2009 Bahrain Formula 1 Grand Prix

teletubby-warrior

Da Superfan
Welcome to the completely un-official Bahrain GP thread. The race weekend doesn't start until April 24th, but I was just so excited... you'll have to forgive me.

2009 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

Race Date: 26 Apr 2009
Number of Laps: 57
Circuit Length: 5.412 km
Race Distance: 308.238 km
Lap Record: 1:30.252 - M Schumacher (2004)

http://img9.imageshack.**/img9/959/bahrain02b.jpg

1) Who will take pole and who will win the race?
2) Will Ferrari and Massa be able gain ground and dominate here as they've done in years past?
3) Will sandstorms/dogs/large venomous lizards threaten the race?
4) Who will be leading the Driver's Championship after this round?
5) What would you do for a Klondike bar?

Let the discussion begin!

This isn't so hard, Devon! :p

:lmao: Fantastic.

I think the recent sightings of large venomous lizards could pose a threat to some teams, especially those that aren't so fast down the straights. However, this probably won't pose a problem to the Finn's, as one will have crashed by the second lap and one will have retired to his trailer before the end.

https://pic.armedcats.net/g/gm/gman333xferrari/2009/04/08/340x.jpg

1) Who will take pole and who will win the race?

Button, Button.

2) Will Ferrari and Massa be able gain ground and dominate here as they've done in years past?
They'll gain ground, but I'm not sure they'll dominate.

3) Will sandstorms/dogs/large venomous lizards threaten the race?
Definitely, don't be surprised if you see that dog Bernie.

4) Who will be leading the Driver's Championship after this round?

Button, but Brawn GP's lead will be narrower.

5) What would you do for a Klondike bar?
Anything you want, sugar. :wicked:

Last edited:
This thread is way too early, how can we discuss the future race thats so far away? I cant even answer the questions, I have to see what happens in China first. Who knows what the situation with diffusers will be... I dont care who makes the thread, but at least do it at the right time otherwise we'll get alot of irrelevant staff.

2Gman333-X-ferrari, how can you say Button's lead will be narrower when you also say he will win the race. He can only increase it...

Last edited:
2Gman333-X-ferrari, how can you say Button's lead will be narrower when you also say he will win the race. He can only increase it...

What I meant to say was that Brawn GP's lead will be narrower, but Button will lead the Driver's Championship.

Poor Xeon SX getting the sack

I was wondering, why are those places in the red box 'critical'? Are they good for overtaking or something?

^ Getting ahead of yourself?

We haven't even been to China yet! :lol:

As for what's going to go on in Bahrain, I'm pretty sure that the running order will be determined by what goes on at the diffuser hearing next week. Even though I can bet that the "diffuser three" will get the ICA's seal of approval.

At this rate we will be concluding the 2009 f1 season by the end of april

QFT :cool:

But hey, higher authorities have spoken. And we must shut up and listen. :p

1) Button
2) No. Kimi will be unhappy if he has no icecream, and Massa will still be sobbing over not having a white visor...
3) All three. Massively. Adrian Sutil will be killed to death by evil lizards at Turn 6 on Lap 32.
4) Button
5) They don't sell the things in this country...

2009 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

BahrainPaddockNight07.jpg

?The Formula One circus likes visiting Bahrain. Everyone's looking for more than just another paddock and there's a lively city near to the Bahrain International Circuit, where there are good places to eat and go out.

The circuit was designed with the spectator in mind, with 50,000 grandstand seats, all providing excellent views. Those spectators (a total of 100,000 over a race weekend) get to see the cars heading into the external desert area, before coming back into the oasis-styled infield. Up to 500 journalists can also witness the action from the venue's purpose-built media centre. Over 12,000 tonnes of stone were used in the build, a third of it Welsh granite, chosen for the track surface due to its excellent adhesive qualities.

Lap Distance:
5.412 km (3.363 miles)

Record Pole
F. Massa - 1'21''421 (2007, Ferrari)

Pole 2008
K. Raikkonen - 1'21''813 (Ferrari)

Race Distance:
191.634miles/306.614km

Number of Laps:

Full throttle: 68%
Brake wear: Hard
Downforce level: Medium - 7/10
Tyre compounds: Soft / Medium
Tyre usage: Medium
Average speed: 210kph (130mph)

bahraincircuit.jpg

Previous Winners

2008 Sakhir K. Raikkonen
2007 Sakhir F. Massa
2006 Sakhir F. Alonso
2005 Sakhir F. Alonso
2004 Sakhir M. Schumacher

Podium 2008

1. K. Raikkonen
2. F. Massa
3. L. Hamilton

Strategy

The fuel effect is slightly lower than in Malaysia because there are fewer quick corners that are critical to lap time. Carrying a heavy fuel load therefore has less impact in Bahrain, but a two-stop race is still the optimum strategy. We can expect the top ten cars on the grid to make their first stop anywhere between laps 17 and 21, with the second stops around laps 35 to 40. The bottom 12 cars will probably make their first stop between laps 20 and 25, and their second stop between laps 40 to 45.

Chassis set-up

A set-up compromise must be sought to ensure a stable balance in the quick corners and supple enough suspension in the lower sections to give good mechanical grip. Hitting this balance will also minimise oversteer on the exit of the slower corners, allowing the drivers to carry good speed onto the straights. Good braking stability is also important, especially in Turn 10 where the drivers must begin turning into the corner while still braking.