2009 Dodge Ram Spyshots - - News and Rumours

Mopar Man

<a href="http://forums.finalgear.com/general-autom
Car(s)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega-Cab
http://img511.imageshack.**/img511/4554/spyshothtmluy3.jpg

These are not the mules previously caught with the new front clip attached to the current truck - these are actual pre production prototypes!

At a recent industry conference in Traverse City, Michigan, Frank Klegon, Chrysler's executive vice president of product development, reiterated earlier statements that Chrysler is focused on producing advanced engines for all its vehicles, including the Ram. Mr. Klegon highlighted, "A significantly upgraded version of the renowned 5.7-liter HEMI V8 with gains in fuel efficiency, refinement, horsepower and torque, will debut in the 2009 model year."

http://img529.imageshack.**/img529/7329/rammegacabbp1.jpg

Chrysler will also offer a new, more fuel-efficient version of the E85 flex-fuel 4.7-liter base V8 engine, shared with the Dodge Dakota midsize pickup and featuring a 30 percent increase in horsepower and a 10 percent increase in torque over the old 4.7-liter V8. Other gas engine possibilities include an all-new 'Phoenix' V6, with MDS cylinder shut-off to save fuel, by 2010. We're still expecting a new Cummins V8 light duty diesel soon after launch, but there are also whispers of a V6 oil burner too, since Cummins will be building one. (The next photo is the mule.)

http://img261.imageshack.**/img261/1125/2009ramlg4.jpg

What we know (we think for certain): the Ram 1500 will finally get a new, smaller Cummins turbodiesel, built to the same high standards as past engines; and the 2500 and 3500 will have a cleaner engine using technology Mercedes bought a while back. A hybrid powertrain, using the GM-BMW-DCX system, is certain as well; it will provide a small additional gas mileage boost. Chrysler has told us that the Hemi engine will be revised so it gets better gas mileage and more power, with better driveability; it?s quite possible that they?ve finally added variable valve timing (through variable cam timing, which oh20 says is now the case), and are going to try to make it more powerful than the same-size Toyota engine, which makes 381 horsepower. What?s more, what might be the world?s best mass-produced transmission may well show up in the Ram around 2009 - a manual transmission with automatic shifting and dual clutches. We don?t know if that?s going to appear first in the Ram, but the timing is about right. (It should also go into minivans - there are two versions being engineered.)

According to Automotive News, the Ram 1500?s V8 Cummins turbodiesel (that's not a misprint, it?s a new engine) will have about 260-300 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque, with gas mileage is likely to be about 20 mpg city, 25 highway (compared with the Hemi's 13/17). Acceleration is about 1 second longer 0-60 (9.6 seconds rather than 8.6 seconds) and is good even by car standards. (Remember, that's mileage similar to the Sebring). The engine itself will use the Bluetec technology acquired by Daimler-Benz to pass 50-state emissions rules.

Brenda Priddy wrote:

These pictures show current Dodge Ram half-ton pickups running through the desert with the next-gen Ram's front clip and improved HEMI V8. Even under the heavy camouflage, it's clear that Dodge is moving away from the Ram's trademark big rig looks in favor of better aerodynamics to help boost fuel economy. The prominent crosshair grille remains - with stronger horizontal and vertical bars and slant forward styling shared with the Dodge Charger sedan.

When it goes on sale late next summer, there should be four revised engine choices. The base 215-hp / 235 lb-ft 3.7-liter V6 will be replaced with the 260 hp / 265 lb-ft 4.0-liter V6 used in the Dodge Nitro. The Ram's 4.7-liter V8 will get the same makeover as in the Dodge Dakota, boosting power to 300 hp/ 330 lb-ft, and the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 will get a bump in power [Brenda wrote ?and displacement? but we believe variable valve timing will be used instead. There have been rumors about an optional 6.1 but that seems to be speculation). A new Cummins V8 diesel motor will also be available [we think this is the lower-power model for 1500, and that the bigger straight-six Cummins will remain on the 2500/3500]. Both gas and diesel V8s will use 6-speed automatic transmissions.

J. White wrote: ?They are only using the 2009 front for cooling testing right now. The rest of this mule is for the moment the 2003+ Ram.?

?redriderbob? wrote in March 2007:

The next generation of Dodge Ram 1500 pickups, are set to debut in the 2009 model year. I have been hearing some interesting things from different sources about the new Ram 1500 lineup. One of my sources said that Ralph Gilles and his team are getting away from the ?big-rig? styling that we all love, and going towards a new design similar to the pattern of the newer Dodge truck lineup are fallowing. Styling that will be similar to the design theme used on the new Dodge Nitro, Dodge Hornet Concept, and Dodge Rampage Concept.

Mr. Gilles told the press that the next generation of Ram will be more aerodynamic and have a more luxurious car-like interior. Using the aerodynamic theme, the Gilles? gang is looking at making the pickup have more of a cab forward design. A design statement Chrysler Group created in the mid-1990s and is now trying to get away from. The bold fender flares of the Nitro, Hornet Concept, and Rampage Concept, allow for a wider track and make it possible to push the vehicle?s wheels out to the corners, making it possible to provide better handling.

New engines will debut in the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The word is that the 3.7L V6 will be dropped and be replaced with the 4.0L V6 from the Nitro. The engine will produce 270 horsepower, putting it in from of the standard engine from the rest of the manufacturers. The 4.7L V8 will get huge updates for the 2008 model year. Power should be pushed up to 300 horsepower [current spec is 290 for 2008 Dakota, and that's what we now expect] for the new Ram 1500. [Another rumor has the 3.7 V6 being replaced by a four liter Phoenix engine, but we don?t know if they can finish the factory and put it into production in time.]

A new version of the HEMI V8 in the Ram 1500 will debut in 2009. It will grow slightly in displacement, probably to a 5.9L or 6.1L configuration. The new engine will feature next generation MDS, a 3-valve per cylinder configuration [which some argue would make it not a true Hemi], and variable valve timing. The new HEMI should put out best in class power (somewhere around the 400 horsepower mark). Towing capacity should be over 10,500 lb. Engines should be equipped with 6-speed automatics, as well as the two lesser engines with 6-speed manual transmissions.

Dodge wants their pickups back on top of the market and since it?s Chrysler Group?s best selling vehicle, they will do whatever they can to put the Ram 1500 in front of the rest of the half-ton pickup lineup. Dodge will have a bunch of configurations and trims available on the pickups during its release. Expect three cab configurations, two bed lengths, and four trim packages.

Dodge will also release a two-mode hybrid version of the Ram 1500 for the 2010 model year. The hybrid will only feature the new HEMI engine.

Hemidakota added: ?The Hemi engine has four sizes what I was told. The one to watch is the high output version of the Challenger - not the SRT.?

The name Dodge Ram Toolmaster has a trademark, along with the name "Sidegate: Name of door in pickup bed giving bed access." (thanks, Dan Minick) The sidegate is a minivan-style sliding door on the side of the cab, but we haven't seen it in production.

Dodge Ram Toolmaster
B000AJJNIQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

First thing that I thought of.

Luckily, I grew up on that show and loved it, so I won't criticize. :D

Luckily, I grew up on that show and loved it, so I won't criticize.

Same here, lol.

So we are finally going to see light duty diesels in GM and Dodge. And this Dodge looks a lot lower than the current generation.

For the life of my I could never figure out why the big 3 never put diesels in their half-tons, I really can't.

And finally the vintage 4.7L Powertech V8 is getting an upgrade, they're calling it a "semi-hemi"

From that camo, it kind of looks like the new Silverado. Any shots of the interior?

For me it looks like a massive body with wheels that are too small. If they were bigger then it might look a bit better. Yes I know it's in camo but still...

looks set to be another one of those huge trucks in which people will raise by 10feet and then tailgate you like no tomorrow.

needs bigger wheels, just like the new budget end mondeos need bigger wheels. seen one yesterday, looked it was rolling on trolley wheels

looks set to be another one of those huge trucks in which people will raise by 10feet and then tailgate you like no tomorrow.
Exactly, especially since nearly every pickup truck driver I come across on the roads drives like a douchebag. I guess I missed the driver's ed class when they mentioned if you drive a pickup the traffic laws no longer apply to you.

why bother disguising a truck? It?s not as if it was going to have aheavy design change, the most important part of them is the engine performances and towing capacities.

why bother disguising a truck? It?s not as if it was going to have aheavy design change, the most important part of them is the engine performances and towing capacities.

You're clearly a bit short of American culture. In America, any new truck is more highly regarded than a new Bentley, Rolls Royce or Range Rover. To them, their trucks are as highbrow as a stately British saloon. :p

You're clearly a bit short of American culture. In America, any new truck is more highly regarded than a new Bentley, Rolls Royce or Range Rover. To them, their trucks are as highbrow as a stately British saloon. :p
BrokenRecord.jpg

Those jokes are getting old.

Trucks are hugely competitive, though, and they ARE the highest-selling vehicle in America (I don't know why either, the commercial market can't be that popular). Especially for such a popular truck like the Dodge Ram, they have to keep it under disguise in case other companies are watching.

B000AJJNIQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

First thing that I thought of.

Luckily, I grew up on that show and loved it, so I won't criticize. :D

Me too...still enjoy the reruns every day I watch:) That show is really popular over here.

It's sad, but true. I mean, If you live in Europe and you came over to North America, you would be ASTONISHED at how many people have pickup trucks, its ridiculus.

Trucks are hugely competitive, though, and they ARE the highest-selling vehicle in America (I don't know why either, the commercial market can't be that popular). Especially for such a popular truck like the Dodge Ram, they have to keep it under disguise in case other companies are watching.

That is also true, I'm not trying to sound biased in favor of Dodge trucks, but when the 1500 model came out it sold like crazy, far outclassing the Silverado and F-150 at the same time, then Ford and GM reworked there trucks and left Dodge behind from about 98-01, but then the 2002 Dodge Ram came out, which like its predecessor, left GM and Ford in the dust until about 2004/2005 when the new F-150 came out, and GM facelifted their Silverado. Now its 2007, the new F-150 is incredibly popular, as is with the all new Silverado, and in 2009 we'll see if Dodge can leave GM and Ford in the dust once again :)

It just seems to be that when a new Dodge Ram comes out, it always steals the cake :)

And look, it's already at a gas station

http://img130.imageshack.**/img130/8381/09ram03introtb7.jpg

Last edited:
tl;dr

On one hand though, it does look like Dodge is keeping the size of their truck in check. That is one thing that always bothered me about the Ram is the massive size of that thing. It's a whale compared to the F-150 and Chevy 1500. Always look like they'll run over a car, ala moparman's sig.

Hmmm... I wonder how bad this one will be, be uncle has leased new 1500s every year since 2000 and has had nothing but problems