2009 Japanese Formula 1 Grand Prix

pfrocker

Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix
After a night race in Singapore that saw another example of how unpredictable this season is, where we saw Hamilton win and surprise to see Glock and Alonso on the podium, we head to Suzuka. Suzuka is a classic track that is a favorite amongst drivers and fans. The combination of challenging high speed curves and long straights makes this an ideal racing circuit. The most famous corner is arguably the 130R, a challenging fast left hand corner that saw Allan McNish go off in 2002.

Suzuka was constructed in 1962 and designed by John Hugenholtz--he has also credited on the designing of Zolder, Hockenheimring, Jarama, and Zandvoort circuit. Due to safety concerns and modernization of the circuit, Formula One was not held in 2007 and 2008 season. But since completion of the update, drivers and fans alike are glad that Suzuka is back.

Map:
circuit_japan.jpg

Race information:
Circuit length: 2.832 miles (4.558 km)
Number of laps: 67
Race length: 189.777 miles (305.416 km)
First Held: 1987
Last Held: 2006
Lap record: 1:31.540 (Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren, 2005)

Schedule:
Fri 02 October 2009
Friday Practice 1-------10:00 - 11:30
Friday Practice 2-------14:00 - 15:30
Sat 03 October 2009
Saturday Practice------11:00 - 12:00
Qualifying--------------14:00
Sun 04 October 2009
Race--------------------14:00

Questions:

1) Who will take pole and win the race?
2) Will Vettel still be in the title contention after this race?
3) How many DNFs will there be?
4) Will Nakajima score points in his home race?
5) Who will be third for constructors? Ferrari or McLaren?
6) Out of the following midfield teams who will be more successful here: Toyota, Williams, BMW, Renault, or Force India?
7) And finally, how much did you miss Suzuka?

http://img9.imageshack.**/img9/971/picture1et.png
rjpn2006su03.jpg

rjpn2006su04.jpg

Videos:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLYUPN9IhkE&feature=PlayList&p=DD06DA35B95CB76C&index=19[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN806RQ1rB4[/YOUTUBE]
Links:
Official Site| Wiki

Last edited:
1) Who will take pole and win the race? Hamilton, Rosberg (just to be different)
2) Will Vettel still be in the title contention after this race? Unlikely. 25 points behind with 30 points available? It's mathematically possible, but he would have to win every race and have Button not score, pretty much.
3) How many DNFs will there be? Maybe three. More if it's wet.
4) Will Nakajima score points in his home race? I hope so...
5) Who will be third for constructors? Ferrari or McLaren? Ooh, close. Probably McLaren.
6) Out of the following midfield teams who will be more successful here: Toyota, Williams, BMW, Renault, or Force India? Hmmm...BMW have been going hell for leather with improving their cars so it may just be them. Or Force India.
7) And finally, how much did you miss Suzuka? I admittedly haven't been watching F1 long enough to miss Suzuka, but it is a great track so I'm really looking forward to the race.

Vettel, Jenson

Nope

Maybe, not likely.

Now that Kimi is destined to switch teams, I'd hope it's McLaren.

6) Out of the following midfield teams who will be more successful here: Toyota, Williams, BMW, Renault, or Force India?

Renault

Not that much.

1) Who will take pole and win the race? Vettel, Vettel
2) Will Vettel still be in the title contention after this race? No, Jenson second
3) How many DNFs will there be? 5
4) Will Nakajima score points in his home race? No
5) Who will be third for constructors? Ferrari or McLaren? McLaren, if their downforce package has developed
6) Out of the following midfield teams who will be more successful here: Toyota, Williams, BMW, Renault, or Force India? Force India
7) And finally, how much did you miss Suzuka? A lot. I love that place as much as Spa.

1) Who will take pole and win the race? Button, Webber (I still have hope)
2) Will Vettel still be in the title contention after this race? Don't think so
3) How many DNFs will there be? 4
4) Will Nakajima score points in his home race? Maybe
5) Who will be third for constructors? Ferrari or McLaren? Mclaren, by the looks of things
6) Out of the following midfield teams who will be more successful here: Toyota, Williams, BMW, Renault, or Force India? Renault
7) And finally, how much did you miss Suzuka? Er, no.

Pole: Rubens, Race win: Button.

No.

Three DNFs, all of them stuck in the gravel trap because of a rain shower that only affects the Spoon Curve.

No.

McLaren.

