2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

"This year, we saw on a number of occasions Lewis not overtaking Massa for that reason," said Ecclestone. "If he'd driven for me, tried it and made a mistake, I would have complained. It's just not on that someone can win the world championship without winning a race."
I don't know if you were paying attention, Bernie, but Hamilton actually won five races this year.

Where the fuck is he getting off spouting about "drivers not trying"? Just because someone doesn't go for broke every time they're in second place doesn't mean they aren't trying; it means they're keeping cool under pressure and only acting when they know it won't cost them the place that they had to fight to get and keep. And under his system, if I'm third and there's no way I'm going to get first, what the fuck reason do I have for trying to get second? I could just put my car into the wall and it would mean precisely dick, as far as season standings go.

Just how far up Ferrari's ass is Bernie these days, anyway?

He's just not thinking is he? What about the 18 other teams? What incentive will they have?

And it's rubbish because if the medals are equal, we will still need points as a tie breaker.

We've got about 10 days of chewing on our nails until the WMSC meeting, hoping and praying that Bernie's idea is rubbished and he dies of a stroke when he hears that it was rejected.

And it's rubbish because if the medals are equal, we will still need points as a tie breaker.

Presumably under Bernie's plan a tie on gold medals would result in a count-back of silvers, if still tied there'd be a count-back of bronzes. Regardless, it's a ridiculous plan.

We've got about 10 days of chewing on our nails until the WMSC meeting, hoping and praying that Bernie's idea is rubbished and he dies of a stroke when he hears that it was rejected.

I really can't imagine the teams agreeing to this... certainly the teams which will be running 4th or 3rd...

I really can't imagine the teams agreeing to this... certainly the teams which aren't Ferrari or McLaren...
FTFY

But then again, with all the other wacky rule changes this year, who knows who the front-runners are going to be...

Perhaps they'll agree to it, and use it as a reason to get rid of Bernie once and for all?

I hope not. Eddie Jordan had some comments on this new proposal. He too doesn't believe that the teams are behind it like Bernie claims.

He too doesn't believe that the teams are behind it like Bernie claims.
Of course not. Bernie's not going to come out and say "well everyone thinks my idea sucks"; he's just gonna bullshit us until he can't get away with it anymore.

I really, really hope that the teams won't agree because that idea is simply STUPID.

If on Dec 10th the WMSC puts this through and adds it to the F1 Sporting regulations, we're all left with no alternative besides seppuku.
Or mass murder.

I don't see why I have to kill myself when it's just as acceptable for me to kill Bernie Ecclestone et al. :p

I still kind of like the idea. At the end of the day, I watch F1 for excitement and I believe this idea would increase the excitement in the sport. I'm not an idealist or a purist who harks back to the "good old days" and the small teams only provide any real excitement every now and again.
I still think that a straight medals system is a bit daft but I would be 100% behind only giving points for 1st, 2nd and 3rd with a large bias towards the winner.

I still think that a straight medals system is a bit daft but I would be 100% behind only giving points for 1st, 2nd and 3rd with a large bias towards the winner.
But that's the thing; the only points being given out are, literally, 1 point for 1st place. That's it. Silver and bronze mean fuck all for the season, unless there's a tie between gold medals at the end of the year.

The downside to this that people arent mentioning is that bernie seems to expect every team on the grid (From Ferrari to Force India) to have a shot at winning each race, which either means most of the teams will go out of buisiness (who wants to sponsor a team that never has anything to show for their millions?) or NASCAR-style racing where each car is identical save for some stickers.

Nascar used to be a genuine racing series back in the day, but they modified it and over-regulated it in the name of entertainment. Exactly the same thing is happening to F1 right now that happened to NASCAR in the 70's.

LG signs as F1 global sponsor

26 November 2008

Consumer electronics firm LG will become a global partner and technology partner of Formula One in January 2009, Bernie Ecclestone announced today.

LG will have the exclusive designations and marketing rights as F1's official consumer electronics, mobile phone and data processor.

