2009 Dodge Challenger revealed

God damnit, they HAD to put the B-pillar in didn't they...

but JESUS thats a good looking car, Mustang/Camaro, eat your heart out! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

The camaro will also get a B pillar....but they're saying that it won't be nearly as noticeable as the Challenger seems to be in this pic.

Honestly that b pillar just ruins everything!

Honestly that b pillar just ruins everything!
Eh, it's definitely got its benefits, but it messes up the look of the car. Just tint the shit out of the windows and you'll never notice 'em :lol:.

Eh, it's definitely got its benefits, but it messes up the look of the car. Just tint the shit out of the windows and you'll never notice 'em :lol:.

B pillar does give more structural rigidity. But I guess a dark tint would solve the cosmetic issue. Good call.

edit: It's gonna be hard choosing between this and the Camaro. We'll see who wins this round when both sides offer up the motor choices.

I'd rather have a REAL Challenger for that money thanks

It's gonna be hard choosing between this and the Camaro.
Oh yeah. Right now I'm leaning towards the Camaro, as it's supposed to get the LS3 and IRS. If they offer a base V8, (like in the G8 ), in some kind of stripped down Z28 package with a 1LE suspension option there would be no choice in my mind. The Challenger does look damn good though, and the Camaro probably won't be much lighter.

Last edited:
its exactly like the concept. i like it. but if i had to choose... well. ive always been a GM guy. so the Camaro by a mile. but i dont doubt that thatll be a great car.

Love it! 8)

All they need to do is a really good remake (not the last one) of the Vanishing Point!

vanishingpoint1.jpg

I'd rather have a REAL Challenger for that money thanks

if you find a numbers matching original 1970 challenger (426 Hemi or 440 super commando) in good running order with an interior in decent condition for 40K let me know as I will buy one too.

you won't

i will pick one up with the 6spd once they hit the used market and depreciation sets in. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Hmm, I had my truck in for service today, and I was talking to the manager of the dealership, and he said he was at the Brampton assembly plant for the showcase, and apparently, and these are his words "only building 4800 for the first model year."

Hmm, I had my truck in for service today, and I was talking to the manager of the dealership, and he said he was at the Brampton assembly plant for the showcase, and apparently, and these are his words "only building 4800 for the first model year."

Wow.....only 4800? That's gonna shoot the market price through the stratosphere.

By the way, chassis #2 of the SRT-8 Challenger has been auctioned off on eBay for $175,407.07:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=260164698329&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

89a3_1.JPG

Car/chassis #1 will be on the auction block at Barrett-Jackson in January of next year.

I also heard that the first batch of the Challengers will all be the SRT-8s, I'm assuming that the first model years will all be that way as well...

FYI, curtesy of allpar.com
The first Challengers will be SRT-8 models with automatic transmissions, with a HEMI? Orange exterior, hood stripes, and a 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine, produced in March or April as 2008 models. The first three will be auctioned off for charity. After the 2008s, all SRT8 automatics, comes 2009 model-year production with all three engines and both size Hemis with six-speed T-56 manual transmissions.

The always-reliable oh20 reported that the LC series Challenger would start production in April 2008 with the SRT8 and 6.1 liter engine. The 2009 Challenger, to be built starting in July 2008, will include a 3.5 liter SXT with the 3.5 liter engine and four-speed automatic, R/T with the second-generation 5.7 Hemi, and the SRT-8. The 2010, to start production in July 2009 - with convertibles starting in early 2009 - will be similar but with SXT and R/T convertibles, and possibly a new 6.4 liter High Output SRT8 option. Finally, the 2011 Challenger will include the 4.0 liter Phoenix engine instead of the 3.5 liter.

Available features and options on the 2008-09 Challengers will be very similar to the 2008 Charger lineup, with the addition of functional hood scoops, Keyless Go ignition and entry (2009MY), and the six-speed manual TREMEC transmission (2009MY). Six-speed SRT models will include a couple of surprise features that will have Challenger enthusiasts talking. Challenger wheel sizes should run from 17" to 20", with no spare tires on any models (and no run-flats), tire service kits will be included. Look for chrome fuel filler doors on the R/T and SRT models.

The Hemi engine is set for an upgrade, which may be why the non-SRT Challenger will take some time to show up. By 2009, Chrysler will have variable cam timing set up for its Hemi engines, neatly leapfrogging most variable-valve timing systems. The multiple displacement system is expected to remain for most, if not all, 5.7 Hemis. A 6.4 liter version is still expected, with 450-500 hp, though whether this is earmarked for the Challenger or not is still in question.

The official introduction / unveiling is set for February 6, 2008, 11 am, CST. Actual production is reportedly set for April 21, 2008. Availability should be around May-June 2008. We will be in Chicago for the reveal.

The Dodge Challenger will be produced as a coupe, to arrive in dealerships in 2008 (as a 2008 model year car), and to be built on the same line as the 300, Charger, and Magnum. Chrysler assures us that the production car will be practically indistinguishable from the concept. We have been told to expect a price of about $31,000.

Last edited:
This car is a god among men..

I think it has a very fat ass, but I may be mislead by the low quality pictures. And I don't like the color - who ever thought orange was a good idea? The only car that looks good in orange is Lamborghini Murcielago (hmm..it looks good in every color when I think about it).
It looks plastic to me, nowhere near as good as the original Challenger design. Maybe they made it so...fat in order to get the attention of rap guys.

if you find a numbers matching original 1970 challenger (426 Hemi or 440 super commando) in good running order with an interior in decent condition for 40K let me know as I will buy one too.

you won't

I'd say the chances are real slim, considering there was never a Dodge made that came with a 440 Super Commando. Plymouth's had the Super Commando, Dodges had the 440 Magnum - same engine, of course, but I'd have a laugh if I saw a 440 Super Commando air cleaner under the hood of a Charger. :p

I'd say the chances are real slim, considering there was never a Dodge made that came with a 440 Super Commando. Plymouth's had the Super Commando, Dodges had the 440 Magnum - same engine, of course, but I'd have a laugh if I saw a 440 Super Commando air cleaner under the hood of a Charger. :p

With the paperwork to backup the swap.

you won't

Muscle cars are worth less here, and did I say I wanted a Hemi museum peice?

I didn't