2010 24 Hours of Le Mans - Race Week Thread

vikiradTG2007

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Working on it
Due to the scale of the event, it's probably better to separate the Le Mans discussion into another thread. So, ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, we are into race week for the 78th running of the greatest race in the world!

1000px-Circuit_de_la_Sarthe_track_map.svg.png

Warning: Image overload incoming...

Circuit_de_la_Sarthe_Ford_Chicanes.jpg

Mulsanne_Le_Mans.jpg

Dunlop_curves_2006_run_off_modifications.JPG

LeMans_PitStop2.JPG

Le_Mans_2008_Rolling_start.jpg

lm-straight.jpg

audi_r10_lemans_2007.jpg

alpinea442_lemans_1978.jpg

jaguarxjr_twr_1990.jpg

mazda_787b_lemans_1991_2.jpg

williams-mecachrome_1999_-85.jpg

Peugeot-908-HDi-05.jpg

Videos and the all-important prediction questions coming up in the second post...

Last edited:
Okay, some videos... going back in time from present day.

Onboards with the two challengers for this year's win, from last year's race...

The ground-pounding, sternum-shaking, fire-breathing GT1 'Vette...

The famous Porsche 956 onboard...

Mazda 787B

Nissan R90CK, an almighty 1150bhp beast...

A few videos that really give a sense of the variety of the sounds of Le Mans:

Okay, here come the questions:

1) Pole position time, pole and overall win?
2) Winners in LMP2, GT1 and GT2.
3) Will the GT2 winner finish ahead of the GT1 winner, like in Spa?
4) Will this year see the all-time distance record, set in 1971, finally fall?
5) Difference at the end of the race between the first two cars in LMP1 and in GT2?
6) What car will be the first retirement and after how many laps?
7) How many hours of rain do you predict during the race?
8) Will anything other than a diesel lead even a lap of the race?

Okay, discussion, just like race week, is underway.

Don't forget Radio Le Mans as your one-stop shop for all your informatory needs during the race. Also, Andy Blackmore's famous Spotter Guides as well. For French speakers, up-to-date news on Endurance-Info.

Last edited:
Nice topic!

Here's the schedule for this week (local time)
Wednesday, 9 June
16:00 ? 20 :00 Free practice
22:00 ? 24:00 Qualifying
Thursday, 10 June
19:00 ? 21:00 Qualifying
22:00 ? 24:00 Qualifying
Friday, 11 June
18:00 ? 19:00 Drivers' parade in Le Mans City center
Saturday, 12 June
09:00 ? 09:45 Warm-up
15:00 Start of the 78th 24 Hours of Le Mans
Sunday, 13 June
15:00 Finish of the 78th 24 Hours of Le Mans

Scrutineering was yesterday and earlier today, reports are online at radio le mans

I'm really excited for this year's race. Audi's back with an updated car, should make for some interesting diesel vs. diesel racing. Might even stay up and watch all 24 hours of the race.

1) Pole position time, pole and overall win? Time: About 3:21. Pole: Peugeot 908. Win: Audi R15 plus
2) Winners in LMP2, GT1 and GT2. LMP2: One of the Pescarolos. GT1: Either the Aston or one of the Corvettes. GT2: BMW M3
3) Will the GT2 winner finish ahead of the GT1 winner, like in Spa? No
4) Will this year see the all-time distance record, set in 1971, finally fall? I doubt it. I think it'll be another 5 or 10 years before that happens.
5) Difference at the end of the race between the first two cars in LMP1 and in GT2? 50-70 laps
6) What car will be the first retirement and after how many laps? The JLOC Lamborghini, took it just one lap to retire last year, likely won't take much more this year. I'm thinking it won't last more than two or three hours out there.
7) How many hours of rain do you predict during the race? Three or four.
8) Will anything other than a diesel lead even a lap of the race? Very unlikely. Unless the Aston Martins have really upped the ante this year, the diesels will reign for the whole race.

Last edited:
1) Pole position time, pole and overall win?
2) Winners in LMP2, GT1 and GT2.
3) Will the GT2 winner finish ahead of the GT1 winner, like in Spa?
4) Will this year see the all-time distance record, set in 1971, finally fall?
5) Difference at the end of the race between the first two cars in LMP1 and in GT2?
6) What car will be the first retirement and after how many laps?
7) How many hours of rain do you predict during the race?
8) Will anything other than a diesel lead even a lap of the race?

