2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

He has a point. It is the newest most pointless feature being introduced to F1 cars. I mean the system is only allowed to give you at most 30 hp? at the cost of extra weight, why? Is 30 hp really going to make that significant of a difference in a car that has 800+ hp?

LOL I'm willing to bet that Ferrari will be clever enough to come up with a way that the car will appear to have KERS but it won't even work... :lol:

As I've explained somewhere before: the weight of the KERS-system (30-40kgs) isn't really a factor. It simply means there'll be less ballast left to balance the car.
And that 30HP (or whatever) KERS is going to deliver means that that's 30HP that the engine doesn't have to generate, which means the engine can rev longer before hitting the redline. (because it's being assisted by the KERS-system)

And I'll bet you that if Ferrari can't get KERS to work(properly) in time for the 2009 season, which is likely, it won't be mandatory. :)

1226510785.jpg

That's going to take some getting used to - it just looks so awkward

And the image... (this is the highest-res photo so far
Isn't showing up, but I went on the internet and I found this...

...article. Which I assume is where the picture's coming from.

Considering some of the aerodynamic monstrosities F1 has been made to suffer in the past, and others which were proposed for the future, this really isn't all that much to crow about. Which I seem to remember saying before. Despite subjecting the initial picture to a bout of GIMP to remove the rear wing altogether just to see what it'd look like.

The most ungainly part of that Williams is the bulbous duck-billed-platypus nose... not that Williams hasn't experimented with animalistic designs before. I am the eggman, they are the eggmen... you know the rest.

As I've explained somewhere before: the weight of the KERS-system (30-40kgs) isn't really a factor. It simply means there'll be less ballast left to balance the car.
And that 30HP (or whatever) KERS is going to deliver means that that's 30HP that the engine doesn't have to generate, which means the engine can rev longer before hitting the redline. (because it's being assisted by the KERS-system)

And I'll bet you that if Ferrari can't get KERS to work(properly) in time for the 2009 season, which is likely, it won't be mandatory. :)

I hear the weight of the KERS can be anywhere from 25-60kg, how can you say that isn't going to be a factor? seriously? From a physical standpoint I don't see how it can't be...

I can assure you that 30hp really isn't going to make any positive groundbreaking differences in the overall performance of the car especially when that extra 30 hp can cost up to an extra 60kg in weight.

I will applaud Ferrari many times over if they decide not to use the KERS bullshit.

I hear the weight of the KERS can be anywhere from 25-60kg, how can you say that isn't going to be a factor? seriously? From a physical standpoint I don't see how it can't be...

I can assure you that 30hp really isn't going to make any positive groundbreaking differences in the overall performance of the car especially when that extra 30 hp can cost up to an extra 60kg in weight.

I will applaud Ferrari many times over if they decide not to use the KERS bullshit.

The minimum weight of the cars is not changing, so a car fitted with KERS will weigh exactly the same as a car without KERS. All it means is that teams will have less choice over where to put the ballast to get to the minimum weight.

Yeah, KERS will make the cars faster, no doubt about it, because as peter said, the wieght stays the same. And I believe it's more than 30bhp, which makes a difference. Just look at where Toro Rosso was when they got some more power.

Ok, after reading a few articles I dug up, I've read that it will cut anywhere from 0.1-0.3sec of a lap time, which is pretty impressive I guess.

It also depends when they use. The power generated by it is not used constantly, it is stored in a battery and is released when the driver preses the "overtake" button...

My question is, how will they use it in quali?

My question is, how will they use it in quali?

Good question. Do you think it can also be programmed? The only way I can see it being beneficial in qualifying is for accelerating out of corners in high torque demand situations.

Am I the only one who actually likes the look of that thing? :p

^ Yes :p

From that angle the weird narrowness of the rear wing is somewhat hidden.

Testing:

Valencia

BMW
17th Monday - Kubica & Klein
18th Tuesday - Kubica & Heidfeld
19th Wednesday - Heidfeld & Klein

Barcelona

Red Bull
17th - Loeb
18th - Vettel/ Loeb
19th - Vettel

Renault
17th - van der Garde & Piquet
18th - van der Garde & Piquet
19th - Grosjean & Piquet

Williams
17th - H?lkenberg
18th - Rosberg
19th - H?lkenberg

Torro Rosso
17th - Buemi & Sato
18th - Buemi & Sato
19th - Buemi & Sato

Honda
17th - Di Grassi & Senna
18th - Di Grassi & Senna
19th - Di Grassi & Senna

Force India
17th - Sutil
18th - Sutil
19th - Sutil

Mclaren
17th - Paffett & De la Rosa
18th - Paffett & De la Rosa
19th - Paffett & De la Rosa

Ferrari
17th - Badoer
18th - Badoer
19th - Badoer

Thanks for that..was wondering who would be testing...

Badoer sure has his work cut out :p

Thanks for that..was wondering who would be testing...

Badoer sure has his work cut out :p

I don't know how accurate is that though, I saw it on a Hungarian forum but the guy who posted it is usually a quite reliable source ;)

^ Yes :p

From that angle the weird narrowness of the rear wing is somewhat hidden.

I like the cleaner look, at least. No dumbo ears on the nose, or those ugly shark fins.

Might just be me who is a weirdo, though... I actually prefer Fuji Speedway to Suzuka as well... :p

Honda
17th - Di Grassi & Senna
18th - Di Grassi & Senna
19th - Di Grassi & Senna

This is somehow odd... First, a Senna driving a Honda. Again. Second, both are Brazilians fighting for a seat that currently belongs to a Brazilian. :lol:

Honda
17th - Di Grassi & Senna
18th - Di Grassi & Senna
19th - Di Grassi & Senna

This is somehow odd... First, a Senna driving a Honda. Again. Second, both are Brazilians fighting for a seat that currently belongs to a Brazilian. :lol:

Why not give them both seats..Honestly.