2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Would be far too bumpy I reckon but would be quite a sight. Why not just put some goddamn grandstands at Paul Ricard!!!!! Its FIA standard, the drivers like it, its pictureseque and its a a great track. Would cost, surely $10 million max??

Thing is, since Ricard got the "High Tech Test Track" designation, they were forced to tear down the grandstands and aren't allowed to build new ones, as far as I know.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=36630

For God's sake, somebody PLEASE go talk to the ACO and make them get the French GP at Le Mans, and not on the Bugatti track, but on La Sarthe!

La Sarthe? I can't imagine it. All those bumps down the Mulsanne straight, especially tackled at over 220mph would just be a nightmare for the health and safety men.

On the other hand, it'll be quite a boredom-busting weekend for Bernd Maylander!:lol:

I've just had the best idea EVER.

BRING BACK QUALIFYING TIRES!

2 sets per weekend, only allow them to run on them in qualifying (no testing on these tires), ultra-high grip, ultra-high degradation. One flying lap is all there is to it: we would see jumbled-up Q1s and Q2s if some cars get the qualifying tires working better than others.

And it will also come down to who gets the best traffic window. Move off-line on qualifiers to pass someone and the tires are ruined.

I've just had the best idea EVER.

BRING BACK QUALIFYING TIRES!

2 sets per weekend, only allow them to run on them in qualifying (no testing on these tires), ultra-high grip, ultra-high degradation. One flying lap is all there is to it: we would see jumbled-up Q1s and Q2s if some cars get the qualifying tires working better than others.

And it will also come down to who gets the best traffic window. Move off-line on qualifiers to pass someone and the tires are ruined.
I wish I could murder through the computer.

Because that's a silly idea. I won't be a douchebag and -rep simply because I disagree with you, but qualifying should be about putting the fastest people up front, not who can get the best traffic window. :p

Usually the guys who were the best qualifiers, back in Ye Olde Days, were also able to find the best windows in the traffic and set off on an extremely commited lap.

im sure back in the ye olde days, they - the drivers and fans - found fault with the problem as well, as we the current fans find fault with LOADS of things.

i agree with dogbert, the fastest should take pole. TBH actually, I like the current setup. It allows for flexible strategy. Where you end up is a result of the risks teams and drivers take.

Ye gods, where do I start? Strange what a few days' hiatus can do.

The French GP: Can't say I'm surprised, although I'm immensely disappointed that the grandstands at Paul Ricard are gone and it can't be held there. And if it was going to be Le Mans, I'd want it not just on the full circuit - but with those chicanes on the Mulsanne straight removed. Any engine on its third race would be in deep trouble! But, I suspect Bernie and his wombles are going to get it their way again, so the 2011 French GP can be an awful farce round the car park at Disneyland once they've had time to sort the cash out.

Video of the 2009 cars: I'd say wait until there's a video that's in the correct aspect ratio before making a final judgement. Squeezing a 16:9 picture into 4:3 is only going to make them look weirder than they already are. Incidentally, I assume the duck's bill shaped noses are part of the 2009 rules.

Medals: I continue to say "Arse!" to this idea. That said, the idea of a point for pole position and another for fastest lap, much the same way it's awarded in other series, would be a better reward for brilliant driving than reverting back to 10-6-4-3-2-1, as there's a chance to open a 4-point gap between first and second while still allowing Force India a chance of a point at a couple of races. I am wary of proposing a much larger shake-up, though - I'm sure there are a fair few drivers of the 80s and before that feel cheated that they only had 9 points for a win and nothing for seventh; it'll be a lot easier for the Alonsos, Hamiltons, Vettels and others who have started their career properly since 2003* to beat his 798.5 points total. In fact, I'll bet Michael Schumacher's 1369 points isn't an invulnerable target.
Still, this points-record problem didn't trouble the Yanks in 2004 when the number of points available to any one driver at a CART event was increased from 22/23 to 35, and points were awarded down to 20th instead of 12th.
* No, I hadn't forgotten Alonso had a drive in 2001. It was with Minardi, and even he couldn't drag it to sixth.

Qualifying: why are they even thinking of changing it? It works fine as it is. If there's going to be a tweak, then allow the top ten to run on qualifying fuel loads so they can go all-out for the fastest lap of the session when it really matters. Otherwise, leave it alone.

And finally: in news that I'm sure you'll all be thrilled to hear, I feel a new and exciting Inventive Post coming on. Give me a few late-night hours and you'll see.

GREAT NEWS!!!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/72244

BBC confirms commentary line-up

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, November 24th 2008, 13:39 GMT

The BBC has confirmed David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan as part of its presenting team for its Formula One television coverage in 2009.

Coulthard, who retired from racing at the end of the 2008 season, will join former team boss Jordan alongside anchor Jake Humphrey.

BBC Radio 5 Live's Jonathan Legard will commentate alongside Martin Brundle.

Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie will be the BBC's pitlane reporters.

"After 15 seasons competing in F1, my passion for the sport is still very much alive, and therefore I was delighted to be given the opportunity to share my views and experiences through the BBC coverage of F1," said Coulthard.

"Many of the BBC team are known to me already and, for those members new to F1, I look forward to building on the established audience of F1 fans in the UK."

The BBC also said Murray Walker will return to the network as a regular presence on the Sport website.

The BBC has a five-year F1 deal.

Good to see Martin officially confirmed... and Ted Kravitz is also moving over! Fantastic... The best two guys in the ITV team get the move that they deserved. And two outspoken characters in the studio in the form of DC and EJ...

Now the only thing left to make it absolutely perfect is to BRING BACK "THE CHAIN".

Last edited:
They had better not fuck up the theme tune. Pity about Louise Goodman, she seemed to know a lot of the f1 crowd and could always get an interview.

Does anyone know on which BBC Channel F1 is being broadcasted next year? We only receive BBC1 and BBC2 here..

GREAT NEWS!!!!
That's awesome! :clap: Even if nobody can (or wants to) follow the races this season with all these stupid rule changes, at least we'll have some great commentary about it.

JM: Great news!
JC: Wot.
JM: The BBC have confirmed their commentary lineup!
JC: Excellent.

I soooooooooo wish now that Martin is invited on Top Gear and Jezza tries to take him on about his trousers...

Jezza on the Ford GT on the Cool Wall:

"It's not just that I'm getting one[...] Martin Brundle's getting one; HAVE YOU SEEN HIS TROUSERS?" :lol:

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks that every time somebody says "Great News"...

I always feel like replying something along the lines of "The Dacia Sandera is now available as a 4x4!"

...we are sad aren't we...:p

Bit late in the thread i know.. But a few things (obvious ones that i'm sure have already been stated).

1. Why all these crappy and pointless rule changes when the last two seasons of F1 have been fantastic??

2. KERS... Awful, awful idea.. Lets face it, the best kind of racing is where two closely matched cars dogfight for position, each driver trying to dupe the other into running wide or off-line. Having a simple button that gives one driver a massive power boost takes away the thrill of a genuinely excellent overtaking move. Or you know, the fact that you can fight a push to pass by pushing your own.. push to pass. Does anyone know of any petition anywhere?? Please god?? Can we get rid of this god awful idea???