2009 F1 Car Launches

diapo_163.jpg

This picture is pretty conclusive that it is translucent.

I like that comparison pic Devon posted though, but I think it's a pretty ugly car.

Why are the exhausts different than they were on the launch car? These hardly look aerodynamic...

you're right its quite dramatically different
20090120-qneegerwxnqwt3gwpu4a7p6if8.jpg

they're most likely trying to direct the air flow upwards to the rear wing more

Also, havent seen this before
on the mclaren
20090120-gq4sg12sasdigkxjqwr6rdbtgf.jpg

And for anyone who's been following this
part 3 of 3, BMW Sauber F1.09
[YOUTUBE]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=KwzvyqJTc4w[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
diapo_163.jpg

This picture is pretty conclusive that it isn't translucent.

Fixed that for you.

Seriously,
a) you would be able to see the sponsorship-stickers of the other side shine through
and
b) neither CRP nor GRP is transparant like that and why would they want to use acrylic glass or something like that?

Fair points, but that doesn't explain how you can see the other exhaust and the shape of the sidepod, or the suspension, or even the blue paint on the tarmac through the cover though. They're not reflections.

Well, the BMW looks better than the hybrid, that's for sure. Looks like Williams, Renault and BMW have chosen similar front end solutions where it narrows out and then widens up again at the front (Renault didn't even bother narrowing it out :p).

On the translucent issue, it's still up in the air, and cases can be mode for and against. The biggest "against' case so far is that you should be able to see the opposite of "Mobil 1"s boxed "1" and the "z" in Benz on the other side of the fin, and you can't so it could be optical illusions. Another case can be made from this pic:

http://img261.imageshack.**/img261/7945/pipesge4.jpg

Another case is here, where Potenza is spelling out backwards on the reflection:

diapo_122.jpg

Yeah that was a stupid picture to take. Reminds us of what a huge step back we've taken...

haha thats what I was thinking. But i had more of a think...

and i think the development of aerodynamics hit a peak in the last few years, deterring the racing itself. So they are just stepping back to preaero, so that development can move in a different mechanical direction. The problem is the FIA have limited engines and chosen what area to grow in - which is honestly a failure. (KERS) :rolleyes:

But I think we are just used to the 04-08 aero bits getting crazier and crazier. Now with none we are thrown off. I'm adjusting already. I don't consider it a step back.

sigh on the reflection business: the car is symmetric - you will see the same things on both sides, so they still are reflections blue tarmac and everything. It would be far too time consuming to paint, blend and fade every single fin with the rest of the body work. just my 2c.

As for the wheel covers, I wonder if a secondary objective is to incur further punctures...

Last edited:
The BMW looks better than the Renault, but still the second ugliest IMO.

On the translucent issue:

The fin on the engine cover is one of the few parts of the car which isn't curved. That's why you can see sharp reflections in it, and not in the rest of the bodywork. As mclarensmps pointed out, you can clearly see the mirrored text from the tyre in one of the pics he's got there.

Yeah, I doubt it is translucent. Everything we have seen so far can be explained as a reflection.

Ok, the tire pic, and the "O" pic could be reflections. But come on! I find it difficult to believe that from several angles the "reflection" lines up perfectly with what is behind the fin. Can any of you non-translucent believers find us a pic of the fin "reflecting" a part of the car that doesn't line up with the same part on the other side of the car behind the fin?

Last edited:
There is only one "logical" explanation. McLaren are secretly developing an invisibility device to be implemented on their road cars in order to evade speed camera detection.

surely the most logical explanation is that in some cases when the light hits the fin, it appears to be translucent and in other cases where you have different lighting like darker days, it is simply fully reflective :X

There are enough photos to prove both sides of the arguments so I'm going for my reasoning :D