2009 Line-Up Rumour Mill

I just hope Piquet Jr. hasn't forgot about that last bit...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72033

Sato to get second Toro Rosso test

By Jonathan Noble Friday, November 7th 2008, 13:49 GMT

Takuma Sato, Scuderia Toro RossoTakuma Sato has been recalled for a second test with Scuderia Toro Rosso later this month, as the Red Bull-owned team continue to evaluate their driver options for 2009.

Sato tested for the outfit at Jerez in September, and will now join Toro Rosso at Barcelona for the test that takes place from November 17-19.

A statement on Sato's website said: "We are extremely happy to announce that Takuma will be testing again for Toro Rosso in Barcelona on 17-18 November.

"Toro Rosso have yet to decide on their driver line up for the 2009 season. We would like to thank all the fans, as ever, for their fantastic support for Takuma and look forward to more good news soon."

Toro Rosso have made it clear that they want a youngster and an experienced driver in their cars next year. With Sebastien Buemi favourite for one of the seats, the second available drive appears to be a shoot-out between Sato, Sebastien Bourdais and Rubens Barrichello.

As well as Sato's vast experience, the Japanese is an attractive option for Red Bull because of the drinks company's desire to make a breakthrough in his home market - where it has struggled so far to establish itself as a major brand.

My view is that they'll start the season with Bourdais and Sato, but with Seb on the bubble and Buemi ready to replace him if the Frenchman underperforms.

SENNNNN PAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!11111ONEONEONE1111!!!!

Please, please please, hire Sato and I will buy your gear STR. PLEASE DO IT :D

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72035

Button tells Honda to retain Barrichello

By Simon Strang and Jonathan Noble Friday, November 7th 2008, 14:34 GMT

Jenson ButtonJenson Button has urged his Honda Racing chiefs to stick with Rubens Barrichello next year - as he thinks the team will be better off with two experienced drivers.

Honda have announced in the past few days that they are to test Brazilian youngsters Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi at Barcelona in Spain later this month as part of their evaluation process for a future race seat.

And although team CEO Nick Fry says it is important the team evaluate new blood, Button thinks Honda would be better off sticking with the experienced Barrichello for 2009.

When asked at a preview press conference for the Race of Champions whether he felt having two experienced drivers was vital for Honda, Button said: "Yes, definitely, especially with the new regulations.

"There are so many changes aerodynamically with the car, and with the KERS also, and the slick tyres, they will need a lot of feedback from us. And having a new boy in the car, I don't feel that you get as much feedback. But it is not my decision."

Button said that he felt Barrichello - who outqualified him 10 times this season - was in the best shape he had seen this year.

"He has driven better this year, than at any point since he has been with our team," said Button. "This is his best season and he says he is driving better now than he ever has done, and I don't think Rubens lies.

"He tells the truth, which is always good in a teammate, and he has put in some very good performances.

"The last three races have been his best. In the race we have been very similar in pace, but in qualifying he has beaten me in the last three races. He has done a good job."

Despite his feelings about Barrichello, Button believes the team were doing the right thing in trying out Senna and di Grassi

"Well it is interesting for the team and it gives them a chance, which is good for them," he said. "But I think it is important to test inexperienced drivers to see how quick they are because nobody really knows.

"Bruno almost won the GP2 championship, he finished behind Pantano who has been there for 10 years, but he might be astonishingly quick in an F1 car, we don't know."

Button's own deal for next year has not yet been confirmed, although autosport.com understands that provisional agreement about him remaining onboard has been reached.

"Nothing is sorted or signed but the team know how I feel and I think I know how the team feels," said Button. "Hopefully we can sort something out soon."

Barrichello is suffering from the Riccardo Patrese syndrome. Which means that he's driving better than ever just as he has demolished the record of his predecessor.

Oh and mclarensmps, you've just broken the forums.

I really want Sato at STR as well...the guy deserves a much better car than what he had...

I really want Sato at STR as well...the guy deserves a much better car than what he had...

I'm not sure he deserves it. When he had a good car in 2004 and 2005, he was SMOKED by Jenson, and he was crashing and taking others with him left and right. Honda/BAR had enough of his services, and a whole F1 team was formed to keep him in F1 to appease the fans. he trolled at the back of the field for a couple years, staying out of trouble. Admittedly though, he did have a couple great performances, such as Canada 2007.

If Rubens goes to STR looking for employment, does Sato deserve the seat over him? Does he also deserve it over a young promising driver like Di Grassi or Senna? How about Bourdais, who had terrible luck all season, but finally started getting close to the pace of Vettel towards the end of the season?

Sato seems like a really nice guy, and I love his passion for the sport. He seems like a worse version of Heikki Kovalainen. If STR concludes that he can driver better than other options, then go for it.

I would be happy if Sato got another chance at STR, I like his personality and he wasn't a bad driver.

But I don't really know what to think about his career, he's shown speed but I just can't help thinking about his 2004 and 2005 seasons when he was blown away by Button. Even if Honda focused more on Button's seasons, he should have done a much better job.

STR tried to get JPM? Jeez, even as a huge JPM fan I could've told them it was never going to work. Still, can't blame them for trying.

JPM hasn't driven an F1 car for the last two and a half years, he wouldn't be competitive.

He would be if you sign him now and let him test for the winter...

I don't want to see JPM near an F1 car ever again. He is simply the biggest douche to have entered into F1 even after... nvm I'll just leave it at that. :p

Such a shame. The man had WDC levels of talent and speed. Just couldn't be bothered.

That fat lazy bastard! JPM was great, and always provided entertainment.

Such a shame. The man had WDC levels of talent and speed. Just couldn't be bothered.

+1

JPM had awesome talent, but he never seemed to have that single minded determination that guys like MS and FA have.