2009 Toyota Corolla and Matrix debut at SEMA (suprise, the Corolla is still boring)

Elmo187

Car(s)
Cobalt SS/SC-SN95 5.0 Stang-Toyota Corolla AE86
Courtesy of AutoBlog

Finally got official shots from Toyota of the 2009 Corolla added to the gallery. While we're waiting for live shots of the car to arrive, we'll tell you a little bit about Toyota's new small car. The 2009 Corolla will come in five trims: Standard, LE, XLE, the "sporty" S and even "sportier" XRS. The car is about the same size as the last model, but the A- and C-pillars have been pushed out to give the greenhouse a more rakish look. Meanwhile, S and XRS models get a body kit that includes a chin spoiler, fog lamps, rocker moldings, spoilers and even an underbody engine cover to improve airflow beneath the car. Engines include the base 1.8L four-cylinder with dual-VVT-i producing 132 HP and 162 ft-lbs. of twist. The XRS alone gets a 2.4L producing 154 HP and 162 ft-lbs. of torque. Cars like the Honda Civic Si sedan shouldn't worry. S models also get 16-inch wheels that are unfortunately capped with wheel covers, while the XRS sports 17-inchers that are pure alloy.

There's no word on pricing yet, but the 2009 Toyota Corolla will be available in dealerships this February.

09_corolla_s_05.jpg

weird, the back still looks the same....:blink:good job Toyota on the originality....
09_corolla_s_07.jpg

Toyota unleashed the new Matrix in a Halloween-infused joint press conference here in Vegas. The production version of the new (Corolla) Matrix debuted across the street, but we were on hand to see the Rally version unveiled on the floor at SEMA. The new design lends itself well to some modifications, but like most of the vehicles here at the show, it's more about flash than function. The front-mount intercooler helps feed a supercharged version of the Matrix's 2.4-liter four. The OZ wheels and upgraded brakes speak to the concept's functionality, as does the stripped out interior, added fuel cell and multi-point rollcage.

(this is the Matrix Rally, AutoBlog is still gathering up pics and info on the production model)

matrix_rally_live_1280_02.jpg

matrix_rally_live_1280_09.jpg

Indeed boring, this Corolla is mostly just a downsized Camry SE. The Matrix on the other hand, thats just terrible.

Is that Rally Matrix an actual rally car. As in, preparing for another attack on the WRC? And if it is, will the cars be checked thoroughly to make sure Toyota are not cheating?

Just as I thought, the Corolla is a bigger, uglier Yaris. But wow, that rally Matrix is actually pretty cool! (if also ugly)

Just imagine how disappointing the ACTUAL Matrix will be! :dance:

production Matrix.....

Along with the new 2009 Corolla, Toyota unveiled its closest sibling, the 2009 Corolla Matrix at the 2007 SEMA Show in Las Vegas. Think of it as a Matrix wagon, though Toyota would like you to believe it's inspired by crossovers and SUVs yet has the "soul of a two-door sports car. Sports cars, however, usually come with larger motors than what the Matrix is packing. The five-door hatch can be had with either a 1.8L four-cylinder producing 132 HP or a 2.4L four generating 158 HP, both of which are shared with the Corolla sedan. Trim levels for the Matrix are trimmed down to just the Standard, S and XRS. Both engines are available with any trim level, and are paired with either a five-speed manual or four-speed auto with the 1.8L engine and five-speed auto with the 2.4L engine. The Standard model rolls on 16-inch steel wheels with a six-spoke wheel cover, while the S model gets 17-inch five-spoke aluminum wheels and the XRS wears 18-inch twin five-spoke rims.

09_matrix_xrs_06.jpg

09_matrix_xrs_05.jpg

Is that Rally Matrix an actual rally car. As in, preparing for another attack on the WRC? And if it is, will the cars be checked thoroughly to make sure Toyota are not cheating?

given that the matrix is not sold outside of north America... then no.. its not a real WRC rally car..

The new Corolla Sedan is really ugly, the hatch is okay though... I really have no idea why my mate switched to the new Corolla as soon as it came out, IMO, the old Corolla was so much nicer than this one.

TBH, I can't see any reason why people would buy this over the civic (they cost about the same in the US don't they?)

Is this Matrix going to be the same (under the skin) as the new Pontiac Vibe?

TBH, I can't see any reason why people would buy this over the civic (they cost about the same in the US don't they?)

Pretty much. The Toyota is alittle cheaper and alittle more efficient.
It's also cheaper to insure, thanks to the fast&thefurious idiots.

Wait, this is the Corolla they came up with after they did a re-redesign after the new Civic came out?

Quite lame, this.

^There was even an article about how even Toyota admitted that their design is not as modern or good looking as the new civic, both US and JDM version... read it on another forum, will have to try to dig it up.

Honestly, with this Corolla, the poor reliability/quality reports, I'm guessing its going to go downhill. Lets just hope they don't take Lexus down with them.

^There was even an article about how even Toyota admitted that their design is not as modern or good looking as the new civic, both US and JDM version... read it on another forum, will have to try to dig it up.

Honestly, with this Corolla, the poor reliability/quality reports, I'm guessing its going to go downhill. Lets just hope they don't take Lexus down with them.

Lexus still makes boring cars, but at least they are reliable as hell and quiet for the most part. Toyota fails on all fronts except for the Landcruiser and a few others not sold in the US.

ew ew ew :barf: take it away I don't want to see it again...sadly I will because everyone here is a Toyota nut. I can't wait to sell my car.

(with Clarkson's voice) "What the fuck is this!"

Is that a face lift or a complete redesign?? WTF it looks nothing like Auris that I sat in when I was in Japan. In fact, the Auris wasn't that good, but they've managed to make this even worse! I guarantee that this is going to be a bad car. It will be unreliable, badly built, and unwanted.

edit - Perhaps it's the body kit, but the Japanese Axis looks a bit better.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/2006_Toyota_Corolla-Axio_01.jpg

I guarantee that this is going to be a bad car. It will be unreliable, badly built, and unwanted.

unwanted? yes. badly built and unreliable? no. Toyota's will ALWAYS be reliable and have good build quality.

^unfortunately I agree... besides petrolheads like us, how many people are actually going to rear car reviews before buying them. I know so many old people who just buy a newer version Camry every time one comes out without even thinking. So despite it being unpopular in the petrolhead world, it will be popular among the general public. But if this car has alot of problems, the next corolla's sales will suffer, not this generation.

If you mean reliability by stuff like the engines and transmission, then yes. Otherwise, the interior trim and plastics are all dreadful. I know because I've sat in the Japanese equivalent, the Toyota Axis. I'm just having doubts about "Toyota reliability" these days. Sienna transmission failure, and engine sludge problems have changed my views.

You know theres a 3.5L V6 Corolla in Japan? 280HP to the front wheels! (theres also a 4WD version) Is there another FWD production car with so much power?
(Its called a Blade BTW)

And to agree with everyone, boring car.