2009 Bahrain Formula 1 Grand Prix

Good god, that was one of the most boring GP's I've ever seen. I know with all the passing it would have probably been exciting to watch, but it seemed like the F1 camera crew was making it boring on purpose:

Bahrain has always been and forever will be a boring F1 race. It's my absolute least favorite to watch.

^^Valencia??

I thought this Bahrain GP was pretty exciting compared to some of the races from last year. Great to see all the teams shuffled up and having new teams fighting for the podium finish.

Seriously, it was like, 15 minutes of coverage for Hamilton, Jenson, Vettel or Trulli, and then they did like 10 seconds of "oh by the way, the back of the grid has been shuffled, here's a token shot of Mark Webber being the plucky aussie, BACK TO THE REAL RACE..."

Goddamn, that sort of stuff just annoys me. I'd much prefer to watch BMW failing spectacularly or Piquet actually having a good race for 15 minutes and then have 10 seconds of 'Wow guys, Hamilton sure is good for taking a 1/10000 of a second off the front runners.'

To some certain extent I agree with you. We didn't get to see Piquet's brave attempt at blocking Ruby or Webber. But what we didn't miss is Webber's dominance at the back, and how he made up those places by avoiding trouble and showing some brave overtaking maneuvers.

As a matter of face, they even showed a replay of Webber's run down the main straight and taking Kovalainen and then Nakajima. Did you not see the shot where Webber missed all the flying debris?? That was quite an epic onboard shot, seeing all the bits and pieces of the front wing flying around.

Another amazing overtake was done by Alonso, where he pipped Trulli from the outside and banged wheels on the corner exit.

I did record the race yesterday and looked at this incident again. When Massa and Fisi touched, Massa was half a car behind. In my opinion, Massa had no business sticking his (car's) nose into this bend. Unfortunately, I can't find footage of this online at the moment. If anyone can, please post it here.

Massa positioned his car in the corner for quite sometime, he was on the inside line all the time, Fisi should have spotted him. It's not like he dived in up under braking. So that move was justified, it was a racing incident. Both of them were commited to the corner.

The move was fair and clean, hence no penalties from the stewards. Martin Brundle even said that Massa shouldn't have to get out of there. I'm by no means a Massa fan, there is no need for me to favour his side over Fisi.

Last edited:
Massa positioned his car in the corner for quite sometime, he was on the inside line all the time, Fisi should have spotted him. It's not like he dived in up under braking. So that move was justified, it was a racing incident. Both of them were commited to the corner.

The move was fair and clean, hence no penalties from the stewards. Martin Brundle even said that Massa shouldn't have to get out of there. I'm by no means a Massa fan, there is no need for me to favour his side over Fisi.
How come this similar incident was penalised then?

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6213786/F1_Australien_2009_Vettel_Kubica_Kollision_Premiere

Because Vettel braked early and allowed Kubica to edge pass, and then nudged him on the way out. But in my opinion, Vettel shouldn't have been punished, it was just another racing incident. However, it was partly Vettel's fault, he should have braked later and held his position. Had he done that, then either Kubica would have backed off, or Kubica would have gotten penalised for bumping Vettel from the outside. I'm sure Vettel reliased it was partly his mistake, which is why he apologised to Kubica and Thiessen after the race. And let's not mention because of the incident, both of the retired from the race. Whereas in Trulli's case, they both managed to escape.

Last edited:
I didn't know a penalty being given depends on whether the crash was important for those involved or not.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to fight against you. I'm just trying to make a point that FIA should either stick to their own rules consequently or just let them drivers sort it out on the track. I understand that these cases are not the same, but I don't see enough room for Vettel being penalised here, or the other way around, Massa not being penalised.

I don't see enough room for Vettel being penalised here, or the other way around, Massa not being penalised.

I don't see it as well, not Vettel being penalised with a big grid drop(should have been a warning to Vettel at the most). But I can understand why the stewards made the decision. Whereas I wouldn't have understand the decision if they decided punished Massa or Fisi.

I didn't know a penalty being given depends on whether the crash was important for those involved or not.

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to fight against you. I'm just trying to make a point that FIA should either stick to their own rules consequently or just let them drivers sort it out on the track. I understand that these cases are not the same, but I don't see enough room for Vettel being penalised here, or the other way around, Massa not being penalised.

Completely agree. It's the same last year with Massa and the pitlane. You can't just penalize a driver if something bad comes of his move. If the move is illegal, that's the end of it; you get a penalty.

mmm

I think China is worse than Valencia, but you're right it isn't all that exciting either.

China's had some decent GPs over the years, think 2007 and this year for examples. Valencia has only had one race so far, we should wait till this year before we make a definite judgement. Who knows, with the cars being able to follow each other more closely the race could be quite different altogether. I can imagine with KERS we could see a bit more overtaking down the long straight after the bridge.

I thought this Bahrain GP was pretty exciting compared to some of the races from last year. Great to see all the teams shuffled up and having new teams fighting for the podium finish.

Yup, way better than all those races last year where Ferrari just pootled around in front, driving home a safe 1-2 that was never challenged... :zzz:
imo you've got more interesting racing at the front now, and also enough action in the mid and back to make even a race like this good to watch.

Apologies if this has been said (long topic, can't be arsed to read it all), but is anyone else amused by how all the drivers have started calling KERS the "special button"? :D

Moderately interesting race, I was bored in parts but not as bored as China (zzz). I agree that there was far too much Toyota/Vettel/Hamilton all the time; it was important but not that important, and some of us are interested in how some of the other drivers are doing.

I am sad that Piquet's P10 may have jeopardised his chances of being fired very, very soon.

I am sad that Piquet's P10 may have jeopardised his chances of being fired very, very soon.

It's actually rather well compared to what he usuall does, ie.. crash into the nearest concrete wall.

It's actually rather well compared to what he usuall does, ie.. crash into the nearest concrete wall.

I prefer that, it's much more fun!

I just really, really hate him. I don't know why, there's no logical reason. But I want him to be gone!

Come on BMW, get your act together. Hopefully the upgrades will get them back up to the front as this is just embarrassing to watch.

I hate to piss in everyone's salad bowl, but I really do hope that this was Buttons last victory this year. Seeing a mediocre never-has-been collect 3 race victories is physically painfull. It's Hill and Villeneuve all over again - mediocre driver propelled by superior machinery :mad:
Ignorance like this always amazes me. Do you work for Renault by any chance?

^

Don't mind him, he obviously wasn't watching the 04 season where Jense finished behind two dominating Ferraris (Schumi+Ruby).

However, I do agree with him on the Jacques Villeneuve part.

I hate to piss in everyone's salad bowl, but I really do hope that this was Buttons last victory this year. Seeing a mediocre never-has-been collect 3 race victories is physically painfull. It's Hill and Villeneuve all over again - mediocre driver propelled by superior machinery :mad:

I don't really see how Button is "mediocre", really. He just hasn't been in the right team at the right time, until now.

He's a pretty solid driver. His driving style is quite fantastic

Button won that race purely on merit. He had a bad start but he forced it into the first corner with late breaking thus earning some places, and most importantly, overtaking Vettel, then he did what Vettel couldn't do in a whole race and overtook Hamilton to get his clean air and run away from the Hamiltrain. Vettel obviously had a very close paced car to Button's but he couldn't make the best of it, Button did.

mediocre my ass.