2009 Brazilian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Kobayashi is my new favourite japanese person

:lol: it's just Webber's luck to win a race and have it completely overlooked due to Button's (richly deserved) WDC. Nice job by them both though. and YAY WEBBER :D

Fantastic race. Button deserved the title, no doubt about that.

Great race also by Red Bull. Webber 1st and Vettel 4th is great. I'm now hoping Vettel becomes vice world champion.

Koayashi was great -- no respect for the elder ones. Great potential, if he gets a cockpit in a good car.

On a side note: Norbert Haug of Mercedes was also smiling greatly.

Last edited:
Great race from Webber, Hamilton and especially Button. Great to see him prevail. I'll post later when I can collect my thoughts and put them into coherent sentences.

Thanks to all the people on the IRC chat, fantastic experience. I'll have to do that more often :cool:

:lol: at the BBC!

"Jenson Button... MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!11"

Fuck me this is fantastic. Button is the new World Champion!!!!

Can't believe this, havn't been this happy since Brazil '07.

Well done Jenson, you've made us all very, very proud to be your loyal fan.

Fantastic race, from start to finish.

Congrats to Brawn and Button! :D

And thanks to all of you guys on IRC, you were awesome :)

I think it is a moniker that is used way too often and liberally for the most mundane stuff, but on this occasion, it is more than appropriate, because this race was truly EPIC!

There were just so incredibly many amazing and stunning drives today, Webber, Kubica (I hope Renault gives him a decent car next year), Hamilton and Vettel making their strategies work as brilliantly as they did, and Kobayashi!
Simply amazing to see a rookie like him race all out, balls to the wall, among the best, while others like Grosejan were being handed down the grid like a falling rock... :shock2:

But... Jenson Button... legendary piece of driving on his part, although he didn't even have to. Great stuff, and I think a truly deserved World Champion title for him! And the team of course too, it was great to see them all going nuts in their garage when the BBC guys desperately tried to make themselves heard and do their job over the Brawn guys' singing in the background. :D

And major :lol: at McMerc unveiling their newest secret trick after KERS:
The Flamethrower :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Well that was a cracker. Despite not having any rain, Interlagos delivers in spades. And we should definitely meet up more often on IRC during quali and the races.

Congratulations to Button and Brawn GP. No matter what some people might try to say, but if you score more than the rest of the field, you're worthy of taking the title. :) And a good way to wrap up the title, fighting up to 5th after starting 14th and with a few daring moves into the Senna S. Poor Rubens, his Interlagos jinx returns to haunt him.

Vettel must be unspeakably p*ssed off. He lost any chance yesterday in quali. Very good drive by Webber though, really kept his cool and kept banging in the laptimes needed to get this win. Strong drive by Kubica as well, shows that the confirmation of his 2010 seat has lifted a large weight off his shoulders.

Hamilton's strategy paid off very well. Strong drive from him as well, but a shame about that touch with Rubens that might have caused that puncture. On another note... WTF was Kovalainen thinking? This is definitely curtains for his McLaren career. Nice gesture by the Brawn mechanics to get that fuel hose off though.

I was very impressed by Kobayashi's driving today, except for that incident with Nakajima. Fighting all the way, not getting phased by the fact that he was fighting with the Championship contenders, good defensive driving, and a daring pass on Fisichella late in the race.

Of the rest... What the **** was Trulli thinking? Going around Sutil like that and just expecting him to yield when Sutil had his hands full with Kimi? There was no point in him almost assaulting AS there after the accident. They looked as if they were about to descend into a boxing match.

Anyone know the songs they had in the montages ? Particularly the one which went "away away away away" in the Button/Brawn montage and then the epic music in the "Master of the Universe" bit.

Last edited:
Of the rest... What the **** was Trulli thinking? Going around Sutil like that and just expecting him to yield when Sutil had his hands full with Kimi? There was no point in him almost assaulting AS there after the accident. They looked as if they were about to descend into a boxing match.

Yeah, Trulli was out of line there, at best that incident can be seen as a racing incident, and at worst as his own fault imo. Either way, I don't see how you could place any blame on Sutil when he had his work cut out trying to stay clear off Kimi with his broken front wing, and Trulli tries to sledgehammer his way in like that.

Also, this was the first race I watched the BBC coverage for, instead of the German RTL broadcast... and my god, the Beeb's just so much better...

Last edited:
Wow, that was an incredible race. Kept me on the edge of my seat right from the start. Heiki's incident with the fuel rig was unfortunate but spectacular, the Sutil/Trulli/Alonso accident was completely unexpected and I thought Button was going on a 1 stop for most of the race.

Great for Jenson to finally get that championship title, he's worked hard for it this year. Great to see Mark Webber up there after the troubles at Suzuka and great to see Lewis up on the podium again. Fantastic race all round, A+ would watch again.

Fabtastic race :D First stint was completetly insane, the director was probably going berserk not knowing what to put on screen with so much going on, true chaos on a F1 track. It was pure gold :D
Second stint showed a bit of a relaxation but it all came back as we were closing in on 3rd stint.

I'm friggin ecstatic about Button today. Finally a great drive from him and that first stint was bloody glorious. Every time the camera went back to him he was attacking someone else and overtaking in spades. Fun to say he deserved this title, I was so scared he'll win it like a scared little boy but my man showed some balls today. gutsy drive and a heck of a lot of fun to watch. YAY :D

Kobayashi was awesome as well, not scared at all and standing up to the title winners was great to watch. He did however cut it very harshly into Nakajima and sent him into a wall but he's a great surprise none the less.

Kubica Webber Hamilton and Vettel also deserve a mention. Hamilton had the best drive today IMO. Always in traffic and still managed to climb from 18th to 3rd which is insane, not equivalent to Schumi's 19th to 4th if you ask me cause Schumi had a lot more on track action and overtook like 10 cars on track, but still quite an achievement.

Wonderful race, had a blast :D

Also, grab this while u can, Jenson and Ross Brawn intervies on BBC post race.

[YOUTUBE]n0CRb2FZFZY[/YOUTUBE]

Why hasn't Webber been penalised? His swerve on Kimi on the first lap was truly awful driving, and very dangerous. Webber seems to get away with that kind of move often. As the GDPA President he really should behave himself better.

^ Wasn't exactly a swerve. I thought it was a gradual move to the inside. A bit reminiscent of Schuey and JPM at the same place in '02, though.

And the precedent from that situation is "no action was taken".

EDIT: Just downloaded the BBC pre-race... and Lee McKenzie is walking around interviewing Vettel.

And I can't help noticing that her boobs are jiggling.:lol: Whoops, did I say that?

Last edited:
Nope, it was a swerve. Watch this video (before it disappears) from 2:10 onwards. They were towards the right of the track and Kimi pulled out to KERS past. Webber just pulled across, hitting Kimi. If somebody is coming past you on a straight, you can't just force them off the track, that isn't racing. I don't think it is that comparable to 2002. In that Schumi was already well over to the left and barely moved. Montoya was also still behind him when he moved, whereas here Kimi was up alongside him. He did the same thing to Button at Valencia during the start, although I can't find a proper video of the start. Edit: I might be wrong on Valencia, but he has done this to Button at the start of some race this year.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVPEeqjSh-0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Regarding Webber cutting Kimi: you are actually allowed to make one move, and Webber used it wisely to block Kimi and hold his position.