"LG is a leader in its field, it pioneers cutting edge technology, delivering innovation and excellence in a stylish package, which is what Formula 1 is about too," said Bernie Ecclestone. "We have so much in common, I am very excited to begin our association and look forward to the technology solutions they can bring to us also."

LG will feature as the official live timing service at F1 events and on TV graphics

Source

Hartley stands in for Webber

27 November 2008

New Zealand's Brendon Hartley will join the elite of Grand Prix racing when he participates in his first 'open' test of a Formula 1 car at the Jerez circuit in Spain on December 15. The British-based Red Bull Racing team will draft in both its regular test driver Sebastien Buemi and British Formula 3 star Hartley to cover for Mark Webber's absence at the pre-Christmas Formula 1 test. All the major F1 teams and drivers are likely to take part in this final testing of the 2008 season.

Webber has been ruled out for the whole of the winter testing programme
after breaking his right leg in a road accident in Tasmania last weekend, although he fully expects to be fit to start the 2009 season in March.

The Australian had been due to test alongside new team-mate Sebastian Vettel at Jerez on December 15-17, but RBR has now confirmed its altered plans which will see rising stars Buemi and Hartley get time in the RB4 chassis. Vettel and Hartley have shared accommodation in Milton Keynes this season, in close proximity to the Red Bull Formula 1 factory.

While Buemi, who has emerged as favourite to secure one of the two vacant drives at sister Red Bull team Toro Rosso, will drive on all three days, Hartley will drive on the opening day before new recruit Vettel takes over for the rest of the week.

Hartley, who turned 19 just two weeks ago, will be completing a full Formula 1 test outing for the first time. Early this year he was entrusted with a 'private' shakedown test of the new Ferrari-engined Toro Rosso F1 car in Italy and he had a brief run in a Renault-engined Red Bull car at Silverstone before it was rushed to the Japanese Grand Prix as a replacement chassis for David Coulthard. "Brendon is one of the shining lights in the junior team and an opportunity has arisen to allow him to get some time in a Formula 1 car," said RBR principal Christian Horner.

Hartley finished third in this season's British F3 championship - taking five race wins - and capped his strong year with a fine recovery drive from 20th on the grid to third place in the prestigious Macau Grand Prix two weeks ago. Hartley set a stunning new lap record in the Macau race.

Source

That will be quite a set back for Webber missing the whole winter testing programme, I just hope that without his experience the development of the RB5 isn't hendered.

Now that I've caught up on this thread here are my thoughts on a few things being discussed in here.

Medals - A really stupid idea in my opinion, not only will it not leave much incentive for those below the top 4 to go for higher places it will also make F1 races a bit more duller for the spectators. If the driver/s or team/s we support aren't in the top 3 and don't look like being in the top 3 during the race, we won't care or be excited as much for the race, where as now we can be cheering on our driver/s and team/s as they're making there way towards the top 8 and up through the top 8 to score some points.

Qualifying - Doesn't need changing and a stupid idea to think it does and then try to change it.

Toro Rosso
- Good to hear that Red Bull have taken full control of the team and that it will live on. It will continue to play a key role in giving up and coming drivers a start in F1.

Canada
- Really sucks it won't be back, Bernie you are a complete idiot for letting it go. I hope some of the other countries with dull boring tracks start pulling out of F1 as it is economical viable for them and you realise you need these great tracks for F1 to survive.

I'd so love to see Vettel in a McLaren...:D

He's just fine at Red Bull, Red Bull. :p

Qualifying - Doesn't need changing and a stupid idea to think it does and then try to change it.

My only problem with the current quali system is the fuel rule in Q3. They should qualify with an (almost) empty tank and then put as much fuel in the car before the race as they want.

^^ Why though? I mean, the way it is now, if you're at an advantage in quali, you're at a disadvantage in the race. It equalizes things and gives people more of a chance. If the guy on pole was on the same fuel as the rest, you know he's going to win regardless, because he was quckest anyway...

Last edited: