• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

2009 RB5 - 1st car with pullrods for 20yrs....err....hang about!

ArosaMike

Resident Kart Racer
Car(s)
Mk5 VW Golf GTI, Aston Martin Vantage GT4 Race Car
I'd like to say that I make no apologies for just how fantastically anoraky this piece of knowledge is, or indeed quite how geeky it is that I felt so angered about it that I felt the need to share it with you all via the medium of the internet....but....when a journalistic injustice is committed regarding the topic of engineering, I just have to say something!

From the F1 website: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2009/0/626.html (also seen in Autosport Magazine) this week:

ta_article_626.jpg

The RB5 brings pull-rod rear suspension back to Formula One for the first time in over 20 years. With the diffuser moving rearwards under the revised 2009 regulations, the pull-rod layout (2) - where the suspension rockers are pulled rather than pushed by the rod - allows for cleaner aero packaging (see inset for more common push-rod set-up). The pull-rod suspension is lighter and, along with a gearbox that is now 15cm lower, helps to lower the car's centre of gravity and improve handling. The top wishbone is a single piece and is attached very high at the rear of the car (1), forming a wing-like section that works together with the lower section of the rear wing. Also note the very low and rearward positioning of the exhausts (3), which exit just under the front arm of the rear wishbone, and the lack of a central pillar to the rear wing, which is instead mounted via the wing's two large endplates, which attach directly to the diffuser.

20 years eh? I think some people need to do their research a little better before going off on one especially when it's on the official F1 website!:

I present evidence item A: Arrows A21 circa 2000:

A21Side.jpg

A21Front.jpg

A21Racing.jpg

Now unless there's something very odd going on....that's most definitely pullrod suspension!

That pullrod is tinyyyy. I guess as the pulling force doesn't generate any buckling force they can reduce the diameter of the part.

...it's too tight for my liking...it worries me....like you said, vikirad, the last car like that won all but one race in 88...

^ +rep, I like you ;) :p

Relax, Lewis Hamilton could have won the WDC in a Toyota last year. He's just unstoppable.

i'd like to see that.... that would make things interesting.....hes an awesome driver and he's also in an awesome car. id like to see him do a schuey and move to a lesser performing team and see what happens. but thats likely not gonna happen because i guess that boy owes his career to mr dennis

I was initially prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt when I first read it in Autosport and assume that the meant on the rear. I'd say it's fairly clear that they mean pullrods full stop:

The RB5 brings pull-rod rear suspension back to Formula One for the first time in over 20 years.

Doesn't say anything about being specifically the rear. It would be more of an acheivement for the front anyway if you were going to look at this way as the loads are higher at the front.

The reason they can be so small is because, as Dark Reaper says, they are only in tension. Certainly does mean that if someone catches the rear wheel though it's more likely to snap if it sees any sort of vertical load.

Certainly does mean that if someone catches the rear wheel though it's more likely to snap if it sees any sort of vertical load.

Like this? :p

http://img152.imageshack.**/img152/7186/vlcsnap26510.jpg

10 points for the person who guesses when, where and between what drivers this occured.

The RB5 brings pull-rod rear suspension back to Formula One for the first time in over 20 years.

I'd say it's fairly clear that they mean pullrods full stop:

Doesn't say anything about being specifically the rear.

Are you sure?
I'll quote it again: