2009 Italian Formula 1 Grand Prix

pfrocker

Santander Italian Grand Prix
Monza, the home race for the tifosi. This is one of the few classic high speed track left that is still operational, the Italians call it the "Magic Track". Short track history:
-Opened in 1922, it was only the third purpose built race track after Indianapolis and Brooklands.
-In 1955, the circuit had an additional 4.52 km oval track, when combined with the original race track the total length of the track was a whooping 10km!
-In the event of the tragic 1961 race where a crash saw the death of spectators near the Parabolica, the high speed oval track was abandon all together.
-In 1972, various chicanes were placed to slow the cars down.

While it has seen great moments of racing, it has unfortunately seen many tragic events. The list of fatalities from this circuit is substantial and unfortunate, the death of Rindt and Ascari to note were a great loss in motorsport.

Monza consists of very long straights and tight chicanes, putting a premium on good braking stability and traction. The circuit is very hard on gearboxes, with many gear changes per lap. Engines are at full throttle for nearly 80% of the lap, with engine failures common. The cars are set up with mimimal wing angle, to ensure the lowest level of drag on the straights. There are only 3 proper corners at Monza, the two Lesmos and the Parabolica, so cars are set up with maximum performance on the straights.

Race information:
Laps 53
Circuit length 5.793 km (3.600 mi)
Race length 306.720 km
Number of times held 58
First held 1950
Last held 2008
Most wins (drivers) Michael Schumacher (5)
Most wins (constructors) Ferrari (17)

Schedule:
* Friday 11 September 2009
* Practice 1 10:00-11:30
* Practice 2 14:00-15:30
* Saturday 12 September 2009
* Practice 11:00-12:00
* Qualifying 14:00
* Sunday 13 September 2009
* Race 14:00

Questions:
1) Who will take pole and win the race?
2) Who will be driving for Ferrari in Monza?
3) Will Jenson Button score in this race? Where will he finish?
4) Spa saw Toyota, BMW, and Force India bounce back as contenders for victory. Will they repeat the same challenge here?
5) How much of an advantage will KERS play in this race?
6) Out of the 4 contenders for the championship, who will score the most in this race?
7) Will we see rain again like last year?

monza_2.jpg

Pictures:
pista_0.jpg

c199f4aca1ba0c7365fef84debd6f620.jpg

Videos:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GK6oy8bHI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOUn4-GVYF8[/YOUTUBE]

Official F1 Link:http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/italy_800/

Last edited:
1) Who will take pole and win the race
Pole:Vettel Win:Vettel
Fisichella, He earned it by losing, just, to the red car.
Button will come 6th, and yes
4) Spa saw Toyota, BMW, and Force India bounce back as contenders for victory. Will they repeat the same challenge here?
I think force india will score again, the others no
Kers rocks, i think its a shame its going next year
6) Out of the 4 contenders for the championship, who will score the most in this race?
Red bull
Nope, it doesnt rain this year. One torrential downpour and its out of the f1 calendar

Last edited:
Questions:
1) Who will take pole and win the race? Not sure, maybe Vettel, Vettel
2) Who will be driving for Ferrari in Monza? Not Badoer, for sure
3) Will Jenson Button score in this race? Where will he finish? Likely, most likely 6th-8th
4) Spa saw Toyota, BMW, and Force India bounce back as contenders for victory. Will they repeat the same challenge here? Force India are apparently often the fastest through the speed traps, so they may do well here. Toyota and Quitters, I can't say.
5) How much of an advantage will KERS play in this race? Given the track is mostly straights, it may be a sizeable advantage
6) Out of the 4 contenders for the championship, who will score the most in this race? Vettel.
7) Will we see rain again like last year? :dunno:

NO CLUE!!!
DON'T CARE!
NO!
Historically I can only speak for BMW, and they should do well here.
Aero efficiency/low drag
Vettel
Hope so :p

1. Vettel/ Raikkonen
2. Bourdais. Fisi will want to stay in this car at this track.
3. Yes. 6th
4. Of course they will. Toyota maybe not because you never know what your going to get.
5. What a stupid question. A good run into the long straights like Spa.
6. "Shit we've gone through" Vettel
7. No. Sunny skies and unbearable tifosi.

