2009 Malaysian Formula 1 Grand Prix

More detailed weight table: http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/ergeb/2009/02/78.shtml

SP = starting position
QP = qualifying position
Benzin = fuel in kg
Gesamt = total car weight in kg

Thanks for that. Vettel is going to be on a very short run with only 42 kg on fuel. The next lightest on fuel is Sutil and that's a declared weight, so he might be heavier than that.

Anyway, just watched qualifying on my DVR (hey, I need my sleep and I'm not going to watch at 2am if I can help it). The one thought I had after it how Trulli totally cost himself the pole by drifting to the center of the track coming off the final turn instead of staying close to the wall. As fast as he was all day, if he hadn't drifted out, I think he would've just barely gotten Button.

Oh well for him, he has a great shot tomorrow. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Anyway, just watched qualifying on my DVR (hey, I need my sleep and I'm not going to watch at 2am if I can help it). The one thought I had after it how Trulli totally cost himself the pole by drifting to the center of the track coming off the final turn instead of staying close to the wall. As fast as he was all day, if he hadn't drifted out, I think he would've just barely gotten Button.

Drifting across like that wouldn't have cost him anything like the time he ended up behind Button, he might have gained .05 at the very most.

I'd vote for both ;)

Brilliant job by Vettel though, he keeps kicking Webber's ass which is impressive by it self.

We see thats not necessarily true, as Vettel is the lightest runner by far, and Webber is loaded quite heavily.

Anyways, I think Kimi is going to have an advantage with KERS off the line, but his issue is going to be Kubica, who will go out of his way to block - as it was in Melbourne.

I hope for something other than a run away from button though, hopefully the front runners will be able to keep it tight. the times have been so close. until tomorrow!

Is there an English site that does the same because it looks really good.

:blink:

---

Anyone have any idea why Kimi's Ferrari didn't turn KERS on during Quali today?

---

Because Ferrari's KERS blew up yesterday?

lol.jpg

Ve vill take over ze whole world!

^ The qualifying was indeed shown on the One SD channel - I'm watching it right now.

Really? I recorded qualifying on One SD last night (was out), woke up this morning to watch it and got a graphic with a message saying 'the current sheduled program is being broadcast in HD on channel one and SD on channel ten'. We have HD but the DVR can't decode it to record it, what's the deal? A bit miffed to be honest, was really looking forward to watching it.

---

we also don't know if he just accidentally turned off KERS, I mean there is no benefit to turning it off for them (except for the safety). Kimi keeps saying he likes it, and if its working he will use it. Turning it off does not change the fact that it is there and weighing the car down.

It may also be he prefers the braking when it is off - and thought perhaps he could get a better run with it off.

we also don't know if he just accidentally turned off KERS, I mean there is no benefit to turning it off for them (except for the safety). Kimi keeps saying he likes it, and if its working he will use it. Turning it off does not change the fact that it is there and weighing the car down.

It may also be he prefers the braking when it is off - and thought perhaps he could get a better run with it off.

Did you happen to miss the huge smoke issue the car suffered which was reported as a possible KERS battery overheating :p

They may literally be forced to not use it unless they want Kimi to be sent home in an ambulance.

Really? I recorded qualifying on One SD last night (was out), woke up this morning to watch it and got a graphic with a message saying 'the current sheduled program is being broadcast in HD on channel one and SD on channel ten'. We have HD but the DVR can't decode it to record it, what's the deal? A bit miffed to be honest, was really looking forward to watching it.

I set it on the DVR to record on One SD and it recorded fine. Not sure why it didnt work for you. As far as I'm aware One SD will only have that message on it when they are showing the same program on 10SD at the same time (caught me out on AGP Saturday)

Weird... There are places that you can download qualifying though if you've missed it... Either that or tune in to the pre race show on One tonight they will probably go through the main highlights then.

Really?! How did you tune to it? I only have a crappy CRT tv, so it has to go by VHF or UHF bands. What channels is it between? So I can at least have a clue where to search

One SD is a digital channel (not HD though), not an analogue one, so you won't be able to watch it without a set-top-box.

Wha? That's weird - was fine for me.

One SD is a digital channel (not HD though), not an analogue one, so you won't be able to watch it without a set-top-box.

Wha? That's weird - was fine for me.
ok...more weirdness...decided to fast forward through the whole thing, and after an hour of that message being displayed, the qualifying session comes on. Yay!

eta: And after 5 minutes of Q1, the recorded program ends. What the fuck.

Last edited:
^ hahahaha! Rotten luck, eh? Can't you set it to record the program and not the time duration?

^ Only if your STB has an EPG (set-top box and electronic program guide for those not adept with anagrams :p). And even that isn't a guarantee as almost all Australian TV channels run overtime so the EPG is usually 5-10 minutes or more out of sync with the actual broadcast.

OneHD has shown great potential so far, but it's still disappointing that we don't get to see all the F1 broadcasts and at a reasonable time. Surely that could have shown FP1, FP2 and SP instead of the netball or whatever else they were showing on Friday and Saturday mornings. :(

Great to see Webber up in 5th on the grid, and solid work from Button again. The Brawn car is clearly the fastest out there at the moment to claim pole with a great fuel load than any of the top 5. Pretty phenomenal when they had one of the worst cars on the grid last year and have had a pretty turbulent time since then. Also great to see Jarno on the front row too. He seems like a top bloke so it's terrific to see him in contention for Toyota's first victory. Vettel should be one to watch at the start too. He's got great pace and is running a lot lighter than the cars around him so he should fly through the field up to his (early) first stop.

Last edited:
How many of you will be up and in #gear for the race? It's a 2am race for me, so I'm still considering whether I want to stay up that late or not.