massa is the only driver I can give you credit whose result was out of his hand.

Vettel, and Kubica (before they're incident) did. To say Hamilton drove better than them is such a crock.

To finish first, you must first finish.

Last edited:
Congrats to button, great to see him win.
Good drive by hamilton

Ferrari :lmao::roflmao:

vettel v. kubica - hmm.. I think it was a racing incident, I mean they were racing hard, they both did what they wanted, and equal right to do it, it just happened to be at a tricky corner for overtaking... I think Kubica was the one who could have dictated the outcome however.. but he had a job to do to try to win.. so... good racing.

I looks to me that Kubica, who I believe to be a good driver, simply made a bad call. Indeed, he had a right to make a go for 2nd, but I think he just misjudged the situation. par for the course.

Also, not that he was given a whole lot of choice, but Vettel was very much in the right to defend his spot and I don't understand why people believe he should have done so for the sole reason that Kubica made a go for it.

"you saw him try to take your thing, you should have just let him" is what I keep hearing.:blink:

"you saw him try to take your thing, you should have just let him" is what I keep hearing.:blink:

If you let him you'll live but in our case Vettel didnt and they just shot each other.

Last edited:
Fantastic result.
I certainly got the feeling Button had plenty of pace to spare in his first two stints and he was just pacing himself but the long last pit-stop and safety cars gave Kubica at least a sniff, but overall I would say the Brawn is still considerably faster.
Brilliant driving from Hamilton. People who claim it was luck should look at the 8 cars who started ahead of him, yet finished behind him, despite many being in supposedly faster cars.
I have no issue with Trulli's penalty. If he had done the same thing during a safety car in the middle of the race, he would have got a drive-through penalty, so his penalty put him exactly where the proper punishment would have done.
Vettel's grid drop is stupid, it was a 50/50 accident and nothing more. Clearly his $50,000 fine is richly deserved.
The aerodynamics and KERS seem to actually work. The cars seemed to be much more able to follow closely and overtaking was plentiful.

Last edited:
Couple of things mentioned on the American broadcast:
1. Bridgestone said they brought mediocre ultra softs intentionally. They claim they didn't want to make it too easy on the teams, so they compromised the tire they brought to Australia.
2. Richard Branson said they took the sponsorship opportunity because they like to be the under-dog. He wasn't expecting the team to perform this quickly.
3. Something else that I've forgotten in two minutes.

Reactions:
1. Fuck Bridgestone! The FIA did such a hack job on Michelin that no other manufacturer will want to come into F1, but they need to have tire wars again. To admittedly bring a tire as crappy as those ultra softs to a race is just insane. Those tires literally caused an accident that altered the podium. Great idea Bridgestone, great!
2. lol

Grats to Lewis on using an appeal to get a podium. Bet that feels great! Well done race on his part, but I doubt he would have been anywhere near that successful without the new SC rules. WTF Ferrari?! And I'm glad to see such a new grid. It's going to be fun to watch McMerc and Ferrari try to come back from this, especially in lieu of the testing bans.

If you let him you'll live but in our case Vettel didnt and they just shot each other.

agreed in that you defend to the best of your abilities. sometimes it works, sometimes you lose more than you went in for.

In this case, the way I see it, Vettel didn't have a whole lot of choice in the matter.

If we're discussing who's fault it is, my opinion is that it was Kubicas (and again, I don't think he did anything dramatically stupid or unusual). I can see the arguments for 50/50 blame as well, but to penalize just Vettel leaves me gobsmacked.