1) 3:20.xxx set by Peugeot #3 (Bourdais, Pagenaud, Lamy) and they'll also take the win
2)
P2: Highcroft HPD
GT1: Close one, either the Young Driver Aston or one of the 2 Matech Ford GTs
GT2: This is a toughie. I'll have a biased answer and go Corvette 1-2, with the BMW Art Car 3rd :p
3) It's possible, but only if most of the GT1 field end up retiring or have mechanical problems
4) Yes. I think the Peugeots have finally cracked it. If they can stay out of the pits, they've got a good shot.
5) LMP1 - 2 laps GT2 - 5 laps
6) A P2 that isn't Highcroft or has a Judd engine or the GT1 Lamborghini. 50-ish laps.
7) 4-5 hours
8) An Aston Martin will probably lead A lap but only if all the diesels happen to pull into the pits close together

Last edited:
Ah man, I know what it is, I was wondering why you think they'd win without Henry running the show anymore (poor guy).

There are two Pescarolo chassis in P2 run by Jacques Nicolet and OAK Racing (which are the guys who now own the IP to the Pescarolo chassis).

Also, the LMP1 and GT2 question needs clarification: I meant "predict the difference between the top two in LMP1 at the end of the race and do the same for the top two in GT2", not "the difference between 2nd in P1 and 1st in GT2". :)

As in "xx seconds between the top two in P1, x laps between the top two in GT2".

Last edited:
Ok so I want to watch my first 24h of Le Mans this year. The problem is I know almost nothing about it. I do know the 4 categories which participate there and a tiny bit of history but not more. What are the main things to know to be able to enjoy the race then? I suppose the differences between the 4 car classes are a must but what else?

My interest on the subject grew in the past couple of years so I kind of know the new Diesel mania with Audi and Peugeot in it.

The great battles that happen in the GT classes is something to pay attention to.

Ok so I want to watch my first 24h of Le Mans this year. The problem is I know almost nothing about it. I do know the 4 categories which participate there and a tiny bit of history but not more. What are the main things to know to be able to enjoy the race then? I suppose the differences between the 4 car classes are a must but what else?

My interest on the subject grew in the past couple of years so I kind of know the new Diesel mania with Audi and Peugeot in it.

I would most certainly recommend the previews on this year's le mans from Radio le Mans. They offer a great deal of insight what's going on in the four classes and every single entry is talked about. Although it might be a bit hard to follow if you're not that much into it. I'd certainly recommend having the spotter guide (available here close to you when listening to it because they often mention team names or numbers and you might not know where they're talking about.

Previews are available here:
GT2
GT1
LMP2
LMP1
Radio le Mans (for me) is an absolute must during the race, by far the best commentary available worldwide, imo.

Perhaps you already know all of this but it might be helpful for others anyway :p

Ah man, I know what it is, I was wondering why you think they'd win without Henry running the show anymore (poor guy).

Oh. I think they've been doing very well lately, so I have plenty of confidence in them. Could be wrong though, we'll have to see.

There are two Pescarolo chassis in P2 run by Jacques Nicolet and OAK Racing (which are the guys who now own the IP to the Pescarolo chassis).

Also, the LMP1 and GT2 question needs clarification: I meant "predict the difference between the top two in LMP1 at the end of the race and do the same for the top two in GT2", not "the difference between 2nd in P1 and 1st in GT2". :)

As in "xx seconds between the top two in P1, x laps between the top two in GT2".

In that case: P1: 2-3 laps. GT2: 5 laps

So I was listening to the RLM preview of GT1 and they mentioned how people were absolutely furious about the JLOC team back in 2009. I remember they were the first car to retire back then but I don't remember anything about what else happened. Can someone explain what happened?

So I was listening to the RLM preview of GT1 and they mentioned how people were absolutely furious about the JLOC team back in 2009. I remember they were the first car to retire back then but I don't remember anything about what else happened. Can someone explain what happened?

It was utterly ridiculous: they took just one lap to retire. I believe it was due to a technical issue of some sort (Update: Yeah, the driveshaft broke, although I don't understand why they didn't try to fix/replace it). RLM speculated that they were only doing the race to up the resale value of the car.

Last edited:
The driveshaft broke on their out-lap on Wednesday in practice, they scrambled to find one for Thursday and basically scrounged one off a Murcielago road car, none of the drivers did their prerequisite qualification laps, the car did no flying laps in quali or the warm-up, and it was retired after one lap; the mechanics told one of the RLM reporters "maybe a hose".

Plus, looking on RSC at the chassis history, that bucket of bits was the chassis they wrote off in a heavy crash in qualifying in 2007.