Questions:
1) Who will take pole and win the race? Kimi, Kimi
2) Who will be driving for Ferrari in Monza? Kimi and not Badoer!
3) Will Jenson Button score in this race? Where will he finish? No, DNF engine failure.
4) Spa saw Toyota, BMW, and Force India bounce back as contenders for victory. Will they repeat the same challenge here? Yes.
5) How much of an advantage will KERS play in this race? A lot!
6) Out of the 4 contenders for the championship, who will score the most in this race? Vettel
7) Will we see rain again like last year? Nope!

Last edited:
Questions:
1) Who will take pole and win the race? Kimi, Kimi
2) Who will be driving for Ferrari in Monza? Kimi and not Badoer!
3) Will Jenson Button score in this race? Where will he finish? No, DNF engine failure.
4) Spa saw Toyota, BMW, and Force India bounce back as contenders for victory. Will they repeat the same challenge here? Yes.
5) How much of an advantage will KERS play in this race? A lot!
6) Out of the 4 contenders for the championship, who will score the most in this race? Vettel
7) Will we see rain again like last year? Nope!

Just go with it!
I'm rooting a Force India for podium, at least. They are running great with low down force.

This is one of my favourite races for sentimental reasons....when I was 6 my family moved to Monza for 2 years, to an apartment just across the road from Monza park, which the track is in. We were there for the 1997 Italian Grand Prix and I'll never forget the noise! Watching on TV but having the commentary drowned out by the cars across the road! It was one of the things that first got me interested in F1.

Anyhow, thats my boring anacdote done :p

V1) Who will take pole and win the race
I'm can't predict!
Fisichella
Yes, 7th
Only Force India
Unless it rains, quite a lot
6) Out of the 4 contenders for the championship, who will score the most Sadly I'm not sure if Webber is a contender anymore. So out of the remaining three, probably Vettel.
Weather in Monza can be pretty random and extreme, so who knows!

Since their car is fantastic in a straight line, I'll say: Pole and race win both go to Fisichella.

Kimi and Jules Bianchi or whatshisname(who was mysteriously stalking around the Ferrari garage in FP at Spa)

No. He'll finish 11th.

Force India and Toyota without a doubt. BMW... not so sure.

Pretty major in the hands of the Kimster.

Seb.

No.

Kimi, Kimi

Kimi and Badoer

P6 - 3 pts.

Yes.

Big advantage.

Toyota.

No.

1) Who will take pole and win the race? Hamilton, Hamilton (Their car is fast on straights, and has good kerb-riding, we don't know if the FI has good kerb suspension)
2) Who will be driving for Ferrari in Monza? Kimi, Bianchi
3) Will Jenson Button score in this race? Where will he finish? 6th
4) Spa saw Toyota, BMW, and Force India bounce back as contenders for victory. Will they repeat the same challenge here? Only Force India
5) How much of an advantage will KERS play in this race? Very big - If Lewis is 5th or higher, he will lead after the first lap
6) Out of the 4 contenders for the championship, who will score the most in this race? It's Webber's turn
7) Will we see rain again like last year? Hope so, but no.

Vettel / Fisi for pole.

Kimi for race win

Bianchi, He was suppose to replace Massa, but Ferrari chose Badoer instead.

Yes, Top 8

Yes.

Lots, if used correctly.

Vettel

Ask the weather man

Kimi and Jules Bianchi or whatshisname(who was mysteriously stalking around the Ferrari garage in FP at Spa)

I can't see Ferrari taking on a rookie when they need both cars to score points in order to fight off the McLaren challenge. Fisichella is the best qualified for the job.

I can't see Ferrari taking on a rookie when they need both cars to score points in order to fight off the McLaren challenge. Fisichella is the best qualified for the job.

When was the last time Ferrari made a logical choice this season? :think: And also, after yesterday's showing, and with an even faster track, I don't think Fisi is actually that convinced about whether it would be the right thing to make the move.

Last edited:
When was the last time Ferrari made a logical choice this season? :think: And also, after yesterday's showing, and with an even faster track, I don't think Fisi is actually that convinced about whether it would be the right thing to make the move.

I think it's quite likely Force India will have a better package than Ferrari at Monza, but seriously come on. You're an Italian who's dreamt of driving for Ferrari his whole life and now it looks like there's a good chance of that happening. And at Monza as well in front of thousands of Tifosi at the spiritual home of Ferrari. You're going to take it.

Jean Alesi had a signed contract with Williams for the 1991 season, but when Ferrari came knocking, he forgot that and signed with them in a heart beat, despite Williams looking like the better bet on their upswing.