Force India and Williams.

A lot. Sector 1 of the lap FTMFW.

1) Who will take pole and win the race? Vettel, Button
2) Will Vettel still be in the title contention after this race? No.
4) Will Nakajima score points in his home race? No :(
5) Who will be third for constructors? Ferrari or McLaren? McLaren
6) Out of the following midfield teams who will be more successful here: Toyota, Williams, BMW, Renault, or Force India? My heart says Williams, my head says their race will be a mess.
7) And finally, how much did you miss Suzuka? VERY much.

Nevermind the race, I want to see one of those videos Nico's been doing where he tries to draw the track blindfolded:p

I LOVE Suzuka. Not just because it's an awsome track (which it most definitely is) but because Japan is one of the few races on the calendar that isn't on at 6 AM local:p

Nevermind the race, I want to see one of those videos Nico's been doing where he tries to draw the track blindfolded:p

I LOVE Suzuka. Not just because it's an awsome track (which it most definitely is) but because Japan is one of the few races on the calendar that isn't on at 6 AM local:p
it's gonna be at 3AM here :( That said Suzuka is definitely something to be waiting for :D

1) Who will take pole and win the race? Vettel, Hamilton
2) Will Vettel still be in the title contention after this race? No
3) How many DNFs will there be? 4
4) Will Nakajima score points in his home race? Yes
5) Who will be third for constructors? Ferrari or McLaren? McLaren. They've got it right at the moment.
6) Out of the following midfield teams who will be more successful here: Toyota, Williams, BMW, Renault, or Force India? Renault or Force India it will be close.
7) And finally, how much did you miss Suzuka? A lot, I always liked the track.

Barrichello.

No.

No.

No idea.

Renault.

Heaps. I'm glad its back. :mrgreen:

Who knows, it seems to change every race! Badoer!
Sadly not
Doesn't look likely, sadly has struggled with the new rules
McLaren, Ferrari have stopped development now which is a pity for Fisi
Williams and Force India most likely, Toyota don't even know until Sunday, BMW have been pretty rubbish all year and Renault are in the middle.
Personally it has never been one of my favourite tracks so not much at all.

McLaren, Ferrari have stopped development now which is a pity for Fisi

How can it be a pity if Fisi knows about this before he joined the team?

I still think its an illogical move from Fisi, joining Ferraris is like announcing retirement from F1. He was doing so well in Force India

I thought I wrote my answer here yesterday but its disappeared :?

1) Who will take pole and win the race? Hamilton (4 in a row, why not), Vettel
2) Will Vettel still be in the title contention after this race? It possible, but Button will have to do quite badly so maybe not probable
4) Will Nakajima score points in his home race? No
5) Who will be third for constructors? Ferrari or McLaren? McLaren
6) Out of the following midfield teams who will be more successful here: Toyota, Williams, BMW, Renault, or Force India? BMW or Force India
7) And finally, how much did you miss Suzuka? To be honest, I've only started taking an interest in how good the different tracks are in the past year or so, so I didn't :blush:

Couple of things

1. Only 12 (thats the number I have anyway, feel free to correct me) drivers on the current grid have raced at Suzuka in F1 before, though Vettel and Sutil drove on Friday at the 2006 race. This is why I've predicted so many DNFs.

2. There is a rumour on the Digital Spy and Autosport forums that Fuji Television will be directing the race instead of FOM. If thats true, I guess we can look forward to a race in NakajimaVision.

How can it be a pity if Fisi knows about this before he joined the team?

I still think its an illogical move from Fisi, joining Ferraris is like announcing retirement from F1. He was doing so well in Force India
Its feel its a pity for him because it was a dream come true for him to drive for Ferrari, it was clearly not a decision made with his head, its just a shame that his dream of driving for them has come at the exact moment that they stopped developing the car.

Its feel its a pity for him because it was a dream come true for him to drive for Ferrari, it was clearly not a decision made with his head, its just a shame that his dream of driving for them has come at the exact moment that they stopped developing the car.
Why did they stop the development again? I thought same rules apply for next season so working on this year's car is basically working on next year's car?

Why did they stop the development again? I thought same rules apply for next season so working on this year's car is basically working on next year's car?

same rules apply (bar re-fuelling ban), but a massive chassis re-design needs to be done in order to accommodate a bigger fuel tank.

Therefore Ferrari opted to stop the development of the F60 and concentrate on next year's design.

Last edited: